Are butterflies generally more bold than other fish?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a copperband in my DT going on 3 years (along with a tang, dwarf angels, gramma, maroon clown pair) that will hand feed and will practically swim inside the food cup to eat . Its also the only fish in the tank that doesn't hide when I have my hands or a giant net in the water. A month ago, I ended up with two longnoses, kept in two different QT's, and both of them very quickly recognized the feeder cup and swim to meet it . Both longnoses never hide and both were charging to the cup like lightning within a few days of getting them. Is this just an anomaly, or are butterflies just more bold than other fish , as far as with people, not other fish?

Peter C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a copperband in my DT going on 3 years (along with a tang, dwarf angels, gramma, maroon clown pair) that will hand feed and will practically swim inside the food cup to eat . Its also the only fish in the tank that doesn't hide when I have my hands or a giant net in the water. A month ago, I ended up with two longnoses, kept in two different QT's, and both of them very quickly recognized the feeder cup and swim to meet it . Both longnoses never hide and both were charging to the cup like lightning within a few days of getting them. Is this just an anomaly, or are butterflies just more bold than other fish , as far as with people, not other fish?
Really depends on the fish and the environment. I think most fish (tangs, angels, butterflies, clowns, etc.) have the potential to exhibit this confident behavior, especially when it comes to food. Triggerfish are especially known for it. I have worked with some butterflyfish that are super shy even after a long time and others which are much more confident. In general I have noticed butterflyfish tend to be on the more shy side compared to angels and triggers. If they aren't bullying your other fish and everyone is getting enough food I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you have some happy confident butterflies, enjoy!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a boisterous, active butterfly you’re often set up for success.
A lot of the shy butterflies will starve much more easily and tend to wither after a while.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 chickens and 2 bold fish.
My tangs hide as soon as my hand goes in so will my algae blenny however the flame angel is very curious and my mandarin just doesn't care he's a bad boy.
I have 2 fish coming tomorrow and if they are anything like the old ones I had, they should be bold too.
Flame Hawk and CBB!!! Can't wait!!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 chickens and 2 bold fish.
My tangs hide as soon as my hand goes in so will my algae blenny however the flame angel is very curious and my mandarin just doesn't care he's a bad boy.
I have 2 fish coming tomorrow and if they are anything like the old ones I had, they should be bold too.
Flame Hawk and CBB!!! Can't wait!!!
Good luck with the tangs and CBB!!
Looking forward to hearing about how it goes :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back