Are Reef Keeper systems still any good to use even though they are no more?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a bit of control the the 72 build, without dropping 1K on a GHL system ( hate the way apex looks sorry apex people) Im mainly after Temp ( i hear salinity isnt worth it) PH if its there, and some control to turn skimmer, flow pump, and return pump off for WC, and maintenance. Would be nice if i could get it to control a doser, but may just buy a Doser separate like a GHL or Bubble Magnus.

if not are there any alternatives? Need to keep it as clean as i can.

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOuthernreefer DA Reefkeeper systems still work well. We have figured out other probes to use. I have 3 or 4 of their systems and still have new modules in the box in some instances. If your interested let me know.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOuthernreefer DA Reefkeeper systems still work well. We have figured out other probes to use. I have 3 or 4 of their systems and still have new modules in the box in some instances. If your interested let me know.
I may be. My light that i ordered already has wifi control, so i dont need light control. I own an ATO, already and intended to use that, so i wouldn't for say need that control. Id be after temp and PH, maybe the only light control id want is the ability to turn off my fuge light during the day, and on at night for a 12 hour cycle.

Id like to be able to turn my skimmer, gyre and return pump off and on for maintenance. OH! and dosing of some kind. although im torn, if i want the controller to do that, or just buy a bubble magnus t-11

What would be your recommendations? Not an apex fan, and this seems like it might be a lower budget option, without going with GHL at lke 1K and i cant stand the look of Apex.

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a reefkeeper lite is your ticket. an SL1 module for PH and a few power centers (4 ports each). Each PC4 has 2 switched and 2 solid state sockets. I had my pumps, skimmer, and reactors all automatically controlled for maintenance including staggered restart (skimmer 5 min after return pumps). I have 1 or 2 reefkeeper lites around here.

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

See this thread for more info. Danny and I know eachother as we both were a part of Digital Aquatics Team DA, a select few who helped DA support and did a majority of user acceptance testing prior to module releases.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a reefkeeper lite is your ticket. an SL1 module for PH and a few power centers (4 ports each). Each PC4 has 2 switched and 2 solid state sockets. I had my pumps, skimmer, and reactors all automatically controlled for maintenance including staggered restart (skimmer 5 min after return pumps). I have 1 or 2 reefkeeper lites around here.
Whats the difference in the lIte vs elite? I have seen both on line used for sale. Is the ATO something that is a good add on? I have a JBJ ato unit that i had from my 90 i was going to use, but if their ATO option is better, i can use that for parts for the 220 as it uses the same.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The major difference is that the LITE can only do up to 4 modules where as the Elite could handle like 32 or more I believe. I just sold everything I had DA except for what I am using on a lizard enclosure. They were pretty solid systems and it was sad to see them go.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The major difference is that the LITE can only do up to 4 modules where as the Elite could handle like 32 or more I believe. I just sold everything I had DA except for what I am using on a lizard enclosure. They were pretty solid systems and it was sad to see them go.
been doing some research, and looks like coralvue is entering that market now, with the announcement of the hydros control 2 and control 4. Im watching that right now, and discovered the Reef Angel, which is open source, and highly programmable. SO we will see what i end up going with. In no hurry, this build will be done right.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I like that they are doing on the Hydros. I am definately rooting for those guys. Im rather tired of APEX all the time. dont get me wrong, its a very solid system, but just dont like their interface looks. I built a Reef-pi that has been running for a year or so. Just a very simple system. it controls heater, ATO and all outlets. I dont have PH on it, but I havent watched PH in years.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I like that they are doing on the Hydros. I am definately rooting for those guys. Im rather tired of APEX all the time. dont get me wrong, its a very solid system, but just dont like their interface looks. I built a Reef-pi that has been running for a year or so. Just a very simple system. it controls heater, ATO and all outlets. I dont have PH on it, but I havent watched PH in years.
Im the same way. I'm sick of apex this, and apex that. Also looking at reef angel, but likely I'll do hydros control 4 when it releases, paired with a wave engine.

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 apex I am running, and I have a ton of DA stuff. DOund 2 new Salinity probes in the box and 2 new SL2's lol..still have 20+ PC4's...think I will use that on the frag tank as soon as I get off my lazy butt and build the stand for it.

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what your looking to do I think you could get away with the lite. It does everything basic your looking for, just get the SL1 for pH and Temperature. Don’t waste your time with the NET module, it’s more trouble than it’s worth imo.

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what your looking to do I think you could get away with the lite. It does everything basic your looking for, just get the SL1 for pH and Temperature. Don’t waste your time with the NET module, it’s more trouble than it’s worth imo.
If you travel the web module is good. saved my bacon a few times when away, but other than that it is optional.

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you travel the web module is good. saved my bacon a few times when away, but other than that it is optional.
Definitely agree that the module can be very helpful, however my experience was not very good with it because you can only use certain emails. I found that I had to keep on checking on it to get it to work properly. I believe others have had issues with it as well

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back