Are Green and blue chromis compatible?

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the answer is almost definitely no, but im stoll curious for a definite answer. So my question. Would a blue and green chromis school together? I mean like i get why they wouldnt, because theyre different species, however they are both chromis so there is a chance they would.

Even if they wont school together i want to know if they are compatible, because chromis are part of the damsel family. So would they attack each other?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So the answer is almost definitely no, but im stoll curious for a definite answer. So my question. Would a blue and green chromis school together? I mean like i get why they wouldnt, because theyre different species, however they are both chromis so there is a chance they would.

Even if they wont school together i want to know if they are compatible, because chromis are part of the damsel family. So would they attack each other?
When I mixed them at my store, it was a war

Upvote 0

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have green, blue reef and Bicolor in together and they coexist. Blue reef and green will swim together. The bicolor wont even swim with each other.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have green, blue reef and Bicolor in together and they coexist. Blue reef and green will swim together. The bicolor wont even swim with each other.
That is interesting, that means that it is possible, however based on other things ive heard it seem to imply that they wont school. Other than that ive heard that they're generally compatible, although the post above is saying it was war, so id have to be careful, i have a small separation/aclimation box that i can float in the tank, so i think ill use that when i get the blue chromis.

Upvote 0

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that Vanderbilt Chromis would co exist with the blue or green Chromis

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even get like chromis to get along tried them twice and once I ended up with 1 and the other time I ended up with 1.
That has happened to me too, although i believe this is due to the fact i got them from petco which from what ive heard doesnt quarantine their animals, and since i dont have room for that at home, it mightve dies from disease

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, not ever.

Upvote 0

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people report short term experiences with chromis (well that’s true with lots of fish to be honest). ’Short term‘ as in not the life of the fish, or less than a year or two.

A full grown blue reef chromis (the one that remains, because that is what happens in most tanks) is a semi-aggressive fish in my experience, and one I had in particular was very aggressive. Much more like a traditional damsel when large. Green I have less experience with.

The X factor here is large tanks, some seem to be able to maintain groups in large tanks.

Upvote 0

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a group of about 15 greens, 3 blue reef, 5 vanderbilt, and 3 bicolor in my old 380 gallon. I also had 5 staghorn damsels, and a ton of other damsels. No fighting at all, but they were all started small, and I had a 10" niger trigger that patrolled and was tank boss. Didn't eat the fish, but would randomly chase them at times. Kept all the chromis in a nice school together and it looked great for a couple years until I tore the tank down.

Upvote 0

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be helpful to specify which particular species you are referring to. The name blue chromis is often used for Chromis viridis, C. atripectoralis and C. cyanea while green chromis is used for the first 2 only (both are also referred to as blue-green chromis).

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always thought they were the same fish ….
Some lfs label them as blue green chromis some name them blue or green .

I can’t keep 2 of the same no matter what .
It doesn’t matter how many I start with. Eventually there will only be 1

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back