Are my new fish scarred of pvc pipe??

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

i am quarantining my new fish... i first added the fish.... now i am adding the PVC pipe. It seems like the fish are really scared of it. The pipe is on one side of the tank and all three fish are on the other side. Will they get use to it? Should i take it out cause it may cause too much stress?Does it have to do with the pipe being black? ( i usually see people use white pvc piping). Thanks. Any input would be great cause i plan on starting copper today.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until they are eating and are used to the tank before stressing them out with copper.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will become accustomed to it. No worries.

Are you treating for ich or velvet? Or treating prophylactically?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it pvc from a plumbing shop or abs from home depot? I've read abs can leech chemicals into the water

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Flippers4pups . I have had some fish that hid behind it, not in it.

Turn your lights off if you have any on your QT and just let the ambient light in the room suffice. Also agree with waiting to begin ramp up of copper if they are without symptoms. Once they have settled in you can ramp it up over 3-4 days. Of course if they have Ich Or Velvet begin it immediately.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't quote me on that! Just something I read years ago so I've stayed away from the black stuff.

OP
OP
K

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on @lapin comment. Don't run the copper until you're sure the fish are eating well and seem comfortable
Ive had a kole tang before and never really saw him eat(always pickin at rocks). The problem is i dont have any live rock in the quarantine.

ive tried two diff kinds of pellets, bloodworms, seaweed... and still he eats nothing.

OP
OP
K

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a kole tang before and never really saw him eat(always pickin at rocks). The problem is i dont have any live rock in the quarantine.

ive tried two diff kinds of pellets, bloodworms, seaweed... and still he eats nothing.
Sorry i meant “blackworms” NOT bloodworms.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color doesn't mater and ABS is perfectly safe, your bulkheads are made of ABS, ABS is used in a lot of different aquarium equipment. Your fish are freaked out because they're in a new and unnatural environment. Adding plastic plants and coral inserts before the fish are in the tank would be ideal. If it were me I wold drop in a few plastic plants so they feel less exposed and just give them some time to adjust.

Back