Are candy cane pistol shrimp hermaphrodites?

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just picked up a second candy cane pistol shrimp and was going to add it with my existing much smaller candy cane. I know other shrimp species are hermaphrodites but wasn't sure if the same applied for pistol shrimp? I have a pico tank I can add him to in they won't be compatible.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just picked up a second candy cane pistol shrimp and was going to add it with my existing much smaller candy cane. I know other shrimp species are hermaphrodites but wasn't sure if the same applied for pistol shrimp? I have a pico tank I can add him to in they won't be compatible.
Pistol shrimp need a mate to reproduce and have set sexes. The female is most receptive right after a molt and if you can get them to pair they are monogamous. But it's a dangerous game trying to pair them up if it goes wrong you could easily lose one or even both if the fight is bad enough.

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well good thing I put him in the pico! Thank you for the info!
I did read on another website that the best chance at figuring out the gender is that females typically have a broader abdomen and broader pleopods, but if i can get a good look at the little one in the tank I MAY try it. But it's better to have two alive than two dead.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back