Are bigger tanks that much easier than nanos?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my 20g nano for nearly a year now. For the most part it’s been great but I have really struggled keeping motivated to keep on top of it. It swings like crazy and I find it hard to maintain at a stable level. Not to mention corals have barely grown in the year I’ve had them. Just lately they are starting to take off. I feel like I’m constantly behind on my tank and I’m wondering is a bigger tank a lot easier to maintain?

I find my nano to be less work then my big tank. It has an ATO so no swings and I do a 5g water change now and again. Big tanks can mean bigger water changes and making more RODI for top off.

The big tank evaporates more and theres more area for potential issues... more sand bed to get dirty and such and a skimmer to clean... the nano doesn't even need a skimmer.

My easiest tank to take care of was a 5g nano. Do a 90% water change every 1-2 weeks which is only like 3 gallons and thats it. No dosing, no testing, put a glass lid on it so no evap. Done.

Bigger does not mean lazier. They still require maintenance.

You still need to find your motivation... you will need to make more RODI, mix more salt, still requires testing, big tanks need dosing, and so on...

Last edited:

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have never done a nano but the idea of just doing a 90% water change sounds so good. I had a 75 gallon, a 90 gallon a 175 gallon and a 300 gallon. Think about doing just a 10% water change, 30 gallons a week not for me. More lights, more rock, more fish, more corals, bigger equipment, more equipment. What does it really mean a lot more time and lots more money. Plus the on going expense is a lot more. I am working on a much smaller build 65 gallon Red Sea 300xl I will have close to 5 grand in it before fish and coral. A 300 gallon you can have most of that in just lights. So you have to be a bit more careful in your maintenance and your choice of fish and corals in a smaller tank, no tangs in a nano even a 65 gallon is small except maybe a smaller bristletooth tang.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find my nano to be less work then my big tank. It has an ATO so no swings and I do a 5g water change now and again. Big tanks can mean bigger water changes and making more RODI for top off.

The big tank evaporates more and theres more area for potential issues... more sand bed to get dirty and such and a skimmer to clean... the nano doesn't even need a skimmer.

My easiest tank to take care of was a 5g nano. Do a 90% water change every 1-2 weeks which is only like 3 gallons and thats it. No dosing, no testing, put a glass lid on it so no evap. Done.

Bigger does not mean lazier. They still require maintenance.

You still need to find your motivation... you will need to make more RODI, mix more salt, still requires testing, big tanks need dosing, and so on...
My picos are jars (with lids) so water loss from evaporation is minimal. It's great not having to do top-offs more than once a week -- and a water change usually takes care of that. Picos are also self limiting -- you really can't squeeze any more into an itty bitty space, or add lots of expensive equipment, so I find that I have to be very selective about what goes into one. It's also much easier to do a complete 360 on a pico build, so potential problems typically don't have places to hide and develop.

Last edited:

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah simply due to water volume gives you a little more stability if something goes wrong . Honestly 75gal are pretty cheap now a days . I recomend them as great starting options and basically it's the same foot print as a 55 just a little deeper

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, vastly. But also a dam more expensive.

But once setup and designed properly, they can pretty much remain vary stable. I have a lazy mans approach to husbandry and larger tanks allow me to use nature do most of the tank maintenance as much as possible.
Example I never hoover the sand, or blast the rocks, or clean the sump.
My testing is now mostly for dkh, ph and salinity, and that’s now probably just once a week.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have never done a nano but the idea of just doing a 90% water change sounds so good. I had a 75 gallon, a 90 gallon a 175 gallon and a 300 gallon. Think about doing just a 10% water change, 30 gallons a week not for me. More lights, more rock, more fish, more corals, bigger equipment, more equipment. What does it really mean a lot more time and lots more money. Plus the on going expense is a lot more. I am working on a much smaller build 65 gallon Red Sea 300xl I will have close to 5 grand in it before fish and coral. A 300 gallon you can have most of that in just lights. So you have to be a bit more careful in your maintenance and your choice of fish and corals in a smaller tank, no tangs in a nano even a 65 gallon is small except maybe a smaller bristletooth tang.
5k for a 65g is expensive ;)

reefers do not need the most expensive or lates gear at the start. One can spend as little depending on if you want the latest gizmo.

I spent a lot on my DT and stand, but the rest I just made a budget and bought as time went on.

eventually a larger tank will end up more expensive, but reefers can take their time :)

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, vastly. But also a dam more expensive.

But once setup and designed properly, they can pretty much remain vary stable. I have a lazy mans approach to husbandry and larger tanks allow me to use nature do most of the tank maintenance as much as possible.
Example I never hoover the sand, or blast the rocks, or clean the sump.
My testing is now mostly for dkh, ph and salinity, and that’s now probably just once a week.
This is the approach I hope to achieve. We are building a 180DT with a DIY basement sump that is built from a used 125g. Skimmer section is 20g, Refugium 25g and a 46g center return. I made it so I can do a 30g water change right at the sump as the return section has a drain right into the sewer and my DIY mixing station is right next to the sump. Also got a roller mat filter so no socks. It has been some $$ and a ton of work but my intention is to make it as simple as possible to maintain.

