Are my clowns depressed?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 55 gallon tank with a small cuc and 2 clown fish. I bought them on Friday morning and since then they have sat in the corner of my tank and swim up and down, but they won’t venture out. Is this normal, are they just getting use to the tank, or are they sad? They eat when I feed them. They love frozen brine shrimp and go crazy grabbing them, but if some float outside of the 4inch column of water they like to be in they won’t go get it. I’m sure I’m just being a concerned fish mommy, but just wondering if there was anything I could do to help them feel more comfortable in their home.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 black and white clowns that have never left the right side of my tank and 2 cinnamon clowns that have never gone more the a foot from their Anemones. They are clowns just being clowns lol

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally would say "Bring in the Clowns" to cheer someone up, but in this case yes I believe that is normal. Welcome to R2R

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a host? If they’re adamant about staying in 1 spot, stick a nem there. From what I’ve read, they’re more likely to accept a host that way. Just figured if you’re worried about em and they don’t have a host, this could add some enrichment

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don’t have any corals yet. My LFS told me to start with fish and move on to corals later. In his words “fish are dirty, they will live in almost any condition, corals are prissy and need pristine conditions, so start with fish, practice, get a system in place, and then more on to corals.” Idk if that’s the right way, but it’s what I’m going with.

Thanks for the reassurance on the clowns behavior, I will just let them be and stop trying to set up a play date with the peppermint shrimp.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a 55 gallon tank with a small cuc and 2 clown fish. I bought them on Friday morning and since then they have sat in the corner of my tank and swim up and down, but they won’t venture out. Is this normal, are they just getting use to the tank, or are they sad? They eat when I feed them. They love frozen brine shrimp and go crazy grabbing them, but if some float outside of the 4inch column of water they like to be in they won’t go get it. I’m sure I’m just being a concerned fish mommy, but just wondering if there was anything I could do to help them feel more comfortable in their home.

My 2 Gladiators acted in a strange manner when I first introduced them to my tank and I posted a thread about this behavior.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-this-normal-behavior-for-2-new-clowns.584102/

They should acclimate and hopefully like mine now swim (usually as a pair) all over the tank.

The bottom line is that clowns are clowns!!!

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don’t have any corals yet. My LFS told me to start with fish and move on to corals later. In his words “fish are dirty, they will live in almost any condition, corals are prissy and need pristine conditions, so start with fish, practice, get a system in place, and then more on to corals.” Idk if that’s the right way, but it’s what I’m going with.

Thanks for the reassurance on the clowns behavior, I will just let them be and stop trying to set up a play date with the peppermint shrimp.

I’ve also been given that advise. Don’t know if it’s right or not. Sounds legit. You’re clearly a good fish mom trying your best. Keep up the good work. I’d put a thumbs up in here but i can’t figured out how ppl do that...

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s good advice and tbh sounds like a decent LFS . More times than not some LFS try to reel in enthusiastic ppl and take their money . Just take it slow aNd build up the things you can’t see like the bacteria needed to stable out your new system . Keep up your husbandry routines and 4-6 months in try out something . I would advise not adding anemone until after 10 months to a year mark . . Maybe couple Zoas or Green star polyp can feed your temptation around 2 month old mark .
Water changes fix about everything .Don’t add chemicals that promise to fix this and that . Any help ya need this is the place to ask .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They should be at least chasing food from corner. Is there high current, bright light or other aggressors in that corner area?

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have started to venture out more and more, I mean that is definitely their preferred spot to be, but they will go to the other side of the tank now and explore a little. They seem to move around more at night, but I don’t know if that’s because the lights are lower or if it’s because the dogs and kids aren’t running around making noice.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank raised clowns only know the corners of the tank as being a safe place. They will explore, but might end up just hanging out in that corner. It has taken about a year for mine to host in a torch thats 3" from their corner. They lay eggs every 3 weeks or some where up and down that corner.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a clown thang, mine have stayed in same corner of tank for the last 4 years, they didn’t event go to the RBTA, when it got it 3 years ago. They recently moved to a cluster of mushrooms last week. It’s just clowns.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns act the same way. They have decided to "host" my return outlet in the upper left corner of my tank. They just wiggle around up there all day and night and rarely venture out very far. I'm always surprised when I see them down by the actual rock and coral. They are strange and because of where they hang out, I often forget I even have them. :0)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back