BRS

Gregg @ ADP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Bobby and his wife spent a week here in New York and we had a great time. discussed many fish ideologies. and quarantine or the lack of it.

It depends on what you mean by success. :)
Can it happen? I guess so. Does it happen with a lot of grief and problems? Yes it does.

I outline many times how IMO a new tank should be started and I never would say using dead rock. Live would eliminate so many problems.
Exactly.

I’ve stated on the board numerous times…i start a new reef with live rock right out of the box. No rinsing, no curing. Just sand in, rock in, water in, fish in…and I don’t really give much thought to it beyond that.

People can start their own tanks however they want. I don’t advise here. I simply talk about how I do it…not on my one tank at home, but on client tanks where I have a significant financial interest in being successful. I’ve been in business for almost 20 years. I must be doing something right.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You can now vaccinate your fish.....Who knew? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Review

Dev Biol Stand

. 1997;90:233-41.

Immunization against parasitic diseases of fish​

P T Woo 1
Affiliations expand
  • PMID: 9270852

Abstract​

Parasitologists have not, in the past, exploited the immune system to protect fish against parasitic diseases. In the past few years, however, there has been an increased interest in adopting this strategy, and we have made steady and promising progress against a few parasites which are of economic importance. Amyloodinium ocellatum is an ectoparasitic dinoflagellate on brackish and marine fishes, which may also cause problems to aquarium fishes. Antiserum from fish inoculated intraperitoneally (i.p.) with living dinospores of the parasite immobilizes and agglutinates living dinospores; it also reduces parasite infectivity in cell culture. Cryptobia salmositica is a pathogenic haemoflagellate of salmonids on the Pacific coast of North America, causing mortality in semi-natural and intensive salmon culture facilities. A live attenuated vaccine inoculated i.p. protects susceptible juvenile and adult fish for at least 24 months. The protection involves production of complement fixing antibodies, phagocytosis, and antibody-dependent and antibody-independent T-cell cytotoxicity. A monoclonal antibody against a surface membrane glycoprotein (199-200 kDa is therapeutic in that it significantly reduces parasitaemias when inoculated into fish with acute disease. Ichthyophthirius multifiliis is an ectoparasitic ciliate of freshwater fishes with world wide distribution, usually causing disease when fish are stressed and/or when environmental conditions are favourable for parasite multiplication. Live theronts injected into the body cavity protect fish, and monoclonal antibodies with immobilizing activity upon parasites have been developed. There is some evidence of passive transfer of protective immunity from immune to naive fish, and to eggs. Diplostomum spathaceum is an intestinal parasite of gulls; the metacercaria stage of the parasite encyst and causes disease and mortality in numerous species of freshwater fish in Europe and in North America. Fish injected i.p. with sonicated/killed cercariae or metacercariae have fewer metacercariae in the eyes and survives longer. Lepeophtheirus salmonis and Caligus elongatus are parasitic copepods (sea lice), and they are important parasites of Atlantic salmon in cage cultures. A vaccine against fish lice is plausible, and the efficacy of about 20 candidate antigens in protecting fish is being tested.
Way off topic, this thread has deteriorated like a dead snail upside in a forgotten 5 gallon pail after last month’s water change.

Still love the power debate and information sharing on Reef2Reef.

I love puppies too.
Let’s drop a gif to celebrate Today
Celebrate The Bachelor GIF

Plenty for all you all.

Cyber Monday

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Peter I honestly believe a certain lucky mix of aged home tank + LFS that sources and cares = skip preps

you just can't advise anyone else to use that method, they don't live in your surroundings. You have to match your teachings to what students will encounter

Readers about reef tanks and cycling do NOT need to fear ammonia at all like we've been trained to ( so we click buy bottle bac and prop up the sellers )

ALL new readers especially cycling tank readers need to read up on fish disease prevention steps, qt choices, before they read about ammonia fear. prepare your new reef tank for building with 99% reading and days long contemplation on disease protocols, and then spend fifteen minutes looking up seneye owner's posted information to learn about ammonia control dates. Reading six seneye posts will end the concern about ammonia, it'll be a non issue and nobody will test for it again once seneye becomes the basis by which we evaluation what bacteria do for filtration

when a new tank owner is ready to read about ammonia, after they're well-versed on fallow and QT procedure, they'd eschew any current fear training (dont read any prior reef tank cycling articles they're bunk) and read the article taricha is about to post as he investigates broken cycle tendency/ability if at all/ in a real display reef tank.

