Are my LEDs killing everything?

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had a pretty bad day 2day anyways, but next to that I just bought $450 in corals. They all got brown jelly or started getting skeletal and are in the process of dieing. This has happenned twice before this time aswell. I know everyone will say that I have something wrong with something and it is not the lighting....well im pretty sure this is the lighting..

My paramaters have been stable for atleast a month now at:

Nitrate-0
Mag-1500
Nitrite-0
Phos-0
Alk-8-9
Calcuim-500
Salinity-1.025

Temp-78-80

I have a BM Nac7 skimmer doing a fantastic job and a fuge hooked up to the tank

I have a reef evo120w led pendant over this tank

The tank is 48 by 16 by 13

I acclimate by
10-15 minutes of floating
8-10 of sitting in 1/2 bag and 1/2 tank water
and into the shade for a week,2,3 depending on how the coral acts

Here is why I blaim it on the lights in past experiences

I bought some corals a little while back and after 1 week of being in my tank every single one of them was bleached or recceding.

So I took those exact corals and moved them into my t5 powered 75 gal,this tank's parameters are not the best, and within a week the corals start to regain color and grow in worse tank conditions!! So I moved them back to the led tank, and the corals bleached and started dieing again.

With the most recent corals, they all started developing brown jelly on them and rtning.............

What exactly are the causes of brown jelly.?

And if my tank was in terrible condition wouldnt the present established corals be dieing???? Well they are not, I have over 100 frags of every type of coral in there doing perfectly fine,but now everytime I add a coral something bad happens...

Am I missing something or are leds just to powerful/bright for my tank?

Needless to say im saying adios to the LEDs

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not the lighting, I had brown jelly disease before in a T5 tank, I've seen this happen in all sorts of different setups....

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If both of your tanks are 4 feet long, maybe you should consider swapping the lighting between the two tanks for a couple weeks to see if the corals improve. I think that would be a nice way to test your idea that the source of the problem is lighting-related.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the photoperiod but my fixture is about 1 1/2-1/4 a foot from the water

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought brown jelly was some kind of bacterial thing that can spread to other corals, but I may be wrong on that. As far as the bleaching and receding I'd say it's probably your lights. The same thing happened to a buddy of mine's LPS when he first went LED. Now he has to keep his LPS partly shaded otherwise they'll bleach out. How high above the tank do you have your LEDs? In my buddy's case he has 3w LEDs but your tank being much more shallow the 1w could be just a potent.

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your lighting schedule? Also, how tall is the tank? The light may be too intense. You may try shortening your lighting period or raising the fixture or maybe a combination of both. If I were to suspect the LEDs to be the cause of coral loss/ deterioration this is the first thing I would try.

Last edited:

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the photoperiod but my fixture is about 1 1/2-1/4 a foot from the water

Not sure how long your lights are on per day?

I hate it whent his happens and hope everything works out.... So all your other coral is doing well and it's just the new coral?

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are on for 7 hours a day.

Im just going to buy a t5 fixture, but I still would like to find out what happened, so others can learn from my mistakes with leds.........

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how long your lights are on per day?

I hate it whent his happens and hope everything works out.... So all your other coral is doing well and it's just the new coral?

Yes only the new additions do this. Ive had 2 favias, 6chalices, 2 acros,1 acan, and 2 montiporas do this.........

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To save your corals from the brown jelly fraging away the bad part and a dip is in order trust me I just practically had to start over on all of my large colonies due to bj it is a bacterial infection that comes on when corals are stressed it kinda always there like cyano just waiting to rear it's nasty head but normally you can frag away from the bad part give them a quick revive dip and you'll save it but I'd almost agree cutting back on your photo period and possibly dipping other corals that have not been affected yet to hep prevent the spread just my .2

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whelp.... brown jelly is brown jelly..... that must be your problem with that part..... as for the leds yeah they will burn things in a hurry coming from a new tank i still haven't cranked my fixture up over 40 percent things have just really got acclimated to the brighter lights and it's been 3 months..."don't under estimate leds!!!!!!" i have seen from exp it takes a good 90 days for a coral to really get 100 percent used to new lighting.... i swapped from 20k to 10k bulbs last year and didn't change my photo period the corals looked great for about 2 months then it was like almost over night half my stuff just got lighter and lighter by the day until some bleached out and died..:cry:

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes these came from the source

I fragged a few pieces of one and moved them to the 75gal

Yea, so will the corals be unhappy again when I switch to t5's?

Im pretty sure im going to get a 6bulb TEK fixture, they are right in my price range....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back