Are my fish sick and if so, what is it??

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey guys, QT question. If a fish that I just picked up has been being treated with Prazi for the last five days, should I start him on the normal cycle with copper ore should I reverse the order and continue current treatment and then do copper afterwards.

#fishmedic

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This couldn't possibly be happening again. Please tell me it's not happening again. Not just 4 months into my new tank going live. I was so careful. I quarantined everything and the things that came pre QT'd I kept in observation for a few weeks before adding. I got a couple fish looking dusty. The sailfin went through the FULL QT protocol as did the white tail, tomini, purple. My gold nugget wrasse, maroon clowns and pajama cardinal all look ok as do my dottybacks. It's really just the sailfin and trigger I'm worried about. Now the inside glass looks dusty as do my vortechs so not sure. I've been lights out from day one. I just turned on the lights for a few minutes today to check things out and saw my sailfin looking dusty so i started checking everyone. I noticed the cleaner wrasse as been spending a lot more time around the tangs lately so I got suspicious. Here are some pix

#fishmedics

IMG_9687.jpeg IMG_9688.jpeg IMG_9691.jpeg IMG_9692.jpeg IMG_9697.jpeg IMG_9698.jpeg IMG_9699.jpeg IMG_9704.jpeg IMG_9706.jpeg IMG_9707.jpeg IMG_9708.jpeg IMG_9709.jpeg IMG_9711.jpeg IMG_9713.jpeg IMG_9714.jpeg IMG_9715.jpeg IMG_9716.jpeg IMG_9718.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9710.jpeg
    IMG_9710.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 19

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.

Are the fish breathing normally and still eating? If so, this is ich. It is pretty advanced, so has been cooking for some time.

To be honest, I can’t go back and read all 6 pages prior to this, but these are new fish?

Jay

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sorry to hear.

Are the fish breathing normally and still eating? If so, this is ich. It is pretty advanced, so has been cooking for some time.

To be honest, I can’t go back and read all 6 pages prior to this, but these are new fish?

Jay
The weird part here is that with the lights out and shining a flashlight on them i cannot see anything. TBH I'd rather it be ich because the velvet from last time completely wiped out my old tank. I only have 3 fish that survived - the tomini, the gold nugget and the pajama. In other news I just found a body - my royal gramma. All that being said, everyone is eating, no one acting particularly strange except maybe the whitetail, but he's always hiding. I'll throw up the gramma picture here and then upload some videos with the flashlight shining instead of the tank lights.

#fishmedics
IMG_9719.jpeg IMG_9720.jpeg IMG_9721.jpeg IMG_9722.jpeg IMG_9723.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It's divide and conquer time. I'm not going to let this beat me or take the lives of any of my pals this time. Last night I pulled the Sailfin, White tail and Trigger since they seemed the worst off. I have started them on copper. Trigger and Sailfin are swimming around, eating, etc. The white tail is sitting by the airstone breathing heavier than usual but he made it through the night. Anything else I can be doing for him?

I'll be spinning up QT #3 today, maybe just for observation of the other healthier looking fish. Don't want to medicate if they do not need it. I'm fine with going fallow for a bit on the new tank. I've been lights out for almost 4 months trying to get this thing off to a good start, but this ain't it.

So, that will leave the tank with just rocks and sand. Is there anything I could treat the tank with being that it IS fallow to make it safer, sooner? I planned to at least get some UV going on there, but anything else you can recommend would be awesome.

And in case I have not said it before... thank you guys... honestly... for everything. If not for your help and positive support I would have packed it in by now. I'm in this for the long haul. I want to grow old with my fishies, lol.

#fishmedics

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it happened again - I know the feeling. Most likely something slipped through that you weren’t even aware of, all it take is one ich parasite.
You can try some of the reef safe meds in the dt. Obviously they don’t actually do much for ich, but can help to kill some of it to ensure all are killed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's divide and conquer time. I'm not going to let this beat me or take the lives of any of my pals this time. Last night I pulled the Sailfin, White tail and Trigger since they seemed the worst off. I have started them on copper. Trigger and Sailfin are swimming around, eating, etc. The white tail is sitting by the airstone breathing heavier than usual but he made it through the night. Anything else I can be doing for him?

