Are my nutrients out of balance?

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve tried searching other forums with no luck. I’ve been battling high nutrients for awhile now, after recovering from dinos. My current numbers are
No3- 9.1
Po4- .55

No3 has finally come down to what I seem to think is an acceptable range, where as a couple months back it was up in the 30ppm range. My Po4 seems high for having a No3 of 9ppm. Current nutrient export is a RO regal 150, refugium with Chaeto. Dr tims active pearls in media reactor. And 20% water change every two weeks or so. Any insight on what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated. Sorry if I left out any pertinent info…Thanks

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that jumps out at me, apart from lack of details on tank size, stock, nutrient export methods you use, is that you say you do water changes every 2 weeks or so, which to me if you have an issue you are trying to address, water changes would be best weekly and on time, your “or so” tends to make me think it could be quite a bit more than every two weeks ;)

Nitrates seem totally fine, agree po4 seems very high.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve tried searching other forums with no luck. I’ve been battling high nutrients for awhile now, after recovering from dinos. My current numbers are
No3- 9.1
Po4- .55

No3 has finally come down to what I seem to think is an acceptable range, where as a couple months back it was up in the 30ppm range. My Po4 seems high for having a No3 of 9ppm. Current nutrient export is a RO regal 150, refugium with Chaeto. Dr tims active pearls in media reactor. And 20% water change every two weeks or so. Any insight on what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated. Sorry if I left out any pertinent info…Thanks
Like other have pointed out, I think your po4 is really high. I too suggest you get some gfo in that reactor. Till you can manage it with your other forms of nutrient export.

OP
OP
Mmcghee102485

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that jumps out at me, apart from lack of details on tank size, stock, nutrient export methods you use, is that you say you do water changes every 2 weeks or so, which to me if you have an issue you are trying to address, water changes would be best weekly and on time, your “or so” tends to make me think it could be quite a bit more than every two weeks ;)

Nitrates seem totally fine, agree po4 seems very high.
Tank size is 100gallon, stock is
2-clowns
1-yellow tang
1- fox face
1-diamond goby
1- blenny
1 damsel
nutrient export as stated…. I’m pretty regular on the two weeks, the “or so” was meant by either a day before or day after depending on my work schedule.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, but GFO is a big pain in the rear. Much prefer using Lanthanum Chloride to reduce PO4. Works pretty instantly and no need to use a reactor. Whatever you do, bring it down over a couple of days rather than all at once.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank pretty new, started with dry rock? Any algae issues?

OP
OP
Mmcghee102485

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank pretty new, started with dry rock? Any algae issues?
Tank is a year and half old, started with dry rock, and live sand. Had a Dino out break about 7-8months ago. I’ve been Dino free for about 5-6 months. Have had issues with GHA recently.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back