Are Reef2Reef build threads helpful to you and your reefing journey?

• I regularly look at build threads and find them helpful.

Votes: 165 50.2%
  • I occasionally look at build threads for inspiration.

Votes: 97 29.5%
  • I rarely look at build threads.

Votes: 56 17.0%
  • Build threads? What are build threads?

Votes: 11 3.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I’m thankful for build threads. Is there a specific build thread that you are thankful for? We have a whole section of this forum that is specifically for our members to share their systems, journal their reefing experience, and be able to document the process. You can check out the build thread section here! Although many of our members post their build threads in the Member Tanks section, there are also sections for nano tanks, all-in-ones (AIO), cube tanks, frag tanks, large tanks (180 gallons to 399 gallons), and monster tanks (over 400 gallons). Another quick tip - by clicking on the build thread banner below a member's screen name then it will take you to their build thread. Side note: if you have a build thread, but don't have the banner then you can find the directions here. Please share the link to your favorite build threads below and tell us why! In addition to build threads, we also spotlight very special tanks...

MarounC_ROTM.png

Photo by @maroun.c

Every month we feature a Reef of the Month (ROTM) with pictures and an interview from amazing reefers who have stunning aquariums! If you haven't kept up with the ROTM selections, then you can see many of those threads here. If you know of a reef tank that you think should be featured as a ROTM then feel free to reach out to me, @Daniel@R2R, or any of the R2R staff (or submit a report) and let us know. If you find a ROTM that catchs your attention, then please post in the related thread, see if that member has their own build thread, or come back here and share your thoughts in the discussion below.

Oh, and if you haven't started your own build thread then it may be time to share!!!

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i look at build threads from people with similar sized tanks than i for inspiration on live stock, rock and pump placement, as well as coral
placement. also, it helps with showing if certain things are really necessary (reactors, under DT equipment, etc)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HUGE for me, seeing how others are doing things, getting inspired and so much more!

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like looking at build threads. Many of these threads are responsible at least in part for my system's operation. It also has another important function, for me anyway. You all know that it is almost impossible to reconcile all the different advice given on this forum. Don't get me wrong. I very much appreciate all that advice and have benefitted greatly from it. I know everyone references their own experiences when giving advice. Looking at the build threads of those giving advice helps me understand where they are coming from and which advice applies to my situation.

I love reading the TOM threads. They provide something to aspire to.

fowler279

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I as well enjoy looking at build threads. Especially when i was starting my new tank. Sometimes helps put things in perspective. Stocking ideas, placement, plumbing, equipment, etc in those threads can sometimes help others.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them a lot! It’s the best way to ask questions of how people did something. It also helps with inspiration a ton.

My own build threads even help me, I tend to show growth stages of coral and fish. My build threads are the best place to document the aging of different species.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspiration and instruction, this forum is invaluable for anything reefing related. It would be foolish to get an aquarium, and knowing that this information is available, not look up what others with your specific aquarium have done with theirs.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be honest here. I rarely if ever look at other people build threads. The ones I look at are of things that I would never in my wildest dream have the ability to own. 2000+ gallon in-floor+coffee table Reef+Shark+Seahorse tanks. I do watch my view count on my personal build thread and it makes my heart warm to know so many people have viewed my little ol' 200 litre cube of reef. I have never figured out how to generate interactions on my thread though, 98% of my build thread is me talking to myself, cataloging things for my own knowledge base. I'm okay with that though.

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really looked at build threads of tanks of a similar size to my own when I first perused forums. It helped me learn what fish, inverts, coral and equipment were best suited for my tank. I also could see aquascapes and see maintenance practices of other reefers.

Rham1281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always enjoy reading through other people's threads and seeing their process. I've learned a lot from what others have done and it's saved me from making some mistakes. It's also really inspiring to see what other people have done with their scapes as I start looking towards my own scape.

Rham1281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspiration and instruction, this forum is invaluable for anything reefing related. It would be foolish to get an aquarium, and knowing that this information is available, not look up what others with your specific aquarium have done with theirs.
Before I started to build my own tank I was trying to just gather information. There are a lot of sources but this site is by far the best. Being able to see other's tanks is one of the best parts!

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than the display, i look at the sump and its management . How each sump is customized , arrangement of equipment and related stuff. Pros and cons etc
At times reefers have gone a step ahead and done some modifications to the sumps of plug n play systems even that makes an interesting read.
All in all build threads are interesting especially if its of a similar size.

Thanks

Anton Wray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m thankful for build threads. Is there a specific build thread that you are thankful for? We have a whole section of this forum that is specifically for our members to share their systems, journal their reefing experience, and be able to document the process. You can check out the build thread section here! Although many of our members post their build threads in the Member Tanks section, there are also sections for nano tanks, all-in-ones (AIO), cube tanks, frag tanks, large tanks (180 gallons to 399 gallons), and monster tanks (over 400 gallons). Another quick tip - by clicking on the build thread banner below a member's screen name then it will take you to their build thread. Side note: if you have a build thread, but don't have the banner then you can find the directions here. Please share the link to your favorite build threads below and tell us why! In addition to build threads, we also spotlight very special tanks...

MarounC_ROTM.png

Photo by @maroun.c

Every month we feature a Reef of the Month (ROTM) with pictures and an interview from amazing reefers who have stunning aquariums! If you haven't kept up with the ROTM selections, then you can see many of those threads here. If you know of a reef tank that you think should be featured as a ROTM then feel free to reach out to me, @Daniel@R2R, or any of the R2R staff (or submit a report) and let us know. If you find a ROTM that catchs your attention, then please post in the related thread, see if that member has their own build thread, or come back here and share your thoughts in the discussion below.

Oh, and if you haven't started your own build thread then it may be time to share!!!
What an amazing piece of the ocean, congratulations.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE build threads. That said, they are often frustrating to read. Part of the problem is that a “thread” isn’t really the best way to document a tank - how it was set up, equipment, livestock, then and now photos, etc. I wish there was a way to highlight a current full tank shot. That’s usually the first thing I want to see, before I decide if I want to read through the thread. FTSs can be hard to find in a buld thread. As can much of the other morsels hidden within, if you do take the time to read through them. There can be too much chitchat, too many pictures of individual colonies (which are great too, but add to the clutter if you just want to see the big picture)…

Catnip885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to peruse the build threads of the same tank that I have to get scape ideas. It also helped get me through the ugly phase as it helped remind me that everyone goes through it and that I wasn't alone in the struggles. Sometimes it is disheartening looking at beautiful show tanks then look at your tank when it is going through stuff

Dustinjw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like them so if I see people's advice on certain things I'm looking for i can see if they have a nice tank to hopefully show that they aren't feeding me with a line of bs.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely helpful for me as I really appreciate seeing how everyone designs/plans their plumbing, waterflow and aquascapes.

Also really helps as I’m planning to upgrade to a 125-150 gallon next year and like builds for models I’m considering.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back