Are my dinos gone?

Diver4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had quite the battle with dinos, which were getting pretty bad on my sand, live rock, etc. Long snotty threads, sand covered in areas. I went through the dino threads and did a few rounds of the Dr. Tim's routine (no Refresh though, due to my crabs, snails, shrimp). That got me close. Then I did a 10-day course of 1.3ml of hydrogen peroxide at night/dark, and 1.3ml of MicroBacter7 in the day (my tank is 13.5 gallons).

Now everything looks clean, except my sand below the waterline, as you can see in the picture (it's worse/darker in some spots in back of the tank). Is that some lurking dinos waiting to re-bloom? I'm afraid to turn my lights on for more than an hour or so! I don't see any of the tell-tale little bubbles. Am I done, or have to wait until this stuff below the surface of the sand is also cleared up? Another course of blackout, hydrogen peroxide, and MB7 and then a vaccum/water change?

aquarium20210306.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I like to do is crouch below the tank and look up. For some reason, you can’t see the bubbles at eye level or above. From looking up, you can see the bubbles on the rocks and sand. Usually after the stringy, balloon things are gone, there may be remnants left. If you don’t see bubbles with lights on, congrats!!! I like to dose H2O2 at night regularly in smaller doses than recommended to prevent the onslaught from returning.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think dinos are truly ever gone. More like they sit in the shadows and wait untill the time is right to strike. If the tank looks good I would switch to focusing on building up their competitors. I would start by making sure you have some measurable nitrates / phosphates. Everything I have had to deal with these guys is because the tank was "too clean".

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back