Are Captive Bred Fish More Susceptible to Diseases?

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude you keep saying a fish with ich cannot be cured, they can! end of story. Do you think ich can be cured from a fish?
Wow reading Comprehension isn’t your strong suit is it?! The fact that a fish survives ich and no longer shows visible signs of the disease is not proof of cure or eradication, just that the pathogen is no longer at a level that can negatively effect the animal. Even Ryan and Randy at BRS touched on this in one of their FAQ videos about quarantine best practices. Maybe you will believe them.

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had them for years, with a blue tang, a sailfin tang, a queen angel, and a moorish idol. All of them for years no ich. Are you seriously telling me all this tangs symptom free for years could have ich? That is hilarious.
This is absolutely true how bought you do an experiment since you believe you have eradicated all disease in your tank since it’s been symptom free for years? Stress your fish out with high water temps not enough to kill them just stress them out for a couple of days where they are kind of lethargic and laying on the bottom gasping from time to time and let me know if Ich doesn’t magically show back up in your system.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not, how would I know? I dont claim to have a microscope not know how to use one. I bet half the people on here that do watcher a YouTube video and think there good to go.

i wish the fish did have ich, and that was the only battle. All my fish go thru 14 days of copper, 2.2 or higher , no dips, drops or cross contamination. They survived that, then decided to not eat and soon die. Give me velvet too when they come, I can stop that with copper, but ich isn’t what’s killing then, poor designed breeding, bacterial, or something everyone will continue to guess at while spending 100s of dollars on them
These fish from biota are babies and not fully developed. It is not wise to subject them to a harmful chemical like copper. Could have been part of why they stopped eating.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D
This is absolutely true how bought you do an experiment since you believe you have eradicated all disease in your tank since it’s been symptom free for years? Stress your fish out with high water temps not enough to kill them just stress them out for a couple of days where they are kind of lethargic and laying on the bottom gasping from time to time and let me know if Ich doesn’t magically show back up in your system.
Dude nobody believes ich cannot be erraticated but you, just stop.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said it a million times. But I get it you joined the forum in the last two years and have read enough bro testimonials to be an expert
Yeah you got me on this. I ment they couldn’t breed fish exposed to ich because the tiny fry would all die. But I didn’t clarify that. And did give an absolute on that. But the arguments premise was about wether ich can be erraticated.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Compared to the ocean, 1 fish in a 90 gallon tank, a wrasse say, is considered overstocked. Took a bio class and said the life to water ratio in the ocean was something like a frag of coral in a swimming pool. Let’s assume a 3 inch frag to at least 15,000 gallons of water in a pool. Probably less now with all the coral die off across the planet .
You're missing the point. the point was that a let's pretend 200 gallon tank with 1 baby tang compared to a tank with 6 large tangs. One of those tanks will have Ich multiply at an extremely high exponential rate if it were to become infected.

Ich can be eradicated 1) there are studies that show that after 11 - 12 generations - assuming no active infections - it can naturally die off. Also quarantining fish (properly) - and putting them in a sterile tank - can eradicate it. Lastly - if you don't believe me - ask Aquabiomics to share their data on the number of tanks with Ich DNA present.

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D

Dude nobody believes ich cannot be erraticated but you, just stop.
Then put your fish were your mouth is! And literally every respectable aquarist knows that ich can not be eradicated it can just be controlled. Tell me this since you’re clearly a biologist and a medical professional what disease in the last two thousand years has man been able to completely eradicate from the human species? I ask you this because of the billions of dollars in research peoples entire lives devoted to eradicating one disease process over entire lifetimes and yet we have only been attempting to medicate fish and animals for possibly the last 100 years with no where near the funds or manpower dedicated to it and you believe we can 100% eradicate one of their diseases and haven’t been able to do it to a single disease that effects the human race?!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well - it's kind of interesting - Ich becomes much less infectious at higher temps. But - perhaps you meant a lower temp? Or some other stress?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with that, I thought you were saying acquired immunity is useful protection against metazoans and I don’t think it is.
Jay
Correct - I was saying that there is SOME immunity - there are lots of theories about why person ABC gets 'worms' - but person DEF does not. Part of it is thought to be immunity (most of it 'innate' - rather than acquired/specific.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich can be eradicated 1) there are studies that show that after 11 - 12 generations - assuming no active infections - it can naturally die off. Also quarantining fish (properly) - and putting them in a sterile tank - can eradicate it. Lastly - if you don't believe me - ask Aquabiomics to share their data on the number of tanks with Ich DNA present.
Oh thank god somebody said ich can be eradicated. I heard the opposing argument so many times that I think I was beginning to believe it:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're missing the point. the point was that a let's pretend 200 gallon tank with 1 baby tang compared to a tank with 6 large tangs. One of those tanks will have Ich multiply at an extremely high exponential rate if it were to become infected.

So as a biologist myself if you go 11-12 generations without the introduction of new genetic material aka population diversity ich will be the least of your problems sure in a perfect lab situation with 100% sterile environments you can eliminate it that being said your biota and normal aquaculture facilities aren’t going to that length the costs would be enormous and nobody would be able to afford their livestock also for all intensive purposes it is not obtainable to completely eradicate ich, velvet, or brook so yes you are right in a 100% controlled lab experiments with the strain diluted by several generations of lab grade specimens it’s feasible you only further my point that you have to remove the parent fish to eliminate the disease.

