Are really stringy white poops a sign of internal parasites or is it a myth?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm.. interseting.. i have a bunch of angels and tank is doing great.. knock on wood.. lots of QT.. however, I notice one the other day with this stringy poop. He has been in the tank for a year or more and doing well. I was going to treat the entire tank with some prazzi but have not gotten around to it. All is well so I have avoid it on this basis also. Lets see if I can get a video posted..
Does it eat? Does it gaining wheight?

Sincerely Lasse

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My square patch anthia has white stringy poop. He has been through a full qt copper, GC, Prazi. He is the only one in the tank out of 14 fish who does, which include 2 Bartletts. No issues at all. He does primarily eat mysis and I have always attributed his poop to the mysis.

Attach101117_20190105_182822.jpg

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You missed my point. I should have said my opinion doesn't matter any more than the next person.

I sure do get criticized more than most people (which honestly doesn't bother me). It pushes me to learn more, do more research, be a better hobbyist. I just do what I feel is right. My way isn't the only way, I've said that many times.

If I read someone is treating with velvet with garlic, I will tell them that garlic isn't known to cure velvet. Proven methods are copper, CP, etc.

My methods are pretty "up to date" if you look around. IMO.

Maybe this link would be helpful:
https://www.nationalfishpharm.com/fish_diseases/fecal_disorders.html

My humble question is what do you tell me if I said that garlic can have effect at least to one of the known facultative pathogens from the diplomonad family? And some herbs too?

The diplomonad family – the only known facultative pathogen family where the corresponding disease show up indications that includ a thin white stringy poop IMO. I have not during the years seen any published article there a thin white string poop is one of the indications according internal parasites other than from the diplomonad family. If you have access to that – a scientific published article that shows that other internal parasites or internal worms (they should also be classified as parasites) have these stringy white poops as one of the indications. Please publish that link here. The diplomonad family including the genera Spironucleus (former Hexamita) and other genera of flagellates

I do not count in internal bacteria in this – because the thread is about if a thin stringy white poop is always a sign of internal parasites

Sincerely Lasse

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And then when the fish is so badly harmed it stops eating and can no longer be treated, then what? That happens, frequently. I share @HotRocks experience, figuratively and literally.
You can use a bath. Saltwater fish absorb medications from tank water. Btw I don’t mean a 10 minute bath I mean a treatment tank for the recommended period.

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a bath. Saltwater fish absorb medications from tank water. Btw I don’t mean a 10 minute bath I mean a treatment tank for the recommended period.

You can, but most people’s experience is that a bath of metro is less effective than binding it to food. It’s my experience as well. Even the link that Lasse posted in this thread indicates that a bath is an alternative treatment with the subtext that the preferred treatment is to bind it to food. Also, in order to treat with a bath you may have to get the fish out of a display which can be a monumental undertaking instead of just feeding a fish medicated food in the tank before they get so sick that you have to go fishing.

These points have been made numerous times on this thread.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can, but most people’s experience is that a bath of metro is less effective than binding it to food. It’s my experience as well. Even the link that Lasse posted in this thread indicates that a bath is an alternative treatment with the subtext that the preferred treatment is to bind it to food. Also, in order to treat with a bath you may have to get the fish out of a display which can be a monumental undertaking instead of just feeding a fish medicated food in the tank before they get so sick that you have to go fishing.

These points have been made numerous times on this thread.
I’m not sure that oral is more effective than a bath and there is more potential for an overdose. Secondly no one mentioned taking fish out of a display. Instead most people have suggested observation for a couple or several days to see if the poop problem resolved on its own. The funny thing is in the very near future my strong suspicion is that people will be unable to obtain prophylactic antibiotics at all and will be difficult to get antibiotics without a prescription. So there’s that. Good luck getting cipro for an anemone or fluconazole for algae for a couple other examples

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not sure that oral is more effective than a bath and there is more potential for an overdose. Secondly no one mentioned taking fish out of a display. Instead most people have suggested observation for a couple or several days to see if the poop problem resolved on its own. The funny thing is in the very near future my strong suspicion is that people will be unable to obtain prophylactic antibiotics at all and will be difficult to get antibiotics without a prescription. So there’s that. Good luck getting cipro for an anemone or fluconazole for algae for a couple other examples

Ps. In case you missed the question I was answering is what do you do when fish are not eating as a reason for immediate vs waiting for a couple days before treatment

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good thing is I have Kilos of everything I use :)

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seems to me to be a good reason to prophylactically treat all fish now while we have access to medications instead of avoiding treatment and possibly missing diseases that you may have to treat later when it could be harder to get medications.

