OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until someone comes along that absolutely knows what to do here... I did find this article on Phosporus in the reef tank by Randy Holmes-Farley. It's a lot of reading tho. Lol
https://www.reef2reef.com/blog/?p=3184

I'll start going thru it and see what i can grasp. I'm terrible at reading and interpreting sometimes.

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that you were up to 40ml's a day of Neophos @jwshiver what were your long term experiences? Was that a one time shot?

I just lost a fish, so I'm hesitant to go higher.

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only worthwhile direction there is that :

"1 ml NEOPHOS will increase the phosphate concentration in 1 US-gallon (~3.8 L) by ~1.2 ppm; 1 drop from plastic bulb pipette (enclosed within bottle) will increase the concentration in the same volume of water by ~0.06 ppm."

From that we can calculate that in a 120 gallon total volume system, 1 mL of Neophos will boost the phosphate by 0.01 ppm.

I'd add 2 mL per day for a few days and see what happens. 0.02 ppm should be plenty for most processes. IMO, 0.15 ppm is unnecessarily high.

The calculations are generally this though.... however

In a low phosphate situation, some portion of the added phosphate will bind to calcium carbonate surfaces, lowering the actual amount in the water.

I've not worked through the actual math, but I'll also note that Brightwell does not have a perfect record of potency claims about its products. :D

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the 1st bottles of Neophos that I ordered had a much more diluted solution. I had to do some research to find that Brightwell's made it weaker to help those with smaller tanks be able to dose easier. Since then they may have corrected it. Just a bit of info when we talk about amount to dose or being dosed.

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the 1st bottles of Neophos that I ordered had a much more diluted solution. I had to do some research to find that Brightwell's made it weaker to help those with smaller tanks be able to dose easier. Since then they may have corrected it. Just a bit of info when we talk about amount to dose or being dosed.

well mine is 1ml per 1.2 , but I understand where you're coming from. 20ml's should have made mine 0.8!

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's the dilution that Brightwell's is sticking with. That's what my current 500ml bottle is and now that I think of it... I think the heavily diluted formula was in the smaller bottle. Maybe 250ml size. I'm still dosing 20 mils a day. No huge changes yet but my Duncan's do look happier. All other corals look about the same.

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile I'm having some major issues. My alk is going up and I'm loosing more corals because of the low nutrients.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile I'm having some major issues. My alk is going up and I'm loosing more corals because of the low nutrients.

Low nutrients caused me so many issues. I try to keep NO3 about 10 and PO4 about 7. I don’t chase them daily but just look to be in that range. Dosing the Brightwell products allows me to bring up incrementally if needed and I have good numbers now to work with and get expected results. To bring down water changes work for NO3 and Phosphate RX for PO4 work for me.

I’ll never let them get real low again and accept algae over the alternative nasty things.

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are your N03 and P04 levels at? I lost almost every single Acan in my tank. Every chalice too. The only thing that has changed, from when I had a thriving reef, was my N03 and P04 levels. I'm assuming that did it. Either way, it sucks. It's hard to keep going when things die even tho you give so much attention to the system.

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low nutrients caused me so many issues. I try to keep NO3 about 10 and PO4 about 7. I don’t chase them daily but just look to be in that range. Dosing the Brightwell products allows me to bring up incrementally if needed and I have good numbers now to work with and get expected results. To bring down water changes work for NO3 and Phosphate RX for PO4 work for me.

I’ll never let them get real low again and accept algae over the alternative nasty things.
When you say your P04 is 7, do you mean 0.07?

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, @Zerobytes. I saw your post on Dinos in your tank. Were you able to get rid of them? I walked that same path and after killing them all my tank took off and was beautiful for 4 months after getting my nutrients balanced.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, @Zerobytes. I saw your post on Dinos in your tank. Were you able to get rid of them? I walked that same path and after killing them all my tank took off and was beautiful for 4 months after getting my nutrients balanced.

So far:). Raised nutrients and let the tank get a bit dirty.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Did you end up using H2O2? Or a uv sterilizer?

I didn’t. I don’t have a UV and try to avoid chemicals. I had just starved my tank, not really on purpose, just didn’t know. I’m hoping things are to the point stability-wise where if I keep things in the range I’m looking for, it is mature enough to balance and resolve. Time will tell of course.

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t. I don’t have a UV and try to avoid chemicals. I had just starved my tank, not really on purpose, just didn’t know. I’m hoping things are to the point stability-wise where if I keep things in the range I’m looking for, it is mature enough to balance and resolve. Time will tell of course.
I dont blame you for avoiding chemicals especially if you arent sure. I used H202 to kill remaining hair algae on my rocks after the big cleaning. Idk if it finished the dinos off or not but my tank straightened out. I was under 5ppm N03 and .08 P04 when things seemed to balance. It's crazy how everyone's tank is so different.

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input Zerobytes. Fotocha and I are still trying to get things straight but we appreciate every bit of info.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%

Back