Are Clarkii Clownfish Really As Bad As People Say They Are?

sante21079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this pic of my 180G when I had my Clarkii's. That nem is 10-12" at that point.

DSC05649.JPG
DSC05627.JPG
Is that a paddle fin wrasse in that second picture?

NeverEnough84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Clarkii and the female is super aggressive. She nips at anything I put in the tank. Tongs/Turkey Baster/my hands, etc.

My LFS advised me to bring them back in for store credit, as they will continue to bully things. I've added a branching hammer frag (euphyllia) and luckily she hasn't messed with it too much. I saw her take one nip the first day, but hasn't disturbed it since. Fingers crossed.

They "loved" my bubble tip anemone too much. To the point of exhaustion for the poor thing. It would get battered up constantly; like a kid tossing and turning trying to get comfy in a sleeping bag that was too small. Eventually, the nem just shriveled up and sadly, I removed him yesterday from the tank. The two clarkii's still hover where it used to sit.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this an older thread, but I wanted to chime in and share my experience. I have probably kept about a ten species of clowns and currently have 7 species (in different tanks). I have found maroons to be more aggressive thank clarkii, although the maroon pair that I have right now are not aggressive toward me even when they are guarding eggs. Tomatoes can also be aggressive, but mine haven’t been aggressive toward me. The most aggressive pair that I have right now are fire clowns and the female is always ready to attack and had broken the skin more than once.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this an older thread, but I wanted to chime in and share my experience. I have probably kept about a ten species of clowns and currently have 7 species (in different tanks). I have found maroons to be more aggressive thank clarkii, although the maroon pair that I have right now are not aggressive toward me even when they are guarding eggs. Tomatoes can also be aggressive, but mine haven’t been aggressive toward me. The most aggressive pair that I have right now are fire clowns and the female is always ready to attack and had broken the skin more than once.
my small allardi/clarkii have been giving hell to my large firefish in a 75g system but ignores the midas blenny...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ounce for ounce, clownfish are by far the biggest jerks in the reefing world.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are pretty layed back they do chase my green chromis around but they are way to slow to catch one. I think they are awesome
16454725445107178180518477834399.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a pair of small clarkiis from my lfs the other day as I think they look cool. I’ve read that they are demons to the point that they will rip your arm off if you put it into the tank? What are your personal experiences with them? I would love to hear!

(They are going into a 75 gallon tank)

73B7FFBF-4DB6-4F3E-802D-43D10AF2EA82.jpeg

I have no clue why anyone would talk bad about them. I have 2 and love them. I have kept many at a store and never had issues with them.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a clarkii and a maroon get along well if they were the only 2 in the tank?
Maybe? If the tank is too small they will probably dispute territory, especially if there is 1 nem/2 fish. Since they are different species they may not fight as much as two of the same species? If they are both large adult females or if they are both juvenile fishes will also play into the chemistry of any relationship. If they are known jerks, put them together and make a video of the battle.

Fight Punch GIF by Godzilla vs. Kong
Put that on pay per view. :) When the battle is over use the proceeds to buy a bigger tank and nice fishes. :)

Back