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been reefing for 20 years now and it a yes on no matter mine biggest tank was a 110 love it for 10 years the tank didn't have to do much to it water change once every 3 months tested once a month it was great had to move for work sold it all lost all the time and money I put in to it keep some of the rock to start a new tank a my new place but I couldn't go over 30 gallon so I pick up a 32 bio cube I was testing ones a week and water change once a week no big deal I work and I was happy with it last year I move it to a new house I can have a size tank I want the same tank move easy but I had have power out the tank is be up a down all over the place so I ordered a 180 tank I lost Coral fish test twice a week I just miss my big tank

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my 20g nano for nearly a year now. For the most part it’s been great but I have really struggled keeping motivated to keep on top of it. It swings like crazy and I find it hard to maintain at a stable level. Not to mention corals have barely grown in the year I’ve had them. Just lately they are starting to take off. I feel like I’m constantly behind on my tank and I’m wondering is a bigger tank a lot easier to maintain?
If you can not keep on top of a nano, I doubt going bigger is going to solve anything. I have a 300 and a 50 currently. I have had numerous 12- 29 gallon tanks in the past. The small tanks were very easy as it take 5 minutes to do weekly water changes. That should be 95% of all you need to do on most nano tanks. No need for a skimmer or filter socks. My 300 takes much longer to do a water change and there is way more equipment to maintain, 7 assorted pumps, 4 heaters, ATS, filter socks, dosing pumps, supplements.
2 of my nano tanks were the most enjoyable I have had.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it’s all about automation no matter what the size to have the best stability. Auto dosing , auto top off, auto feeding , auto water changes. It don’t get better or more stable then that :)

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5k for a 65g is expensive ;)

reefers do not need the most expensive or lates gear at the start. One can spend as little depending on if you want the latest gizmo.

I spent a lot on my DT and stand, but the rest I just made a budget and bought as time went on.

eventually a larger tank will end up more expensive, but reefers can take their time :)
If you look at price of red sea reefer 300xl then add lights, rock, sand, skimmer, pumps, salt, ro/di, test kits 5 grand is being realistic. You can do a petco tank and hang on the back skimmer and filter but then you will be upgrading in the future. I priced out various manufactures, like jbj, red sea, waterbox, sca, innovative and they all price out close to the same. I did not price with the latest or what is considered the best but I do know what I really spent. When you start out cheapest it might be best even to see if you stay in it plus you learn a lot. If you plan on softies, lps or sps also dictates lighting and flow so cost. But like many of us I started early 80's and upgraded equipment and going larger display a number of times. I have read where people have spent more than that on a 40 gallon display. Since I got rid of everything when I moved I have to start from scratch difference this time around I am buying brand names with known good customer service from known dealers and no not all red sea, and I do not have a LFS except petco. Buying things spread out does not change the final price tag it just does not hit the bank account all at once but you might save buying at once with discounts. With the stimulus money I purchased the equipment and I am waiting for tank to be back in stock. No Chinese knock offs and where I can, not manufactured in China. Sicce pumps are not the cheapest but also far from most expensive and they come with 5 year warranty unlike Jabeo might last a year then throw away and buy another. I could go bigger with out spending much more, problem is what is bigger, at one time I wanted to go to 500 gallon or larger but after having a 300 gallon for 8 years I am fine with smaller and it will make the wife happy plus living on fixed income. I have seen people spend thousands on just their stand to please the wife. My wife said it has to be a good piece of furniture to be in main room and not a bunch of wires showing and has to be quiet. Everything in this hobby the cost is relevant to the end desire and design.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at price of red sea reefer 300xl then add lights, rock, sand, skimmer, pumps, salt, ro/di, test kits 5 grand is being realistic. You can do a petco tank and hang on the back skimmer and filter but then you will be upgrading in the future. I priced out various manufactures, like jbj, red sea, waterbox, sca, innovative and they all price out close to the same. I did not price with the latest or what is considered the best but I do know what I really spent. When you start out cheapest it might be best even to see if you stay in it plus you learn a lot. If you plan on softies, lps or sps also dictates lighting and flow so cost. But like many of us I started early 80's and upgraded equipment and going larger display a number of times. I have read where people have spent more than that on a 40 gallon display. Since I got rid of everything when I moved I have to start from scratch difference this time around I am buying brand names with known good customer service from known dealers and no not all red sea, and I do not have a LFS except petco. Buying things spread out does not change the final price tag it just does not hit the bank account all at once but you might save buying at once with discounts. With the stimulus money I purchased the equipment and I am waiting for tank to be back in stock. No Chinese knock offs and where I can, not manufactured in China. Sicce pumps are not the cheapest but also far from most expensive and they come with 5 year warranty unlike Jabeo might last a year then throw away and buy another. I could go bigger with out spending much more, problem is what is bigger, at one time I wanted to go to 500 gallon or larger but after having a 300 gallon for 8 years I am fine with smaller and it will make the wife happy plus living on fixed income. I have seen people spend thousands on just their stand to please the wife. My wife said it has to be a good piece of furniture to be in main room and not a bunch of wires showing and has to be quiet. Everything in this hobby the cost is relevant to the end desire and design.
Thanks for the explanation/ journey. It’s never easy on us reefers TBH, once we step into that rabbit hole it can get very expensive fast.