I'll be spinning up QT #3 today, maybe just for observation of the other healthier looking fish. Don't want to medicate if they do not need it. I'm fine with going fallow for a bit on the new tank. I've been lights out for almost 4 months trying to get this thing off to a good start, but this ain't it.

So, that will leave the tank with just rocks and sand. Is there anything I could treat the tank with being that it IS fallow to make it safer, sooner? I planned to at least get some UV going on there, but anything else you can recommend would be awesome.

And in case I have not said it before... thank you guys... honestly... for everything. If not for your help and positive support I would have packed it in by now. I'm in this for the long haul. I want to grow old with my fishies, lol.

#fishmedics

The trigger clearly has ich. In the flashlight video, the tang in the cave seems to be holding its mouth open all of the time - that isn't good. Has it damaged its mouth, or is keeping its mouth open because it is breathing fast?

Since all fish were exposed, you should treat all of them with coppersafe or copper power at full dose for 30 days. If you only treat some, the asymptomatic ones can bring the ich back active later on.

Jay

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sorry it happened again - I know the feeling. Most likely something slipped through that you weren’t even aware of, all it take is one ich parasite.
You can try some of the reef safe meds in the dt. Obviously they don’t actually do much for ich, but can help to kill some of it to ensure all are killed.
any recommendations??

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The trigger clearly has ich. In the flashlight video, the tang in the cave seems to be holding its mouth open all of the time - that isn't good. Has it damaged its mouth, or is keeping its mouth open because it is breathing fast?

Since all fish were exposed, you should treat all of them with coppersafe or copper power at full dose for 30 days. If you only treat some, the asymptomatic ones can bring the ich back active later on.

Jay
Ok, that's all I needed to hear. Everyone is going into QT and tank will go Fallow for a bit.

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So... This would be my first time with ich. Does it clear up very fast (visually) with copper power? I dosed 1.25ppm last night and 1.25ppm this afternoon to get to 2.5. Look at the difference in the Sailfin.

Before...
IMG_9729.jpg IMG_9730.jpg IMG_9731.jpg IMG_9732.jpg

and AFTER!

IMG_9747.jpg IMG_9748.jpg IMG_9749.jpg IMG_9750.jpg IMG_9754.jpg

Thoughts?

#fishmedics

Attachments

• IMG_9733.jpg
    IMG_9733.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9751.jpg
    IMG_9751.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9752.jpg
    IMG_9752.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9753.jpg
    IMG_9753.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 11

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... This would be my first time with ich. Does it clear up very fast (visually) with copper power? I dosed 1.25ppm last night and 1.25ppm this afternoon to get to 2.5. Look at the difference in the Sailfin.

Before...
IMG_9729.jpg IMG_9730.jpg IMG_9731.jpg IMG_9732.jpg

and AFTER!

IMG_9747.jpg IMG_9748.jpg IMG_9749.jpg IMG_9750.jpg IMG_9754.jpg

Thoughts?

#fishmedics
Tough to explain, but ich trophonts come and go on the fish and they can be in sync, making it seem like the fish has gotten suddenly better, but they are just off the fish reproducing. Copper takes about 3 days to really start to work.
Jay

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well, unfortunately I lost the white tail overnight. After some reading, seems once they injure their mouth most don't recover from it. Such a bummer. I'm just having the worst luck. One more fish in QT... 4 left in the DT. 3 out of 4 are on the smaller side - cleaner wrasse and 2 dottybacks. I think I'm going to just take out the rocks and drain some water so they have no where to hide. Everyone in QT looks to be responding well so wish me luck that I have no more losses over the next 6 weeks while working to reset my 4 month old DT back to being clean.