All efforts in reef tank cycling will slowly drift away from ammonia control fear, and fully into disease preps. ammonia control is a given where there is water, rocks, and ten days wait. it's in the charts for eighty years for a reason.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just find someone with an OLD ish healthy looking tank, maybe 10 or 20 years old who does not spend time on disease forums for his or her own tank and learn what they do. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Way off topic, this thread has deteriorated like a dead snail upside in a forgotten 5 gallon pail after last month’s water change.

Still love the power debate and information sharing on Reef2Reef.

I love puppies too.
Let’s drop a gif to celebrate Today
Celebrate The Bachelor GIF

Plenty for all you all.
I decided to take this to heart. I am making Texas Caviar today for Thanksgiving lunch at my sisters and I got a little carried away while shopping this morning: a pint of raw oysters, 2 lbs of shrimp, 2 lbs of live mussels will be enjoyed this evening for Friendsgiving along with a quart of Irish whiskey. I like Jameson Black Barrel.

Never Wash Another Nasty Filter Sock Again!

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I decided to take this to heart. I am making Texas Caviar today for Thanksgiving lunch at my sisters and I got a little carried away while shopping this morning: a pint of raw oysters, 2 lbs of shrimp, 2 lbs of live mussels will be enjoyed this evening for Friendsgiving along with a quart of Irish whiskey. I like Jameson Black Barrel.
Very good to know. The holidays are stressful and not necessarily a happy time of year. Just wanted to add in an appeal for your tank inhabitants as they may appreciate a few scraps from your feast!

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

I usually have a pour of Green Spot Chateau Leovill Barton. If I'm running low then I'll pull out the Yellow Spot. Either will work but I find the Chateau to be a bit more smooth for my tastes.

We did have a bottle of the Jameson Black that was bottled after we took the tour a few years back right out of the barrel.

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Very good to know. The holidays are stressful and not necessarily a happy time of year. Just wanted to add in an appeal for your tank inhabitants as they may appreciate a few scraps from your feast!

The live mussels are for the tank inhabitants: Hippo is a pig, Sea Apple feeds heavy on mussel juice and bits of flesh.

This is feeding live gut cavity bacteria to the system.

Red tree sponge new growth shows white when algae Blennie & Hippo let it grow.

Attachments

• 8B921B4A-2982-4B60-B540-156B3BB46329.jpeg
    8B921B4A-2982-4B60-B540-156B3BB46329.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 5F7BD80B-8FDB-4E2D-AF31-9B86400F70FA.jpeg
    5F7BD80B-8FDB-4E2D-AF31-9B86400F70FA.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 5EF4821B-5951-4960-A6EF-6521B3107314.jpeg
    5EF4821B-5951-4960-A6EF-6521B3107314.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 73B29B79-FCFF-44D8-9433-0BA64E21E7DB.jpeg
    73B29B79-FCFF-44D8-9433-0BA64E21E7DB.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 6
Cyber Monday

chipz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've had good luck getting fish from other hobbyists and not ending up with diseases from that calculated risk. I don't usually QT those, but I do QT from my LFS. I've lost more fish in QT, but I would rather that than lose the fish that I am emotionally invested in as pets.

BRS

Does it matter to you whether your fish are captive-bred or wild caught?

• I only buy captive bred fish.

Votes: 55 13.5%
  • It matters, but I will buy either captive-bred or wild-caught.

Votes: 301 74.0%
  • I think wild-caught fish are the better option.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • I don’t care where the fish were bred.

Votes: 45 11.1%
AAF