Are Diver's Den fish really any healthier than other fish

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some context. I was watching a video where a guy said that if you don't want to quarantine that the best option for you was to get diver's den fish because they have been quarantined, and are less likely to get diseases. Has anyone gotten diver's den fish that have come with parasites or are they really generally healthier fish?

ClownBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non quarantiner here. Ive had very good experiences with my fish purchased from divers den, they've always come fat and tend to start eating the same day which is always a relief. I believe the fish are conditioned to eat prepared foods already as well.

Have been disease/parasite free for me, my system is going on 2 years.

I definitely only buy with a 15-20% off coupon tho lol

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top two contentious issues: tang police and QT.

Honestly, if you are going to QT (as I do), you cannot possibly trust anyone else's protocol but your own. Of course you want the healthiest possible fish. But you still have to QT them (if you are a QT person) yourself in the final stage before introduction to your treasured DT.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was starting to stock my tank, I tried to only source from DD. I did get mostly healthy fish from them, but there were some that came with parasites or diseases. Usually worms, ich, or a bacterial infection. One poor Bellus came with a wound that didn’t show on the wysiwyg picture.

As my tank became “ full”, I became more selective on what I wanted to add, so I bought from liveaquaria, and others. I would even drive the 2 hours to my LFS if I knew they had something I was interested in. I have to say that the fish I bought from these other options, although far fewer in number, were about as healthy as though from DD. Still a small percentage of problems, and more serious problems like velvet, swim bladder issues, and DOAs.

And all of these fish went through at least 30 days of observation before being promoted to the DT. I did catch problems there, such as velvet on a liveaquaria fish, before introducing it to the DT.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought a few fish from DD, I honestly was a little nervous bc of their parent company and the poor reputation they have for their fish in stores. But honestly they are some of the healthiest fish ove ever bought. (Diver den specific wysiwyg, not just the LA section)

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diver’s Den is awesome because:
*Fish are listed that are often difficult to find.
* DD fish are eating - great for finicky fish like CBB.
* Fish have been conditioned & undergone some quarantine.
* Fish are wysiwyg. Collection location & size are noted.

But what I respect most about Live Aquaria is that they encourage you to QT all new arrivals. Even DD fish. Diver’s Den is very conscientious. I ordered a pair of DD gladiator clowns that they pulled before shipment, because they observed an issue. They offered me a nice substitute pair or the option of a refund. So any fish they send out has been evaluated for health.

To truly quarantine you have to follow protocols listed on this forum by @Humblefish. Otherwise diseases can slip through when fish show no symptoms. Yes even DD fish can have diseases. You will see on other posts where this has happened. But DD encourages you to quarantine & offers the 2 week guarantee. So it is a great source, especially for hard to locate fish.

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t gotten from DD in a few years, but my recent LA order was absolutely terrible. 75% death rate within the first week and full of parasites. Since that order I’ve stopped buying from LA. I don’t trust their fish, I would definitely qt yourself.

To those who have purchased recently, Is DD any better than the regular fish? (Not trying to hijack your thread OP :) thought this question might be beneficial to you as well )

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD fish are always less risky than regular LA fish. DD fish have been observed, conditioned, undergone some QT and are eating. LA fish have not had this screening. DD fish still need further quarantine observations.

When you QT use @Humblefish protocols.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost every fish in my DT came from DD. I still QT them, but have had very few issues caught in QT. Most are fat and happy, and you can't beat their 14 day guarantee.

OP
OP
Old Fritz

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top two contentious issues: tang police and QT.

Honestly, if you are going to QT (as I do), you cannot possibly trust anyone else's protocol but your own. Of course you want the healthiest possible fish. But you still have to QT them (if you are a QT person) yourself in the final stage before introduction to your treasured DT.
Oh trust me I learned the hard way like many other people to quarantine. Like I said I just saw a video where someone said if you don't have a qt to get divers den fish. Which I don't like the idea of because fish without symptoms doesnt mean they aren't carriers for something

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some context. I was watching a video where a guy said that if you don't want to quarantine that the best option for you was to get diver's den fish because they have been quarantined, and are less likely to get diseases. Has anyone gotten diver's den fish that have come with parasites or are they really generally healthier fish?
Mine died on Days 5 and 6 after arrival. My credit will be used on corals ...

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD fish always seem healthier than anything at the LFS: depending on species observation time may need to be longer. I don't medicate any of the fish I receive, but also don't throw them in the DT without observing in QT first. The last fish I got from them (Pintail Fairy Wrasse) came in great shape, two weeks observation, now two months in DT and doing great. Wait for a coupon; their prices have creeped up lately and have become a little higher than they should be in some instances.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a fish die that was purchased from DD. 5 years, 2 tanks, maybe 15-20 fish.

I do not qt and use a method very similar to @Paul B

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have it on pretty good authority that DD fish are basically fish that have limited availability and/ or are over a certain price point. Therefore are given better care because they tend to be isolated into less crowded tanks. Obviously, high priced fish are going to get better care than a tank full of damsels. Otherwise protocols are the same.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont agree with 'what the guy said about not QT'ing fish from DD vs other places. If you QT - you shoudl probably keep using that protocol for every fish you buy. If you dont QT - don't QT fish from Divers Den. Whenever these discussions come up - part of the question is 'what is QT'? Is it QT with observation, QT with medications, how long, etc etc etc etc. I think its why there is such a debate - because everyone has a different Idea.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back