Votes: 11 2.0%

• Total voters

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand why you need to use a GFCI outlet but I got to thinking about what would happen if you were on vacation & had no one to look after your tank while you were gone. If the circuit was thrown for any reason & no one was there to reset it you would probably lose everything in your tank. With the length of time we have had home aquariums many people have never had them & still don't so are they really needed.

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very necessary. Imagine what would happen if you put your hand in the aquarium and you have stray voltage!! Better to be safe than sorry. Great example my two your old was running with a cup of water near a power surge. She tripped and fell directly on it and the water spillage tripped the gfci. I don’t even want to imagine what could’ve happened if that gfci would have never tripped.

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very necessary. Imagine what would happen if you put your hand in the aquarium and you have stray voltage!! Better to be safe than sorry. Great example my two your old was running with a cup of water near a power surge. She tripped and fell directly on it and the water spillage tripped the gfci. I don’t even want to imagine what could’ve happened if that gfci would have never tripped.
Wouldn't a probe help with the stray voltage though?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO as long as you have the proper breakers in your panel you should not have an issue. GFCI is a great safety item but they can also leave you with issues. They trip easier and more often than standard circuits, especially if you are running a lot of equipment. There really isn't a perfect system when it comes to saltwater tanks in the home or anywhere else for that matter.
Best thing if you have kids is to educate them or if they are infants, put locks on the cabinets...

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to protect it with a gfci breaker that is another route but a little bit more expensive.
That looks like the way to go.
If I understand it, this would act like a regular breaker & reset itself. correct?
What size would you recommend?
Thanks

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, If you don't have a gfi but do have a grounding probe the situation becomes more dangerous if voltage makes it into the tank.
I don't have either one at this point, I've had aquariums on & off for 30+yrs & never used either one. I like the gfci breaker idea though. I think I'm going to look into that.

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size of the wire running through your outlet. 14 Awg would require a 15 amp breaker and 12Awg would require a 20 amp breaker.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have either one at this point, I've had aquariums on & off for 30+yrs & never used either one. I like the gfci breaker idea though. I think I'm going to look into that.

Also, a titanium heater with a three prong plug achieves the same thing as a grounding probe

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm going to go away for an extended period of time , I will plug my return pumps into a regular outlet , other then that everything is on a gfci circuit. We did rely on drip loops before gfci.
That's a good way to do it.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used GFCI outlets for three years on my tank and have never had one accidentally trip. If it trips a GFCI for a reason I don't think you want the power to remain on under those circumstances. You may not have a house when you get back. I alway have someone come by every day to check on the cats anyway. I also have a battery backup on my MP10's just in case I loose power. They will last until someone can go by and check on the tank. I would be cautious using outlet with the arc fault function also though.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the surge protectors do those count as a GFCI? Or the extension cords with a GFCI?

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used GFCI outlets for three years on my tank and have never had one accidentally trip. If it trips a GFCI for a reason I don't think you want the power to remain on under those circumstances. You may not have a house when you get back. I alway have someone come by every day to check on the cats anyway. I also have a battery backup on my MP10's just in case I loose power. They will last until someone can go by and check on the tank. I would be cautious using outlet with the arc fault function also though.

I also have a BB on my MP40 but I'm one of those that doesn't have a backup person to come by my house. I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence.

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got major zapped and will never not have one again. I converted to dc pumps and the only thing I have now that’s ac is my heaters.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back