Are sunburst anthias sensitive to copper?

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading mixed reports on whether I should treat my sunburst (fathead) anthias prophylactically with copper. Is this species sensitive to copper? Was thinking to use copper power, but then I read that at therapeutic dosage (2.5) this species sometimes stops eating and then starts to fade.

The fish are currently not showing no outward signs of disease and eating moderately well. Been in QT for 10 days. Dosed 1x with Prazi on Day 3. Was thinking to start copper today but would prefer to confer with the experts on this one. Would hate to kill them (especially since this is my most expensive fish purchase ever!), but would hate even more to spread disease to my favorite fish in the display.

Thanks in advance.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go slow and you should be OK.

QT strategy: Dose Metronidazole ASAP, but raise copper very slowly (4-5 days) when treating anthias. If they are eating, soak their food with metronidazole for 10-14 days. Seachem Focus can be used to bind the medication to the food. If your anthias stops eating after raising the copper level, do a water change to lower it until the fish resumes eating. Most anthias species have a high metabolism and need to be fed at least 3 times per day.

Due to their sensitivity to meds, anthias are also perfect candidates for Black Molly QT: Black Molly Quarantine

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back