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thank god somebody said ich can be eradicated. I heard the opposing argument so many times that I think I was beginning to believe it:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
You did read about how very costly and unobtainable that goal really is right. Also its a 100% sterile environment maintained over generations without the introduction of new stock so think about what generations of inbreeding did to the royal families

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - it's kind of interesting - Ich becomes much less infectious at higher temps. But - perhaps you meant a lower temp? Or some other stress?
I just want him to stress the fish once temp is brought back down to a normal level ich will appear due to the fishes weakened immune state i don’t want the fish to die just use the stressing event to induce the response that we all know it will have.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then put your fish were your mouth is! And literally every respectable aquarist knows that ich can not be eradicated it can just be controlled. Tell me this since you’re clearly a biologist and a medical professional what disease in the last two thousand years has man been able to completely eradicate from the human species? I ask you this because of the billions of dollars in research peoples entire lives devoted to eradicating one disease process over entire lifetimes and yet we have only been attempting to medicate fish and animals for possibly the last 100 years with no where near the funds or manpower dedicated to it and you believe we can 100% eradicate one of their diseases and haven’t been able to do it to a single disease that effects the human race?!
Here are my fish where my mouth is. Not positive what you meant by that, but I’ll use it as an excuse to bring some color to this nasty little argument we have found ourselves in. I would like to apologize if I said anything rude to anybody.

Attachments

• A3D85BA4-F499-4835-AC4F-5823396FE03E.jpeg
    A3D85BA4-F499-4835-AC4F-5823396FE03E.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 0338E6D7-2EB5-48E4-8BEA-1B8504314B0D.jpeg
    0338E6D7-2EB5-48E4-8BEA-1B8504314B0D.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 24

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my fish where my mouth is. Not positive what you meant by that, but I’ll use it as an excuse to bring some color to this nasty little argument we have found ourselves in. I would like to apologize if I said anything rude to anybody.

Nice fish..

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a very nice tank your Moorish Idol is beautiful be careful the tang police are going to get you. Like I said before we just need to agree to disagree. What you consider cured and what others consider cured are two different things with my understanding of your thinking that I have gathered from this debate is you feel as though you haven’t had any outbreaks or symptoms that it’s clearly not viable in your system however I and many others are of the opinion that just because your fish look healthy and they don’t have any signs or symptoms doesn’t mean it’s not there. The ultimate way to put this at rest would to be a DNA analysis taken from multiple areas in the tank and sump but that’s ridiculously expensive so like I have said and will continue to say nothing is 100% except death and taxes.

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly certain ich is not a virus or a bacteria so I don't understand the comparison to human disease.
Not every human disease is a virus or bacteria. However it’s a living organism not unlike viruses and bacteria. If you want to compare it as a parasite then find me a parasite that affects humans that we have eradicated in the history of humanity?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not every human disease is a virus or bacteria. However it’s a living organism not unlike viruses and bacteria. If you want to compare it as a parasite then find me a parasite that affects humans that we have eradicated in the history of humanity?

That is silly convo to have. The point is to keep ich out of the enclosed system not cure the oceans of it.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So as a biologist myself if you go 11-12 generations without the introduction of new genetic material aka population diversity ich will be the least of your problems sure in a perfect lab situation with 100% sterile environments you can eliminate it that being said your biota and normal aquaculture facilities aren’t going to that length the costs would be enormous and nobody would be able to afford their livestock also for all intensive purposes it is not obtainable to completely eradicate ich, velvet, or brook so yes you are right in a 100% controlled lab experiments with the strain diluted by several generations of lab grade specimens it’s feasible you only further my point that you have to remove the parent fish to eliminate the disease.
You are saying something I was not. I said some studies have suggested - that in an aquarium situation - assuming no further additions, that a given strain of CI can/may die out within 11-12 generations. I did not say that it always would, nor that it would in a given tank - I said this is what research suggests. There is also research to suggest that over time - assuming no significant active infections that Ich can have far less infectivity.

You are mis-stating what I said about '100% sterile environments. I was talking about - say a person who starts a tank with dry (sterile) rock, water ,etc - and tank raised fish - the assumption would be - especially if those fish were treated with copper, etc beforehand - that there will be no ich in that tank (i.e. its eradicated) - something you said was 'impossible'.

If you take a fish with Ich (subclinical) - treat it with copper for 30 days according to protocol - the vast likelihood is that Ich on that fish will be eradicated - such that when you add it to a tank with no Ich - There will be none.

As to the parent fish - I don't get your point. The parents would always be removed from a breeding tank - or they would eat the fry.

Lastly - I suggested that you perhaps contact @AquaBiomics and get his data on the presence of CI in aquaria (hardly a sterile lab sample) - and ask how many tanks have CI present. If it's not (assuming his parasite DNA tests work) - Ich is eradicated (or below detectable/infections levels). Right>

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back