Are Radion G5/6s too weak on PAR now with all the spread?

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, when it comes to LED spread is waaaay better than par. 250 - 400 with tons of spread is way better than anything over 400 imo.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, is it just me, or does all of this "amazing" spread of the new radions seem to be too much at the expense of its power?

I have an IM 40 tank, 24" x 20" x 19", not a huge, deep tank (19" deep/tall). I have two xr15 G5 pros on there, running 100% intensity on AB+ with some additional whites added in, and I barely get 250 PAR like 8" below the surface in the middle of the tank.

Now right up against the glass of the tank, I get like 300-375 PAR a ways down, which is great for my frag racks on the glass, but not so great for all my corals that are actually on my rocks throughout the tank. I assume the higher PAR near the glass is due to all this fantastic spread bouncing off the glass, but it's not helping most of the area in the tank. These lights just don't seem to shine down into the tank enough.

It seems like ecotech tried to emulate the spread of T5s, and I suppose they did. What seems to be missing here is that you could pack enough T5s over the tank to get the even spread with enough PAR. With the radions, however, I can't pack enough of them into the available space to get them to overlap to reach the needed PAR. A bit of a fail on the new gens, IMO.

Is anyone else having this problem, or is it just me???

Btw, anyone have any G4s for sale?
Probably something up with your par meter like others have mentioned. Too many quality lights out there to warrant the price tag on these. I think the G6 30 is $900? Buy a Kessil instead and keep the change. You’ll be happy you did!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back