Are clams always supposed to be extended? (W Pics)

MuddyPeaks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Fairly new at reefing (going on year2) and i recently got a clam. Side note before i get into this: I am waiting on an ICP test and will list my parameters at the bottom. Now for the narrative:

It seems happy for the most part, but recently it seems to have moved itself 180° degrees, and i noticed one side does not extend as much as the other, as well as it is now closing itself more than before, but will remain with it's mantle extended still. Is that normal? Or should it always be extended completely?

Below: fully extended, this is before it moved itself (this corner, closer to the intake, extends more than the other side)

Screenshot_20210601-232051.jpg

Bellow: it has turned itself, now it is more obvious to me that on this side (closer to the outlet?), the corner does not extend as much

It is also closing more often as you can see here, but will keep it's mantle out

IMG_20210604_112704__01.jpg

Parameters (taken at time i took the sample for the ICP test so I can compare numbers, 5.30.21):
kH 9.5, CA 435, Mag 1440, Nitrate 10, Phosphate 0.037

I am fighting the phosphate even before the clam, and had GFO but took it out Bec I read it can irritate clams

Happy to answer questions and take any advice

czynot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derasa open wider than maximum. they do retract after light out.

OP
OP
MuddyPeaks

MuddyPeaks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it should always be fully extended during the light hours. Low flow and strong lights are their requirements
Mnh, I will try to adjust the flow and consider moving it- i did place it in the sand bed Bec i thought it could get a moderate amount of both light and flow there but perhaps that is where I am going wrong <:/

Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
MuddyPeaks

MuddyPeaks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derasa open wider than maximum. they do retract after light out.
It will open briefly in the morning but not even a few hours in it's looking like this smh
Today or over the weekend I'll get some carbon and do a water change and see if that helps
I was hoping they might could get moody from time to time but it seems i was right to worry..

Thank you for your response

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mnh, I will try to adjust the flow and consider moving it- i did place it in the sand bed Bec i thought it could get a moderate amount of both light and flow there but perhaps that is where I am going wrong <:/

Thanks for the input!
if you turn off all your pumps the clam should fully extend its mantle , if it is the flow thats causing the problem. If it doesnt fully extend with all pumps turned off, then you can eliminate flow as the problem and look to other suspects.

OP
OP
MuddyPeaks

MuddyPeaks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a derasa clam. Is he new? How big? Derasa don’t require intense lighting. 150-200par is good.
Small clam under 2” will need feeding.
651A99A0-7447-42FD-9674-9D8B6C86DBFA.jpeg
Yes, it is new, got it May 9th
I did feed it at first bec yes it is small- I'd say 1.5", but i have been slacking on target feeding it lately

Yours look awesome btw!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back