Are low Phosphates killing my coral?

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your N03 and P04 levels at? I lost almost every single Acan in my tank. Every chalice too. The only thing that has changed, from when I had a thriving reef, was my N03 and P04 levels. I'm assuming that did it. Either way, it sucks. It's hard to keep going when things die even tho you give so much attention to the system.

Nitrates are 2ppm and phosphate is 0

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are 2ppm and phosphate is 0
What kind of food, and how often, are you feeding your tank?

I keep seeing ppl say "just feed more" to get nutrients up but I'm sure not all foods put out the same level of N03 and P04. I feed twice a day. Once with PE pellets and LRS in the evening and I still have to dose P04 to keep the level up.

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of food, and how often, are you feeding your tank?

I keep seeing ppl say "just feed more" to get nutrients up but I'm sure not all foods put out the same level of N03 and P04. I feed twice a day. Once with PE pellets and LRS in the evening and I still have to dose P04 to keep the level up.

I feed mysis, pellets, and flakes

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird... I'd think youd have some phosphates just from feeding. Your N03 is right on. I'd think. I found this video. It's from a fee years back but this guy runs a P04 of almost 4ppm! Crazy!

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that you were up to 40ml's a day of Neophos @jwshiver what were your long term experiences? Was that a one time shot?

I just lost a fish, so I'm hesitant to go higher.

That has been awhile.
Long term I got tired of having to dose Neophose and NeoNitro so I ended up adding 5 more fish and gradually increased feeding to three times a day and backed off the carbon dosing until I started registering NO3 and PO4. Problem solved. It took some time for the tank to settle into the numbers I wanted. I just adjust feeding and nutrient export to keep numbers on track. I believe adding the fish or, more exactly fish poop, helped the tank tremendously. My corals really took off. I have another 5 fish that will be coming out of QT this weekend.
Here is a crappy IPhone pic of my 120. Sorry, I'm not a photographer!!
Full Tank.JPEG

Tank.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has been awhile.
Long term I got tired of having to dose Neophose and NeoNitro so I ended up adding 5 more fish and gradually increased feeding to three times a day and backed off the carbon dosing until I started registering NO3 and PO4. Problem solved. It took some time for the tank to settle into the numbers I wanted. I just adjust feeding and nutrient export to keep numbers on track. I believe adding the fish or, more exactly fish poop, helped the tank tremendously. My corals really took off. I have another 5 fish that will be coming out of QT this weekend.
Full Tank.JPEG

Tank.jpg
Nice tank man! Maybe it's just that easy. Get more fish and fish poop. That and feeding. I do need another tang...
How many fish are in your 120?

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom of that 120 is spotless! I mean, that whole thing is clean but that's the cleanest bare bottom I've seen.

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has been awhile.
Full Tank.JPEG

Tank.jpg

But it did work as long as you dosed... correct?

This is leading me to the same idea of just increasing the feeding schedule. I’m just trying to outpace the fuge (I might just pull it out)

Last edited:

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it did work as long as you dosed... correct?

This is leading me to the same idea of just increasing the feeding schedule. I’m just trying to outpace the fuge (I might just pull it out)

I kept dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro and stopped carbon dosing until I started to get readings and I haven't dosed for No3 and PO4 ever since. I do recommend testing your parameters multiple times a week while making the transition and make adjustments accordingly. For example if my PO4 went to zero and my NO3 started to come up I would stop the NeoNitro but continue the NeoPhos because you need both to be in balance and obviously reduce each as needed. It sucks testing that much but it's the only way to monitor what your doing without causing major swings in your tank. Corals hate major swings. There was a point that the parameters started to increase quickly and I was able to catch it and make adjustments before it got out of hand. You have to give the tank time to adjust to the new bio-load and settle. I would say it took close to two months to become somewhat stable. I still carbon dose but only at a fraction of what I was at the time. You just have to keep playing with the carbon amount, nutrient input and nutrient export, or fuge lighting schedule, etc. to find the right balance.

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro and stopped carbon dosing until I started to get readings and I haven't dosed for No3 and PO4 ever since. I do recommend testing your parameters multiple times a week while making the transition and make adjustments accordingly. For example if my PO4 went to zero and my NO3 started to come up I would stop the NeoNitro but continue the NeoPhos because you need both to be in balance and obviously reduce each as needed. It sucks testing that much but it's the only way to monitor what your doing without causing major swings in your tank. Corals hate major swings. There was a point that the parameters started to increase quickly and I was able to catch it and make adjustments before it got out of hand. You have to give the tank time to adjust to the new bio-load and settle. I would say it took close to two months to become somewhat stable. I still carbon dose but only at a fraction of what I was at the time. You just have to keep playing with the carbon amount, nutrient input and nutrient export, or fuge lighting schedule, etc. to find the right balance.

