Are my clown fish pair going to have babies (video in post) they are dancing and shaking a lot

nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone I just wanted to get your thoughts on this clownfish pair that host the corner of the tank, they have been wiggling together a lot and it seems the male has also started chasing the female a lot these past 24 hours , do you think they might be getting ready to have babies ? If so , I want to make sure I do everything I can for them to be happy / not stressed / etc

Is there anything I should do ? If they do have babies should I just let them be and not disturb them or try to keep other fish away , put them in an in tank refugium etc ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated this is my first clown pair

Here is the video link:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello Everyone I just wanted to get your thoughts on this clownfish pair that host the corner of the tank, they have been wiggling together a lot and it seems the male has also started chasing the female a lot these past 24 hours , do you think they might be getting ready to have babies ? If so , I want to make sure I do everything I can for them to be happy / not stressed / etc

Is there anything I should do ? If they do have babies should I just let them be and not disturb them or try to keep other fish away , put them in an in tank refugium etc ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated this is my first clown pair

Here is the video link:

Having a few breeding pair, this appears to be clowns chasing their reflection in tank and even low level aggression opposed to spawning behavior

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like they are still establishing who's in charge, very far from spawning

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like they are still sorting it out. The one that does the body shakes the most, often in "front" of the other fish is showing submission. Thus, will become the male. Spawning behavior will be both fish "chewing" on a surface they will lay their eggs on. They do this to prepare (clean) the site. It is not a little chewing, once you see it you know what is going on.

areohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that a blue tang in the video? what size is your tank. thought i saw you had a 40g in another post

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it looks more like they can see their reflections in the glass and are reacting accordingly. They look less interested in each other than the reflections.

Is your goal to raise baby clownfish? If so, there are changes you can make increase the chances of them mating.

Moose.Jy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sry this post is a bit old but just to add, you clowns won't breed till whichever is female is two, males can breed at 6mo but females breed at two years. They look to small and young right now. (If they are older sorry I have crappy vid quality on my phone)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back