reason why when I downsized to a 55 gallon temporarily, I did not get rid of my LR, my current DT/stand/sump and most kit because I knew I was going to get back to a larger tank. E.g I let my LR live for nearly 5 years in a tub because I know how expensive it would be to get a fresh one in the future.

crazy hobby.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation/ journey. It’s never easy on us reefers TBH, once we step into that rabbit hole it can get very expensive fast.

reason why when I downsized to a 55 gallon temporarily, I did not get rid of my LR, my current DT/stand/sump and most kit because I knew I was going to get back to a larger tank. E.g I let my LR live for nearly 5 years in a tub because I know how expensive it would be to get a fresh one in the future.

crazy hobby.
Yes I did the same with live rock as I was out for a while do to health problems and had purchased my 300 gallon display which sat for years. When I sold it and everything else I was not planning to start another tank but hard to stay out of hobby.

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redsea and waterbox make some nice all in one tanks that they have figured out the filtration for you but I comes with a cost and a 40 breed is not a big tank and it a good place to start I think will be fine with any size tank if you what to depend on what you look to do with it LPS and a couple of fish I think will do fine SPS a lot harder to do but it can be done and do you want a bigger tank someday if you do I would do think at that

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went from 55 g, to 60g cube/sump, then to evo 13.5 (current), waiting on the Waterbox x90 I ordered. Weeks and weeks.... . Hahahhah. . .. I totally agree with some guy above saying nano's are easier. On the Evo, I change the floss every 4 days, (lid is on,) top off r.o. every 3 days, and do 30% water change about every 7-8 days. . Easy peezy.... The evo is a piece of cake. The evo is the easiest tank I've ever owned. Now ... That being said. IVe just done fowlr (at first) or fish/live/softies/lps.(lately) I prefer a simple, straightforward approach. I've only ever dosed all4reef. And that stuff certainly does work! And I can't wait to have a bigger tank again. When and if it ever shows up! Bigger is not necessarily more stable than a nano if u just spend 5 seconds to check on the tank daily. Some people are just lazy and don't do A little amount of work and then wonder about it when things go wrong. But ... I do love me some SUMP and toys (bigger tank)

Last edited:

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s be careful when define “easier”, for small tanks water chemistry is far more complicated you have to be very careful. But your equipment is smaller, easier to fix and cheaper. For a large tank the first thing we think about is money not complexity, large tank have far more equipment and that adds a lot of complexity too. It is a matter of trade off and sometimes about how much money you are willing to put in the hobby.

Exactly... depends what you mean by easier. Big tanks are more forgiving because any changes, especially negative ones, take a lot longer to have an impact and you have more time to correct for them.

However, there is much more equipment in a large tank. For example in my old 250l tank I had two flow pumps and one return pump. In my current 1900l tank I have eight flow pumps and two return pumps... So even though I have automated several tasks (water changes, RO/DI top up tank refill etc), I still have to maintain more equipment. In fact, this is one aspect that for some reason did take me by surprise and I still don't know why I didn't see it coming. But still loving the much larger tank! ;Joyful ;Happy.

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say its better I went from a 12 to a 75 gallon...the corals seemed to expand more and look better the salitnity doesnt seem to swing as much it can go a week without top off in cool weather...only negative I think in my opinion is making more saltwater for water changes.

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my first tank a nano 20g its a year and half old
And it does have issues but I only dose and don't change water so I guess easier for me to controller
I like the hands on of a nano
I have 5 systems and 4 of them are nanos
Then I own a 20,000g pound lol
No in-between for me
Either massive or tiny

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say its better I went from a 12 to a 75 gallon...the corals seemed to expand more and look better the salitnity doesnt seem to swing as much it can go a week without top off in cool weather...only negative I think in my opinion is making more saltwater for water changes.
Well going down to an 80 gallon system in many ways easier than a 300 gallon system. 8 gallons vs 30 gallons for water change but never did them as that would be 120 gallons a month. Less equipment, less maintenance time and less power so lower cost. But I thought about trying a nano at some point. You figure a big water change is easy on a 65 gallon tank one Brute can but try that on a 280 gallon tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back