Any suggestions on a good “pooper”? Haha

So as of last night, I’ve increased feedings. 3 times the reef roids I normally do and twice the amount of usual amount, and from once to twice daily of fish food.

Also dosed 40ml of NeoPhos and 10ml of NeoNitro.

I’ll test this evening and see if it finally had an effect.

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing Neophos for over a week and haven't had any Bad reactions. P04 is 0.06 - 0.08 and I'll try to hold it there. My N03 is still a little high, I think, at around 7 - 8 ppm. It seemed like my tank did better at 3 ppm or less. Corals are looking a little better.

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing Neophos for over a week and haven't had any Bad reactions. P04 is 0.06 - 0.08 and I'll try to hold it there. My N03 is still a little high, I think, at around 7 - 8 ppm. It seemed like my tank did better at 3 ppm or less. Corals are looking a little better.

I’d recommend aiming for <10ppm nitrates and
< 0.1ppm phosphate.

But I think you could maintain this without dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro.

Control your nitrates, ramp your feedings if it falls and taper off if it gets high. Then use phosphat-e to bring down phosphates if they get too high as it only effects phosphate, not both.

I suppose you could also dose this in your ATO. But I haven’t worked it out yet.

8C73A918-60AD-4917-8735-A499AF39381E.jpeg

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to pull my fuge. I just can’t overtake my uptake. 40mls for 3 days is nuts.

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I got my P04 up and searingly stable, I may try NoPox. Basically carbon dosing to get
I’ve decided to pull my fuge. I just can’t overtake my uptake. 40mls for 3 days is nuts.
Are you going to just pull the macro algae out or take the whole fuge offline? Mu fuge is in the middle of my sump so I can't exactly pull it if I had to. I only ask because it might be good to keep the fuge for pods and added water volume and just pull any algae from it. Idk if ita a sizable fuge or hob or what. Just a thought.

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I got my P04 up and searingly stable, I may try NoPox. Basically carbon dosing to get

Are you going to just pull the macro algae out or take the whole fuge offline? Mu fuge is in the middle of my sump so I can't exactly pull it if I had to. I only ask because it might be good to keep the fuge for pods and added water volume and just pull any algae from it. Idk if ita a sizable fuge or hob or what. Just a thought.

Well NoPox removes nitrates and phosphates. Your nitrates are fine right?

I’m going to remove the chaeto and turn off the fuge light. It’s easy to buy more chaeto and the pods should be fine there will be plenty to eat coming through the rocks. If not, and they die , they’ll eventually will repopulate whither you want them there or not lol

A fuge should be a answer to a problem (removing nitrate and phosphates) not just because you want one.

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well NoPox removes nitrates and phosphates. Your nitrates are fine right?

I’m going to remove the chaeto and turn off the fuge light. It’s easy to buy more chaeto and the pods should be fine there will be plenty to eat coming through the rocks. If not, and they die , they’ll eventually will repopulate whither you want them there or not lol

A fuge should be a answer to a problem (removing nitrate and phosphates) not just because you want one.

My nitrates are still close to 10ppm. I know some ppl say that's ok but apparently it's too high with my tank. My tank was at it's best with nitrates below 5ppm. I dont have to bring them down much and o was hoping the Neophos would bring it down some.

Good idea with your fuge. I'm sure the chaeto is eating up a lot of your phosphates. I'm still running a light but the only thing mine is to small mangroves. Plus, at 20-25 mils per day of Neophos, the phosphate level has increased in my tank.

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did Reef2reef change their format/website? I'm using my phone it looks way different today. Anyone else seeing this?

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are still close to 10ppm. I know some ppl say that's ok but apparently it's too high with my tank. My tank was at it's best with nitrates below 5ppm. I dont have to bring them down much and o was hoping the Neophos would bring it down some.

Good idea with your fuge. I'm sure the chaeto is eating up a lot of your phosphates. I'm still running a light but the only thing mine is to small mangroves. Plus, at 20-25 mils per day of Neophos, the phosphate level has increased in my tank.

Just adjust your feeding , try feeding your fish every other day your nitrates will drop .

Or do a single water change . I might try nopox only if they were like 30 ppm

I guess my point is that phosphates seem to be harder to control the nitrates are . It’s like going to the pharmacy and buying a box of TheraFlu because you have a runny nose.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back