Are human grade raw clams, oysters, mussels, etc parasite free?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was curious on the topic of fresh clams, oysters, etc. from a market deli, is it possible for them to carry unwanted parasites??? possibly @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 or some of the #fishmedic team would chime in.

Last edited:

Dooly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a couple lbs of live New Zealand mussels and a good number of them had a large parasitic pea crab living inside them. You know the seaweed “beard” you pull out before eating them? The beard was the crabs legs and when I pulled it out… well.. let’s just say I don’t eat mussel anymore

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry - just seeing this. That is a pretty broad question. If by "parasite" you mean flukes and protozoans that typically infect reef fish in aquariums, then the answer is not that I know of. If you mean bacteria, then yes...that's why they have that warning about not eating uncooked seafood. However, the bacteria involved are pretty common in marine aquariums, so I don't take that as a major concern...but it is for humans. At a conference once, a group of 20 aquarium curators went out to a seafood restaurant in Virginia Beach. The other 19 were aghast when I ordered oysters on the half shell (grin).

Jay

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Human grade oysters are highly nutritious and probably safer than the frozen ones from fish stores or other sources

NMU1963

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was curious on the topic of fresh clams, oysters, etc. from a market deli, is it possible for them to carry unwanted parasites??? possibly @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 or some of the #fishmedic team would chime in.
For my grouper and eel I’ve always bought frozen shrimp and silversides and have never had an issue. Fresh may be fine but no guarantees

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume that as long as you rinse well before feeding there shouldn't be any problem. I also personally think that food grade seafood for human are most likely much safer than whatever they used for frozen fish food.

All that said I tend not to feed shellfish much since they are filter feeders and can introduce a lot of unneeded nutrients into the tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back