#fishmedics

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
All fish are in my 2 QT tanks and both are up to 2.5ppm copper power. I was watching a BRS video on treating ich and they mention Nitrofurazone OR API Furan-2. What are your thoughts on that? Also should I being doing anything else other than copper power and feeding as usual? Any recommended additives for food any particular food?

#fishmedics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish are in my 2 QT tanks and both are up to 2.5ppm copper power. I was watching a BRS video on treating ich and they mention Nitrofurazone OR API Furan-2. What are your thoughts on that? Also should I being doing anything else other than copper power and feeding as usual? Any recommended additives for food any particular food?

#fishmedics
Those antibiotics control secondary bacterial infections that sometimes follow severe ich infections. Are you seeing any signs of bacterial infection - cloudy eyes, cloudy skin, red patches?
Jay

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I don't think so... maybe a little red at most. So just to update. The Sailfin, Purple and Trigger are looking a lot better. They are together in one tank. Everyone else is in the other tank and all appear to be doing pretty well except the Tomini. He looks really bad today. Covered in spots and dust. I did a 50% WC, cleaned the filter and sponges and replaced from my fresh batch of water keeping the copper at 2.5. Ammonia was rising which I expected with how many fish I have in there now. They are mostly small but there are a lot of em. I'm wondering if I should shift some to the other tank to balance things out a bit. I just worry about the lack of space/hiding places with the big bullies in there.

Tank 1 - Big Purple, Big Sailfin, Med Female Bluethroat Trigger, Med Male/Female swallowtail pair.

Tank 2 - Oreni tilefish, gold nugget wrasse, choati wrasse, cleaner wrasse, orchid dottyback, indigo dottyback, falco hawkfish, small tomini tang, small gem tang, tailspot blenny, small female angel, 2x small gold stripe maroon clowns, pajama cardinal, magnificent foxface.

I suppose I could shift over the foxface and hawkfish. They can hold their own. Clowns might do ok too. Wrasses stay where they are because that is where the container of sand is.

As for the big tank... it's mostly cleaned out. I cannot find the pistol shrimp. He may or may not be alive in there. I cranked the heat up to 86. Tomorrow I'm hooking up UV. It's bug killing time!

#fishmedics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so... maybe a little red at most. So just to update. The Sailfin, Purple and Trigger are looking a lot better. They are together in one tank. Everyone else is in the other tank and all appear to be doing pretty well except the Tomini. He looks really bad today. Covered in spots and dust. I did a 50% WC, cleaned the filter and sponges and replaced from my fresh batch of water keeping the copper at 2.5. Ammonia was rising which I expected with how many fish I have in there now. They are mostly small but there are a lot of em. I'm wondering if I should shift some to the other tank to balance things out a bit. I just worry about the lack of space/hiding places with the big bullies in there.

Tank 1 - Big Purple, Big Sailfin, Med Female Bluethroat Trigger, Med Male/Female swallowtail pair.

Tank 2 - Oreni tilefish, gold nugget wrasse, choati wrasse, cleaner wrasse, orchid dottyback, indigo dottyback, falco hawkfish, small tomini tang, small gem tang, tailspot blenny, small female angel, 2x small gold stripe maroon clowns, pajama cardinal, magnificent foxface.

I suppose I could shift over the foxface and hawkfish. They can hold their own. Clowns might do ok too. Wrasses stay where they are because that is where the container of sand is.

As for the big tank... it's mostly cleaned out. I cannot find the pistol shrimp. He may or may not be alive in there. I cranked the heat up to 86. Tomorrow I'm hooking up UV. It's bug killing time!

#fishmedics

Wow - that is a LOT of expensive fish in one small tank and the Oreni and Choates are not really good at handling treatment tanks. Here is a wild idea: the tomini is relatively low value and is acting like a "typhoid Mary" in that it is producing a lot of theronts. What about putting it through a TTM protocol? I normally do not suggest those, but in this case, it would get that fish out of the QT for a time, and might even cure it enough to put it back in the copper.

Another option would be to set up a third QT.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back