Are quality Metal Halide fixtures and bulbs still available?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted to convert, but I fear these fixtures and bulbs might now be available anymore.

Can you guys post a picture of your setup and talk a little bit about the best bulbs, ballast, reflectors, etc. Are there any challenges you’re currently facing or that you fear may come in the future?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure the MH master is gonna chime in soon... I thought of adding 3 MH to my current set up, and I can't imagine things like Radiums going away anytime soon.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SeaDweller ....here I am. I am the halide Jedi. Haha.
no, to the OP- I am using 2 Hamilton 20k bulbs. 250 watts each on my 48/48/24 cube. I use the larger reflectors. 19/19/8 I believe and they put out a ton of spread for sure. I have orpheks (leds) that are getting repaired but I do love these halides for sure.one of my favorite things about them is the fact they are plug and play....

corey

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hamilton is probably your best bet. Unless you find someone selling a used setup.

Champion lighting has a selection of metal halide components as well. I haven't used them in years and I'm not even sure if they're still around. Used to be my go to place for metal halide years ago.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect them to be around for a while. I am running Hamilton 10K right now in their fixture.
8 feet of them. 1400 watts 4 x 250 and 8 T-5
T-5s only
IMG_1990-L.jpg

All of them on with 10k bulbs
IMG_1886-XL.jpg

20K MH and T-5
2019_10_18_0584-XL.jpg

I run these fixtures on 5 timers under the tank. 4 for lights and 1 for fans
T-5 comes on and off 1 hour before and after MH. They are on from 7am - 9pm The 10 K bulbs are much brighter and I have to run the lights higher with them. They make a lot of heat but so far I haven't had to do anything special to deal with it. I get get about a 1 degree rise in temp on some days.
My system stays around 79 and 80.2 is the highest I have seen it. It helps in the winter. I am running 800 watts of heaters. The fans do make a bit of noise. It doesn't bother me though

I am very happy with them.

Last edited:

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is he? *cough* jda... *cough*.

Yo, recently he posted up some ebay auction for some holy grail dimmable fixture; if there was two available, I would have bought it, but there was only one.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just trashed two soligfoi pendants because I figured I would never see a ballast to run them! I don’t see me switching Away from halide anytime in the future. I am using two minis with radiums and a selectable ballast on a 100 gallon Rubbermaid with 4 or2 bars. I will switch to 400w if things grow out far enough to need it.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SeaDweller - does that rival your Holy Grail Fixture :D .

Kidding - yeah the one @jda posted was Sfiligoi and amazing.

Currently , I think it would be hard to beat Hamilton Comuzel reflectors which I posted above for spread and intensity unless you get hold of old Lumenarcs !!

Bulbs - a lot available and depends what you are looking for - SE vs DE , 250 vs 400 ......

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spend the money get a Giesemann Infiniti or Spectra fixture and run good EU mfg bulbs Giesemann, BLV, Ushio on a M80 ballast. I've owned Hamilton and PFO which are half butt for the price. If you order a Infiniti from Giesemann direct the MH ballasts are mounted in the housing and you run a step-up converter.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am selling the above fixture BTW without the reefbrites but nobody wants to buy locally :(
They probably have to see your tank in person, when the MH are off and you're running RB LEDs. THAT's truly when the magic begins for things grown under MH IMO. DAYUUUMMM that stuff GLOWS with LEDs after being cooked under MHs.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spend the money get a Giesemann Infiniti or Spectra fixture and run good EU mfg bulbs Giesemann, BLV, Ushio on a M80 ballast. I've owned Hamilton and PFO which are half *** for the price. If you order a Infiniti from Giesemann direct the MH ballasts are mounted in the housing and you run a step-up converter.

Yeah, ReefBum runs one and a friend of mine has one. Could be a great option, but I’m honestly looking for more spread. Large reflectors blanket the corals more.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably have to see your tank in person, when the MH are off and you're running RB LEDs. THAT's truly when the magic begins for things grown under MH IMO. DAYUUUMMM that stuff GLOWS with LEDs after being cooked under MHs.

IMO, very few... if any... lighting choices grow corals better than Halides combined with T5’s or Halides alone. Every time I see a reef that really impress me it either has Halides or Halide/T5 combo.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, very few... if any... lighting choices grow corals better than Halides combined with T5’s or Halides alone. Every time I see a reef that really impress me it either has Halides or Halide/T5 combo.

Is this your tank? everything looks great.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spend the money get a Giesemann Infiniti or Spectra fixture and run good EU mfg bulbs Giesemann, BLV, Ushio on a M80 ballast. I've owned Hamilton and PFO which are half *** for the price. If you order a Infiniti from Giesemann direct the MH ballasts are mounted in the housing and you run a step-up converter.

As much as I loved my spectra, I sold it as I couldn’t understand their stupid design with the T5s sharing one reflector for a pair and having no fans . The PAR from the T5s were a joke ! The MH reflector was great but nothing close to my old lumenarcs or the Hamilton comuzel .

They look great as a fixture but retrofitting will get your best bang for then buck

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I loved my spectra, I sold it as I couldn’t understand their stupid design with the T5s sharing one reflector for a pair and having no fans . The PAR from the T5s were a joke ! The MH reflector was great but nothing close to my old lumenarcs or the Hamilton comuzel .

They look great as a fixture but retrofitting will get your best bang for then buck
The Infiniti has better par output and focus over the Spectra, there was a video someone did....my Infiniti is retrofitted into my 15" canopy the same way as if it were hung from the ceiling.

For cooling and heating I run a Teco 1000 with a Bubble King Eco 5 pump

thumbnail_privatevarmobileContainersDataApplication0EF99E87-717E-430D-B7E0-7B7C99C08381tmp88A0...jpg
oer5kiWbRw+0pxIw%VWXtw.jpg
qXn9RThCQKCcq8OKImRQXQ.jpg
XfjULJ+SRlyvJ5YDShlu%w.jpg
38kC5tERTm+blksxb3F6rg.jpg

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back