Are brand name tanks with warranties worth it? (Also recommendations for ~5-7' peninsulas welcome)

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really really really like my next tank to be a "large**" peninsula tank.

We're a military family so we could buy a tank from a local builder but I feel like the warranty would be less portable than one from Red Sea, Water Box, Innovative Marine etc.

I think the Nuvo EXT is the closest to what I'm looking for, though I'm not a huge fan of the Euro bracing.

On the other hand no big name company has exactly what I want.
*>>>And drilled for a closed loop<<< I feel like I've never seen a big name builder with a closed loop option.
*~6'-7' tank without a huge water volume looking for >200
*At least a 2 but ideally 3 hole overflow.

**150-200 ish gal in volume. Definitely not large to some.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks are a personal choice. I have 5 tanks running between my quarantine and displays. ALL do the job. From the cheap Aqueon and Marineland, Perfectos, Tetras, to the pricier ones. You pay for rimless, you pay for Starfire. Longevity? My aunt has two tanks with metal frames that I remember before preschool. Lets just say they are over half a century old. I don't feel that price will make the tank last longer. I look at them like ladies look at their bags. My daughters buy ridiculously priced bags and love them. My wife buys more "practical" bags. Does one hold the contents better than the other? I think not. I have a Prostar rimless which is a nice tank and I have an SCA which is very nice as well. Warranty is important on larger tanks and if you're going for your own stand on a larger build will the manufacturer honor the warranty? Good luck

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From one military person to another you may want to consider euro bracing from company’s like CDA, miracles glass cages.
moving a tank every 3 to 5 years the top and bottom bracing may help prevent problems. CDA also has 5 year warranty on tanks if you use their stands. You may want to send some emails out to them.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks are a personal choice. I have 5 tanks running between my quarantine and displays. ALL do the job. From the cheap Aqueon and Marineland, Perfectos, Tetras, to the pricier ones. You pay for rimless, you pay for Starfire. Longevity? My aunt has two tanks with metal frames that I remember before preschool. Lets just say they are over half a century old. I don't feel that price will make the tank last longer. I look at them like ladies look at their bags. My daughters buy ridiculously priced bags and love them. My wife buys more "practical" bags. Does one hold the contents better than the other? I think not. I have a Prostar rimless which is a nice tank and I have an SCA which is very nice as well. Warranty is important on larger tanks and if you're going for your own stand on a larger build will the manufacturer honor the warranty? Good luck
I think all manufacturers say you have to buy their stand. Which is fine TBH I've built plenty of stands but nothing over 4' long.

My current tank is an SCA 80. I had really really good experience with Steve right at the start but he's also a small operation and can be hit or miss with contact.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all manufacturers say you have to buy their stand. Which is fine TBH I've built plenty of stands but nothing over 4' long.

My current tank is an SCA 80. I had really really good experience with Steve right at the start but he's also a small operation and can be hit or miss with contact.
I had an excellent experience with Steve as well. Damaged tank was replaced and arrived in two weeks. I built my own stands I've done in the past many times. So far so good.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an excellent experience with Steve as well. Damaged tank was replaced and arrived in two weeks. I built my own stands I've done in the past many times. So far so good.
Ditto my was damaged on arrival too. Got a new tank pretty rapidly. Then asked him a few months later a couple of times for a quote on a larger tank and didn't hear back

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t rule out eurobracing either. It might take a minute visually to adjust to it but added strength and ease of cleaning the glass without splashing is so much nicer. Also less jumpers and easier to fit a netted lid.

I went through CD aquariums. Waiting on mine to arrive. I would completely rule out RedSea. I follow the Facebook page and it is constant seam issues. They have good CS but man do you really want to deal with it?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t rule out eurobracing either. It might take a minute visually to adjust to it but added strength and ease of cleaning the glass without splashing is so much nicer. Also less jumpers and easier to fit a netted lid.

I went through CD aquariums. Waiting on mine to arrive. I would completely rule out RedSea. I follow the Facebook page and it is constant seam issues. They have good CS but man do you really want to deal with it?
My CDA is supposed to arrive with in two weeks. Armored seems are included also.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love and prefer magnet skin stands I'm disappointed to see no peninsula tanks aside from a small frag tank
CDA will make the tank however you want. My wife vetoed me getting a peninsula. They also have magnetic skin stand. I went with wood wrap

I recommend you call not email CDA, miracles and glass cages. None of them have great web sites. But they will give you a warm and fuzzy after talking to them.
CDA gave me as close to what I wanted as I could get in my price range.

I didn’t go with glass cages because I did not see any steel stand options.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CDA will make the tank however you want. My wife vetoed me getting a peninsula. They also have magnetic skin stand. I went with wood wrap

I recommend you call not email CDA, miracles and glass cages. None of them have great web sites. But they will give you a warm and fuzzy after talking to them.
CDA gave me as close to what I wanted as I could get in my price range.

I didn’t go with glass cages because I did not see any steel stand options.
@Kershaw thanks so much for the mention. truly appreciated.

regarding our website, please share what we could do to improve it from your perspective. We love constructive feedback. this allows us to improve to meet everyone's needs better.

Sorry you didnt see out steel stand offerings. They are there on the website.

Thanks so much for the support!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really really really like my next tank to be a "large**" peninsula tank.

We're a military family so we could buy a tank from a local builder but I feel like the warranty would be less portable than one from Red Sea, Water Box, Innovative Marine etc.

I think the Nuvo EXT is the closest to what I'm looking for, though I'm not a huge fan of the Euro bracing.

On the other hand no big name company has exactly what I want.
*>>>And drilled for a closed loop<<< I feel like I've never seen a big name builder with a closed loop option.
*~6'-7' tank without a huge water volume looking for >200
*At least a 2 but ideally 3 hole overflow.

**150-200 ish gal in volume. Definitely not large to some.
I've got on order a new 180 6x2x2 new build Visio tank on order. I've got it being built peninsula style. Trapezoid overflow on one side with three holes already drilled.
Three return holes drilled, No euro embracing and only a single pane center glass support. It'll cost me under a thousand.

I don't know how that can be beat.

Semper Something!

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kershaw thanks so much for the mention. truly appreciated.

regarding our website, please share what we could do to improve it from your perspective. We love constructive feedback. this allows us to improve to meet everyone's needs better.

Sorry you didnt see out steel stand offerings. They are there on the website.

Thanks so much for the support!
I stand corrected. Your website is actually much better then the last time I visited it. I now wish I would have seen your newer site before making my decision. Had to sacrifice in a few areas to keep the other company in my budget.
I also appreciate how you are active on this site.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a larger tank I would say a warrantee is worth while. Although if you do some research you'll find some people have had difficulty getting manufacturers to stand behind their products. If you plan to get a new tank and immediately void the warranty (drilling for closed loop, etc...), then why even worry about it?

Back