Are brand name tanks with warranties worth it? (Also recommendations for ~5-7' peninsulas welcome)

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stand corrected. Your website is actually much better then the last time I visited it. I now wish I would have seen your newer site before making my decision. Had to sacrifice in a few areas to keep the other company in my budget.
I also appreciate how you are active on this site.
all good. always looking for ways we can serve better. Thanks so much.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're a military family.... just go steal ya a tank from surplus

tank GIF

Oops wrong kinda of tank

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying that Glass cages and IM Nuvo use the same techniques and quality (aluminum stand for IM for example. But this is a heck of a price difference that I cant seem to understand. ~$3,000 difference.
PhotoGrid_Plus_1627879368555.jpg

PS I hadn't been on Glass Cages page in many many years and I have to admit it is pretty darn good!! @Joe Glass Cages

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying that Glass cages and IM Nuvo use the same techniques and quality (aluminum stand for IM for example. But this is a heck of a price difference that I cant seem to understand. ~$3,000 difference.
PhotoGrid_Plus_1627879368555.jpg

PS I hadn't been on Glass Cages page in many many years and I have to admit it is pretty darn good!! @Joe Glass Cages
Thanks for the feedback @chaostactics. Lets see here. very interesting. Hard to tell if it is apples to apples. I can speak for the Glass Cages product. Very proud of the Glasscages Team. they are doing incredible things.

There is a company for everyone. have to find the right fit.

Thanks for sharing!

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty crazy price difference. The Cade has a really nice aluminum stand as well. Going to be a bit more expensive than the Nuvo but cheaper than glass cages. I actually have 2 cades. The 1500 and 1800. Love them both. I do have 2 Nuvo as well, granted the are much smaller (nuvo 40 and nuvo 14). I love the build on them as well but the aluminum stands are what I love most on the cades. Never have to worry about having to replace it. i haven’t seen a downside to the aluminum stands as of yet.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty crazy price difference. The Cade has a really nice aluminum stand as well. Going to be a bit more expensive than the Nuvo but cheaper than glass cages. I actually have 2 cades. The 1500 and 1800. Love them both. I do have 2 Nuvo as well, granted the are much smaller (nuvo 40 and nuvo 14). I love the build on them as well but the aluminum stands are what I love most on the cades. Never have to worry about having to replace it. i haven’t seen a downside to the aluminum stands as of yet.
Yes the aluminum stand is one of the things I'm enticed by on the Nuvo. I've had 3 or 4 Nuvo ranging from 20 something to two of the 40 all in ones. All were great tanks I just wanted to move to something with a sump. When I move back to the mainland I really want a peninsula they're just waaaaay too expensive to ship here.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to remember IM/Redsea/waterbox these are all set design none custom mass push out tanks while they are good for what they are these other vendors such as Glass cages build custom to what exactly you want which comes at a cost as no build is the same. Unlike Redsea/waterbox where they are pumping out the exact 20 or so tanks daily glass cage is building something new and different per customer which comes with its own cost.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a custom miracles tank, they said any stand was ok long as had solid top and foam.

Years later it got a leak, it happens, was due to some acrylic they cut too long in the external overflow. Accidents occur even with top builders. How they handle it is the key.

I called them, the owned didn’t ask the age of the tank or the stand. He said find a glass store and we will pay to fix it.

there was no local store that does aquariums so he flew from Canada to my house and personally fixed the tank. Said if it didn’t work they would ship me a new tank. The owner of a place that makes some of the best tanks in the world and sells 30k or more tanks a year took several days out of his schedule to fix my 150g tank.

So in my experience picking a quality builder really pays off.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to remember IM/Redsea/waterbox these are all set design none custom mass push out tanks while they are good for what they are these other vendors such as Glass cages build custom to what exactly you want which comes at a cost as no build is the same. Unlike Redsea/waterbox where they are pumping out the exact 20 or so tanks daily glass cage is building something new and different per customer which comes with its own cost.
Nicely stated @Frostblitz20. There is a fit for everyone's needs.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a custom miracles tank, they said any stand was ok long as had solid top and foam.

