Are gyre pumps good and how many would you get for a 180 gallon tank?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you get one big one or two smaller ones?
I have a 187g, 60"x30"x24" with 2 XF250's. I absolutely love them. I personally wouldn't recommend running just one of them. Part of what I like about having one on each end is that along with providing the alternating gyre flow, the flow will also collide in various parts of the tank causing periodic localized chaotic flow. I do run them on the Maxspect controller.

OP
OP
M

MickeysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 187g, 60"x30"x24" with 2 XF250's. I absolutely love them. I personally wouldn't recommend running just one of them. Part of what I like about having one on each end is that along with providing the alternating gyre flow, the flow will also collide in various parts of the tank causing periodic localized chaotic flow. I do run them on the Maxspect controller.

What speed do you have them on?

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 good to know! I wasn't sure about the gyre, so I went with one XF250 and an MP40 on the other side. But I have no idea how to set these 2 pumps. I do LOVE the gyre though! I think I am getting excellent flow. I cleaned the glass last night and could see particles going everywhere! But I haven't mastered the controller to know what is what yet, and not sure how to pair it with the MP40 so they aren't clashing too much. @MickeysReef sorry to hijack your post, but thought it would help to know my set up too, and maybe you could get something out of my questions :)

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same setup. I would recommend the dual 250s very highly.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 130's in a 48 L x 18 W x 21 D running at 50% and a mp40 to mix the middle down low. I really like this setup!!

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I will need to add to my list to save up for another XF250.

Problem is we had one dumb moment - we didn't leave any room between the wall and the tank, so we don't have room for the MP40 on the back wall! @jsker that was what I was thinking!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 good to know! I wasn't sure about the gyre, so I went with one XF250 and an MP40 on the other side. But I have no idea how to set these 2 pumps. I do LOVE the gyre though! I think I am getting excellent flow. I cleaned the glass last night and could see particles going everywhere! But I haven't mastered the controller to know what is what yet, and not sure how to pair it with the MP40 so they aren't clashing too much. @MickeysReef sorry to hijack your post, but thought it would help to know my set up too, and maybe you could get something out of my questions :)
Unless you are using a controller like an Apex, I'm not sure you can make them work together very well. If you do use a controller for them you could let the Gyre ramp up for awhile, then have the MP40 ramp up with it, then slow the gyre back down then slow the MP40 back down. Keep repeating that pattern every 5 to 10 minutes if possible or at least once every 45 minutes.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 2 280 on a 400 with a couple of Vortechs. So far love the flow they give. I'm only running them at 50 %

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 130's in a 48 L x 18 W x 21 D running at 50% and a mp40 to mix the middle down low. I really like this setup!!
I'm keeping my MP40's to put on the back wall so I can have them ramp up a few times a day just to stir things up but I doubt I will need to do that for at least a year or two while my coral grows.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we didn't leave any room between the wall and the tank, so we don't have room for the MP40 on the back wall! @jsker that was what I was thinking!

You still have time to move. Drain the DT down and adjust the plumbing and be happy:):D

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm keeping my MP40's to put on the back wall so I can have them ramp up a few times a day just to stir things up but I doubt I will need to do that for at least a year or two while my coral grows.

I messed up, I have my on the back wall of the tank 2/3 down. When the current meets in the middle the MP40 pulls the current down and circulated the aerated water through the bottom of the tank.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are using a controller like an Apex, I'm not sure you can make them work together very well. If you do use a controller for them you could let the Gyre ramp up for awhile, then have the MP40 ramp up with it, then slow the gyre back down then slow the MP40 back down. Keep repeating that pattern every 5 to 10 minutes if possible or at least once every 45 minutes.

I do have the new apex. But saving up for all of the fun modules that go with it!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have the new apex. But saving up for all of the fun modules that go with it!
I hear ya! I was originally planning on controlling my Gyres with my new Profilux controller but I ended up really liking the built in modes. I wouldn't be able to program them as well using an Apex or Profilux. I will say that Bulk Reef Supply did come up with a nice control program for them but you can't program in enough flow changes for my liking due to the controller limitations.

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the xf250 for my new 180g, they’re running after being cleaned in a very small 25g cube. At 10% I cant see any dead spots and the turbulence is immensely insane. Can’t wait to see what these do in the full tank in a month or so!! Very happy with them.

OP
OP
M

MickeysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for all the advice I have one more question if the XF250 is rated for 800 gallons plus why get two or why not just get two smaller models?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the advice I have one more question if the XF250 is rated for 800 gallons plus why get two or why not just get two smaller models?
I would rather run a bigger pump at slower speeds than worry about maxing out a smaller pump and having to upgrade. The larger pump at lower speed should make less noise than the smaller pump at high speed also.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather run a bigger pump at slower speeds than worry about maxing out a smaller pump and having to upgrade. The larger pump at lower speed should make less noise than the smaller pump at high speed also.
Additionally the costs of the 2 larger is less than if you get the 2 small then have to add supplemental powerheads for dead spots as your coral grows in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back