Are Clarkii Clownfish Really As Bad As People Say They Are?

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a pair of small clarkiis from my lfs the other day as I think they look cool. I’ve read that they are demons to the point that they will rip your arm off if you put it into the tank? What are your personal experiences with them? I would love to hear!

(They are going into a 75 gallon tank)

73B7FFBF-4DB6-4F3E-802D-43D10AF2EA82.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently they’re the biggest bullies of all clownfish (I’ve steered clear based on reputation alone). They can also apparently get quite big (I saw one at a LFS that was a good 4-5” and ugly as sin).

Last edited by a moderator:

Totlxtc

2 wheeled Idiot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to use a net with one hand to keep them at bay when doing any kind of maintenance in the tank. My pair could and would draw blood if they got ahold of skin.

69reefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally experienced all the above comments, and yes they do get very large and lose their attractiveness.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so they really are that bad... have they went after your other fish?

Totlxtc

2 wheeled Idiot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only kept as a pair by themselves so can't comment on how they fair with others.

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair. Definitely got big; at least 4+ inches. I didn't find them to be bullies but I didn't have any delicate fish in with them. Also may have helped I had a 12" RBTA in there that they mostly kept to. I really enjoyed having them. Unfortunately I moved and they were stolen from me.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two pairs of clarkiis. One was lost due to a move. My other pair are great. I love them. They have so far been the nicest of my clowns. They try to intimidate me when I go into the tank, but nothing compared to my damsels. Now, mine are still young (maybe 3 years +). I have not yet seen eggs. They have two large nems for a home and are happy to hang there. My female is easily 3-4" and the male is tiny really. Got at same time.

My percs way back when were horribly mean. As were my blackfoots. We will see as these guys age how they do.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair. Definitely got big; at least 4+ inches. I didn't find them to be bullies but I didn't have any delicate fish in with them. Also may have helped I had a 12" RBTA in there that they mostly kept to. I really enjoyed having them. Unfortunately I moved and they were stolen from me.
Stolen??!

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large clarkii with a percula and two skunks. Since it is so much bigger it cruises around like a bus and gives no thought to the others who give it plenty of respect.

Don't ask me how I ended up with this goofball situation. I regret helping a buddy.

It is a big timid baby for the most part when it comes to me. Same with the skunks. The percula actually comes closest to my hand during feeding.

I have a ton of anemones which helps. Haddonis, gigs, and btas

I would vote maroon to be the meanest. Not clarkii.

Last edited:

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one now. It is extremely aggressive if I put my hand in the tank….surprisingly aggressive. I’ve been trying to get it out but unsuccessful to this point. I am working on a plan to go fishing for it with mysis shrimp on a tiny hook.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems for me. Had a breeding pair for 3 years and they were never aggressive to me or other fish. I lost the female 2 years ago so just a a single now but still no problems. They do get quite large.

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stolen??!
Yup. Moved from CA to PA. I was already in PA. Hired my LFS guy to box up all my fish/coral and ship it to me. He decided to just take it back to his shop and sell it all. I lost all my stuff and never got any cut of the money. Probably lost 5-10K worth of stuff. Not much I could do unless I wanted to fly back to CA and get a lawyer to deal with it. Had just started a new job so it couldn't manage that. That's why when I now moved from PA to HI I'm doing all the fish/coral moving myself.

Sorry, don't mean to get off topic.

I would love to have another pair of Clarkii though. Mine were "Galaxy" Clarkii. Don't know if that makes a difference. I've had Maroons that were way more aggressive.

Last edited:

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my clarkiis for 7 months they do go after my chromis but they are to fast for the clarkiis . I am in my tank putting stuff back were it belongs and have never been bit by one yet. But my neon goby will clean my arm.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back