But as has already been mentioned, it’s not impossible to get medications in places where they have been “banned”. You have to go through the proper channels, which is exactly the point.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems to me to be a good reason to prophylactically treat all fish now while we have access to medications instead of avoiding treatment and possibly missing diseases that you may have to treat later when it could be harder to get medications.

But as has already been mentioned, it’s not impossible to get medications in places where they have been “banned”. You have to go through the proper channels, which is exactly the point.
Well I just asked my sister who is a veterinarian about giving prophylactic treatments for fish she said no way only if they have a documented illness. But that the new standards are way against prophylactic treatment

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just asked my sister who is a veterinarian about giving prophylactic treatments for fish she said no way only if they have a documented illness. But that the new standards are way against prophylactic treatment
I agree, it's just silly to throw a fish in a bunch of medications "just in case". Many ways to reef so to each there own.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lasse.. your comment is exactly my concern.. yes of all the angels.. all are eating.. it is just some are fat plump stomachs all the time a few two or three while eating are not really growing like the rest. but as I noted.. these have all been the tank together for over a year.. so if these two or three have the worms... they others are not contracting it...

but yes... the one i noticed the other day is from a pair of hybrid .. flagfin-goldflake.. the two were the same size at time of purchase. now one is about 20 percent larger than the other.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess @Lasse my question would be if white stringy poop is not necessarily a symptom of internal parasites that would necessitate treatment in your opinion? Ps already realize that not eating white poop and not gaining weight may be some of them)

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Weird, my vets actually commend my prophylactic treatments and have always given me prescriptions many times in the past without a peep. Vets routinely give shots and medication to prevent, cure, and prevent diseases for other animals. For example, most vets will happily give your dog a shot to prevent kennel cough without your dog actually getting kennel cough or a they will prescribe a pill to prevent fleas. Similarly, most will understand that ich or flukes is way more prevalent with marine fish than kennel cough if you explain it. Protecting a display tank full of fish is a reasonable approach instead of accidentally infecting a display full of fish and potentially having to treat all of them.

Your prejudice on this subject is quite apparent from your posts. I’m sure your “sister” was led to her answer. What vet office does she work for?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example, most vets will happily give your dog a shot to prevent kennel cough without your dog actually getting kennel cough
Yes they do, and ask them how long it protects? 6 months tops and even then it’s not 100%. And ask your vet if the practice is becoming more widespread because dog kennel insurance companies insist all dogs staying at kennels are vaccinated, otherwise they won’t insure them... yet another dodgy unnecessary practice that may compromise pets health...

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird, my vets actually commend my prophylactic treatments and have always given me prescriptions many times in the past without a peep.
Well I wouldn’t trust your vet at all, he’s breaking the law to prescribe you drugs to administer to fish that aren’t ill... he sounds like a really conscientious man

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wouldn’t trust your vet at all, he’s breaking the law to prescribe you drugs to administer to fish that aren’t ill... he sounds like a really conscientious man

There isn’t a law that he’s breaking and my current vet is one of the most conscientious and caring people I know. He’s taken hours reading articles I’ve sent on fish disease and spent time researching fish disease that he doesn’t see on a regular basis in order to provide guidance, most of the time without asking for payment. Your comment is an offensive attack on someone that you don’t know about “laws” that you know nothing about.

It seems the people that are most dead set against treating fish are also the ones that are making things up and/or posting research and then simply ignoring or dismissing the part that doesn’t support their conclusion. Maybe try just having better arguments?

Last edited:

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn’t a law that he’s breaking and my current vet is one of the most conscientious and caring people I know. He’s taken hours reading articles I’ve sent on fish disease and spent time researching fish disease that he doesn’t see on a regular basis in order to provide guidance, most of the time without asking for payment. Your comment is an offensive attack on someone that you don’t know.
If he’s supplying/ prescribing you Prescription medicines like antibiotics without seeing the animal he’s breaking the law

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird, my vets actually commend my prophylactic treatments and have always given me prescriptions many times in the past without a peep. Vets routinely give shots and medication to prevent, cure, and prevent diseases for other animals. For example, most vets will happily give your dog a shot to prevent kennel cough without your dog actually getting kennel cough or a they will prescribe a pill to prevent fleas. Similarly, most will understand that ich or flukes is way more prevalent with marine fish than kennel cough if you explain it. Protecting a display tank full of fish is a reasonable approach instead of accidentally infecting a display full of fish and potentially having to treat all of them.

Your prejudice on this subject is quite apparent from your posts. I’m sure your “sister” was led to her answer. What vet office does she work for?
And your prejudice against others on how they want to run their tanks is definitely well known.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back