Are Reef2Reef build threads helpful to you and your reefing journey?

• I regularly look at build threads and find them helpful.

Votes: 165 50.2%
  • I occasionally look at build threads for inspiration.

Votes: 97 29.5%
  • I rarely look at build threads.

Votes: 56 17.0%
  • Build threads? What are build threads?

Votes: 11 3.3%

• Total voters

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never do anything new until I do a quick search. The great thing about this community is hobbyist are so excited to share their own successes and failures. I find most times its better to learn from ones failure. This hobby is not easy and there are so many variable so I thing we should do a better job at encouraging hobbyist to discuss their setbacks so others don't repeat!

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was contemplating taking on building a Monster tank, Plywood, Fiberglass and glass I read every thread I could find. It was an inspiration and a lot of tips and tricks learned which I believe helped make my tank a success.
IMG_4796.JPG

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love build threads, I try as much as possible not to reinvent the wheel.

There are so many innovative people in this hobby!!!

I’m a true DIYer… I would rather spend $1k building my own custom leds than give away $800 for overpriced diodes

Truth be told, only the first one is 1k after that maybe 100…

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m thankful for build threads. Is there a specific build thread that you are thankful for? We have a whole section of this forum that is specifically for our members to share their systems, journal their reefing experience, and be able to document the process. You can check out the build thread section here! Although many of our members post their build threads in the Member Tanks section, there are also sections for nano tanks, all-in-ones (AIO), cube tanks, frag tanks, large tanks (180 gallons to 399 gallons), and monster tanks (over 400 gallons). Another quick tip - by clicking on the build thread banner below a member's screen name then it will take you to their build thread. Side note: if you have a build thread, but don't have the banner then you can find the directions here. Please share the link to your favorite build threads below and tell us why! In addition to build threads, we also spotlight very special tanks...

MarounC_ROTM.png

Photo by @maroun.c

Every month we feature a Reef of the Month (ROTM) with pictures and an interview from amazing reefers who have stunning aquariums! If you haven't kept up with the ROTM selections, then you can see many of those threads here. If you know of a reef tank that you think should be featured as a ROTM then feel free to reach out to me, @Daniel@R2R, or any of the R2R staff (or submit a report) and let us know. If you find a ROTM that catchs your attention, then please post in the related thread, see if that member has their own build thread, or come back here and share your thoughts in the discussion below.

Oh, and if you haven't started your own build thread then it may be time to share!!!
I update my build as I add new things or make changes. I visit others build threads when they mention it in a post. I sometimes pick up inspiration to try something new, research a topic further or make a change based on what I've seen and read. I crave having a tank that looks anywhere near most of the ROTM.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the build threads! I personally like looking at threads with similar tanks to see how they are running, maintaining and stocking theirs. I also enjoy seeing some of the larger build threads, especially those that go into a lot of the setup detail as they inspire me for hopefully a future build.

One other thing I really like about build threads, is that your own personal build thread is a great "diary" for your own tank. I enjoy looking back at some of the past posts in my own build threads and seeing the journey and progression of the tanks.

Back