Are clowns kinder to their tankmates if they are placed in the tank last?

Reckotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently posted another thread about how to break up territories in order to introduce new fish to the tank. (Clownfish beats verything up, shrimp kills the rest) However, we have a killer coral banded shrimp and the new plan now is to move the shrimp to a new tank, which made me think; why not move the clowns as well, since they get along with the shrimp?

This will leave me with a 50 gallon tank with no fish.

If i put in the more peaceful fish and let them estabish, are there any "guarantees" that a new pair of clowns would be kinder to the other fish in the 50gal when they are put in last? Or might they still flip one day when they are older and start murdering things they previously got along with?

Is there any species that you have found being more peaceful than other clowns?
Will one single clownfish be kinder compared to a pair?

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, the last fish added to a tank will become less aggressive.

Sometimes clownfish can be really aggressive if they are laying eggs. I had a friend who had to remove his pair of clowns because they became so territorial over their eggs that whenever he stuck his hands in the tank, they would bite him nonstop. You won't always be able to see the eggs, and usually the juveniles will not survive long enough for them to be visible, so it is not easy to tell if they are actively breeding.

Usually, ocellaris clowns are the most peaceful, and the Maroon clownfish are the most aggressive. Everything else falls in between. Perculas are also pretty docile.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Get rid of the clown.
They're stupid fish anyway.
And it's hard to tell what their behavior will be like down the road.
Is it possible you might have a docile guy, yes.
Is it also possible that it will nip your arm anytime you do anything in the tank, yes 100% yes!

A 50g is perfect for a few flashers, just saying tho...

:D

OP
OP
Reckotch

Reckotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replies. I will look further into the flashers, might just move the clowns +shrimp to their own tank and go for more peaceful fish altogether in the big tank and be happy with the clowns i have now- but safely away from other fish. As to the nipping: the female is a real bitey and has been for over a year. I don't THINK they have any eggs though.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every clown is different but adding last could help. I have a maroon (the most aggressive) and the only time she's mean is when a banggai tries to sit in her anemone

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back