Are snowflake eels considered "Reef Safe?" And other questions.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, lots of progress! Too bad it's so hot.

And I'm bringing the sump home next week, I'm at Lake Tahoe for vacation. Trying to catch some fish, I got some blue gill yesterday. What should I buy after I get that sump home?

@Duke4Life
I'd be curing what rock I was going to be using so that it's ready to go when you are.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! Got the sump, and I put it under the aquarium. Connected the sump to my overflow box.
f43e5d4b9e431f4faa399efacf5d6a3a.jpg

c81e4d2b7f7ce8ef7bfaf75505adbcd9.jpg

What now??

@Duke4Life

AcanSkywalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is the space I have under my Aquarium.
e0760f50ede0da2551d119c44eabca12.jpg

Measurements
The two cabinets on each side is 18'' in length
They are 19 1/2'' wide
And they are 23'' high.

Is this enough space for a sump and whatever else I need for the Aquarium? Also I will get a HOB Protein skimmer. But I don't know what I'd be able to fit or what I can do.

@FeliciaLynn

@Eienna

@Humblefish

Also, I know Mandarin fish are not good starter fish. But once the tank is very established, and the other fish are thriving well, could I get one with an eel? Do they get along?

You could always put one on each side by plumbing them together using bulkheads. Buy a couple of brute containers at Home Depot, a length of PVC and some acrylic if you want to make compartments. Then all you need is silicon and two bulkheads. Drain and protein skimmer on one side, rock and return on the other.

Sealion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 2 years into saltwater tanks. We tried a snowflake eel in our 29 gallon Biocube. It was a small one. Just watch out because they will get into places you don't expect. That stand you have will not work for a large tank. Remember water is over 8.8 pounds per gallon and add weight of rocks. Get a sump, I just switched to one with a refugium built in and room for a skimmer if I want.

AcanSkywalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a little expensive but I like Caribsea's Life rock. It's comes seeded with bacteria, there's no pest to worry about, plus it has a purple Coralline like color.
For sand I recommend Tropic Eden Reefflakes.
I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals for salt. Bulk reef supply sells a four stage RODI system for around $135

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked out the rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater sells? Once moved and I have my other tank in hand, this is what I'll be going after. Also considering your going to house an eel I would add my rock before the sand so that the sand can help stabilize your rock formations.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 2 years into saltwater tanks. We tried a snowflake eel in our 29 gallon Biocube. It was a small one. Just watch out because they will get into places you don't expect. That stand you have will not work for a large tank. Remember water is over 8.8 pounds per gallon and add weight of rocks. Get a sump, I just switched to one with a refugium built in and room for a skimmer if I want.
Ever think about a golden dwarf for the 29? This would be a much better fit in a small tank.

Sahye

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take in a really small eel and always feed it until it refuse to eat anymore then i don't think it will attack yr cleaner crew.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Duke4Life while I am saving up for everything and working on my 100 gallon, I found a 29 uni biocube, and I think I want to do a fuzzy dwarf lionfish. The tank is cycling. I have some ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I will wait until all ammonia and nitrites are gone.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Duke4Life while I am saving up for everything and working on my 100 gallon, I found a 29 uni biocube, and I think I want to do a fuzzy dwarf lionfish. The tank is cycling. I have some ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I will wait until all ammonia and nitrites are gone.
Very nice!

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, that sounds so cool, so it makes it look nicer? @Duke4Life

Also I got the 29 Gallon sucked for a dwarf lion. And the sump for the 100 gallon is under the tank now! I had to move the supports around under the aquarium because the sump wouldn't fit... and I got the aquarium stable and the water is even! I used wooden shims. So now I am really on my way to getting the 100 up and running. I want to buy the Bulk Reef Supply RODI system. Should I get the 6 stage one or the 4 stage. Does it really matter? Also what are your thoughts on a hydor ATO? Also the guys at my LFS Had a good suggestion for making sure no air bubbles start accumulating in the overflow. I will apoxi glue a little check valve on the two little over flow tunes that bring the water into the box, and when ever there are bubbles, I suck up the air. What do you think?

Last edited:

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One if my LFS put a snowflake eel in a reef along with a Morris's idol, harlequin tusk, and a blue throar trigger along with some other fish. Everything is eating frozen and supper healthy. He even has acros growing in the tank!!

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Duke4Life how do I raise salinity in my 29 Gallon? It's at 1.018 I thought it was at 1.023 but I guess my Refracotmeter wasn't calibrated correctly. I got a falco hawk yesterday, thinking I had the right salinity, then I tested my freshwater aqaurium for salinity and it wasn't at zero, then I checked tap and wasn't at 0. So I knew something was wrong after that. The little guy is alive. I didn't have much time but this morning I just set up a 10 Gallon in the bathroom and put a filter to circulate the water and a heater. Then I didn't have time to measure the salt so I just tossed in a few handfuls into the 10 Gallon. I did this because I know you are supposed to circulate the water with the salt instead of just adding the salt into the aqaurium. So what do i do?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back