Are some wave types dangerous to use in our tanks

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read somewhere that there was a type of wave that put pressure on the seams and weakened the tank over time. Can anyone tell me if this is so and what wave types to avoid?

I'll be using 2 Red sea 45's (gyres). ONe on each side of the overflow box (Reefer 3xl900
And 2 mp40's at each end. Prob. 1 up and 1 down

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from the Tsunami Mode

clark little beach GIF

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mp40s have a Wave Auto function that if tuned right can make some serious waves.

Damage to seals? Maybe if it's a rectangle box without internal overflows.

I would think water hitting the side wall, by physics, the water pressure would get transferred into the internal overflows before stressing the glass

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be using 2 Red sea 45's (gyres). ONe on each side of the overflow box (Reefer 3xl900
And 2 mp40's at each end. Prob. 1 up and 1 down
I might suggest the reverse: Gyres on either side and the 4x MP40’s along the back (2 on either side of the overflow), maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of the way down.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might suggest the reverse: Gyres on either side and the 4x MP40’s along the back (2 on either side of the overflow), maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of the way down.
What is the reasoning for your suggestion? I've seen many red seas with them vertical next to overflow. I'm not set on doing that, just trying to figure out the best flow for this large of a tank. Next is to figure out how high and wave types!! And whether to vary the waves during day and slow down at night. This is a new ball game for me!!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reasoning for your suggestion? I've seen many red seas with them vertical next to overflow. I'm not set on doing that, just trying to figure out the best flow for this large of a tank. Next is to figure out how high and wave types!! And whether to vary the waves during day and slow down at night. This is a new ball game for me!!!
Well, you’ve already got the two outlets on either side of the overflow which tend to push a lot of water to the corners of the tank. With the gyres on the sides, I’m able to disrupt that a bit and get the flow moving in more of a circular pattern on each side of the tank. It also really depends on your aquascaping, but I’ve found the most difficult aspect seems to be cycling from back to front, hence my suggestions for the MP40’s along the back of the tank.

I have anothr pair of smaller Gyres that I’ve placed horizontally on either side of the overflow that only run @10-20% and serve as backups in the event there’s a power failure.

If you’d like to see my setup/programming, just drop me a PM and I’ll send you some pics and my ReefBeat schedule for the ReefWave 45’s. It might be helpful to just give you some ideas.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you’ve already got the two outlets on either side of the overflow which tend to push a lot of water to the corners of the tank. With the gyres on the sides, I’m able to disrupt that a bit and get the flow moving in more of a circular pattern on each side of the tank. It also really depends on your aquascaping, but I’ve found the most difficult aspect seems to be cycling from back to front, hence my suggestions for the MP40’s along the back of the tank.

I have anothr pair of smaller Gyres that I’ve placed horizontally on either side of the overflow that only run @10-20% and serve as backups in the event there’s a power failure.

If you’d like to see my setup/programming, just drop me a PM and I’ll send you some pics and my ReefBeat schedule for the ReefWave 45’s. It might be helpful to just give you some ideas.
thanks!

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are those
(After reading this ramble after I typed it, I figured I could just give you the short cut. Jump down to the video under the "*".)
Sorry, I got a little hydraulically nerdy there.o_O So let's break this down. High amplitude refers to the height of the wave created, while harmonic refers to the peak of the wave occurring repeatedly in the same place. So if you were to create a wave that is single point harmonic sloshing back and forth (like a rubber ball bouncing back and forth in the tank) it will create a pressure spike due to inertia of the water on the panes at each end of the tank. Again o_O, probably still not a very clear explanation. Let's try the old "picture worth a thousand words" approach.
In this video, at the 10 second mark, is the wave form I am referring to.

The water slams into the sides of the tank which creates a pressure surge over and over. Over time this can microscopically do damage to the seals. Now it might take a long long time for any damage to be noticed but when it does, well, it could happen all at once.:eek:
Further on in the video you can see that if you were to increase the frequency of the oscillation, instead of a single point harmonic you can create multiple point harmonics which will in turn lessen the amplitude (height) of the wave using the same energy input. DOH, there I go again.;Facepalm;Sorry
I think it is also important to know that there is a difference between flow (movement of water) and waves (pressure moving through water). This following video explains this fairly well and I should have just opened with this.

Now just for fun, let's see what the force of waves can do!;Playful

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back