Are Bio Pellets becoming a thing of the past?

FloodWaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a slow tumble in a modded phosban reactor and have had pretty good luck with the BRS pellets so far. My only complaint is when the pellets grind down small enough to bypass the filter screen in my reactor, I find little bio pucks in my sump every now and again. I have not noticed any ill effects from these few "escapees" in about 2 years of running the reactor.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is y I got this reactor and was 50$ total with a 400ml bag. I love it and does a perfect job and I’m at less then 2 inches but had it 1/2 full and swirled the bottom and the top tumbled about. Then emptied was just 2 see so a Q product for cheap.

image.jpg

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run bio pellets on this tank since 2016 and the issues with them it needs lots of maint as it gets blocked with slime and needs cleaning once a month and remove media and sieve out the small bits and top up if needed
DSC_7966 fts fathers day.JPG
,i have never had a nitrate problem and corals are good.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw a media bag of them in my sump if I want to beat nitrate down. No reactor, no fussing, just works.

A sump full of chaeto though requires lighting, chaeto grow, and other things that make money for reef shops. Bio pellets are just balls of starch. Not enough profit margin as some guy running chaeto and brainwashed he need a $300 reef light or it won't grow.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw a media bag of them in my sump if I want to beat nitrate down. No reactor, no fussing, just works.

A sump full of chaeto though requires lighting, chaeto grow, and other things that make money for reef shops. Bio pellets are just balls of starch. Not enough profit margin as some guy running chaeto and brainwashed he need a $300 reef light or it won't grow.
Don't they need the tumble to make them work? I thought that you need to knock the bacteria off them

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think with auto dosers and so many ways to dose carbon, pellets are less used than they used to be?

Back