Years later it got a leak, it happens, was due to some acrylic they cut too long in the external overflow. Accidents occur even with top builders. How they handle it is the key.

I called them, the owned didn’t ask the age of the tank or the stand. He said find a glass store and we will pay to fix it.

there was no local store that does aquariums so he flew from Canada to my house and personally fixed the tank. Said if it didn’t work they would ship me a new tank. The owner of a place that makes some of the best tanks in the world and sells 30k or more tanks a year took several days out of his schedule to fix my 150g tank.

So in my experience picking a quality builder really pays off.
That really impressive.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely stated @Frostblitz20. There is a fit for everyone's needs.
I'm actually debating on looking into buying a tank from you guys in about 4-5 months when i close on my new house i just cant decide yet on the design and how big... i know i want around a 6ft tank due to my gf will only let me blow money if i put a blue tang in the tank...

Just gotta fight myself on a normal tank or a Peninsula style tank..

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't say enough good things about Joe and Glasscages. My tank doesn't have water yet but I have combed every inch of this tank and they knocked it out of the park for me.

He**, talking to Joe alone is worth something in my book! Never once did he push me in any direction. Asked where it was going, what my plans were, the space I had, things I liked or didn't like about my current tank, and helped me get a good plan going.

As for tank design, I will never do a rimless tank again. What a nightmare with water constantly splashing over the edge. Not worth it at all. A eurobrace also allows me to hide the screen tops better. If you want to see my tank, check out my build thread.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really really really like my next tank to be a "large**" peninsula tank.

We're a military family so we could buy a tank from a local builder but I feel like the warranty would be less portable than one from Red Sea, Water Box, Innovative Marine etc.

I think the Nuvo EXT is the closest to what I'm looking for, though I'm not a huge fan of the Euro bracing.

On the other hand no big name company has exactly what I want.
*>>>And drilled for a closed loop<<< I feel like I've never seen a big name builder with a closed loop option.
*~6'-7' tank without a huge water volume looking for >200
*At least a 2 but ideally 3 hole overflow.

**150-200 ish gal in volume. Definitely not large to some.
Former military myself, so I know the struggle. I got a 100 EXT and it's a great tank, great build quality with the APS (aluminum stand). I'll never go back to a wood particle board stand that so many (higher priced) brands are still making. I was lucky to get mine about $700 less than current pricing straight from IM shortly after COVID started winding down.

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an Aqua Vim pennisula tank and I love it. My previous tank was a custom rimless tank that started separating so I had to get a new tank.

I decided to get a tank, stand and canopy combo from Aqua Vim. The front of the peninsula is curved so there are only 2 vertical seams in the back and the top is eurobraced. The bottom inside is also braced. The glass is 5/8”.

They delivered the tank, stand and canopy to my house. They packed it really well. I definitely recommend Aqua Vim tanks.

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently while theorizing/shopping for a 180/200 gal class aquarium I concluded the Innovative 200 Nuvo Int was my favorite and it seemed like a really good 'value'. I looked at the Innovative Nuvo 170 Int, Red Sea 900/1000 and WaterBox Reef 220.6/Reef LX 230. I felt the Innovative was the best construction/design and I liked the flexibility of not being tied to the manufacturers sump design/system. With all that being said, I found a 2 year old Waterbox 230.6 for a smoking hot price with all my 'preferred' components that I couldn't resist.

Nuvo200Int.jpg

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an Aqua Vim pennisula tank and I love it. My previous tank was a custom rimless tank that started separating so I had to get a new tank.

I decided to get a tank, stand and canopy combo from Aqua Vim. The front of the peninsula is curved so there are only 2 vertical seams in the back and the top is eurobraced. The bottom inside is also braced. The glass is 5/8”.

They delivered the tank, stand and canopy to my house. They packed it really well. I definitely recommend Aqua Vim tanks.
Pics? After having years of cheap curved cubes from biocube, nano cube, and maybe even my first IM tank I couldn't stand curved tanks. But yours has me really intrigued.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back