Are electric blue hermit crabs the most "reef safe" hermit crabs available?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For me and many others- it’s the tiny Caribbean blue leg hermits

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Scarlets. They also prefer older shells and not shells of fresh kills. Also a huge plus in a nano.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely adore my Caribbean blue legs, I collect them myself. They’re itty bitty and very pretty, they don’t seem to be picky about shells either- I often find them in shells so worn down they look more like pebbles or they have holes in them. They don’t steal from coral (I have a lot of LPS I feed) and aren’t big enough to bother anything. They’re also good because they can easily be provided with old snail shells and many LFS give them to you for free or very cheap since they tend to have them anyway

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come to find out there is no "reef safe" crab. That being said I have Scarlets and the tiny blue legs. I've watched a hermit eat a snail and take its shell, they will steal food from whatever then can, and the least damaging thing they do is crawl over and climb up corals. I haven't caught a hermit eating polyps yet like I have emerald crabs... even with their minor annoyances I still keep them as they do a good job of cleaning up left over food.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two scarlets. They do get a bit bigger than the blue-legs I think, but not very big. I *think* I read they max out at 1-1.5” shells. Mine are zero serious trouble. A few times I’ve had to shoo them away from irritating feather dusters by picking at their tubes or from sitting on a coral I’d just fed, and most recently one is in search of a new shell and only wants the shell the other is in — I’ve had to pull them apart a couple times over that, but they’re generally very easy and well behaved.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big are they? would it attack my 3 blue legs or vice versa?
I have scarlets in my 16 ans 32 gallon cubes. No, neither will attack the other. Scarlets attack literally nothing ever. Blu legs only murder other blue legs. Like I have prolly 30+ old shells in my 32 and they only want the shell another blue leg is in.

Edit: Scarlets are barely bigger than blue legs. I’ve had my oldest one for 4 years and she’s in a shell about the size of a quarter. I doubt they get any bigger than that.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a Scarlett who picked at a pipe organ a few times but I like the bright red color. I find the small blue go after the aestra snails for their shells but seems to be the best worker crab.

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 electric blue, 2 (1st and 3rd) didn't eat corals and they died under mysterious circumstances, their bodies consumed by the time I know they are dead.
The second one is a little monster that started munching on zoas within seconds of being dropped into the water.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had to banish my Electric Blue Hermit to the Clown nano tank. Kept picking on the new Florida Fighting Conch I just got. 3 times I took him off and relocated him the the other side of the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back