Are the blue, royal blue and purple LEDs special or a mix of RGB

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

I recently purchased a reef light (Chinese black box type, the Lominie Pixie 30w) for my 5g and I have a few questions. The light itself has: 6 white, 7 blue, 8 royal blue, 1 violet, 1 red (not UV) and 1 green so the LED types are pretty good (at first glance). It also comes with 5 preprogrammed channel mixes: CH1: 6 blues, CH2: 6 whites, CH3: 3 blue, 2 royal blue, 1 violet, CH4: 1 green, 1 red, 4 white, CH5: All on. These are accessed through a remote.

The unfortunate thing is that there is no way to customize these channels other than to dim or brighten so you can't create your own mix. This is where they feature an app with an optional wireless connector that I purchased. The unfortunate thing about the app is that instead of developing their own true reef app that can tap into all of the LEDs they simply integrated with an existing app (Magic Home) that is meant to control strip lighting so when I launched the app it only gives access to RGBW. As a matter of fact I think the controller is Magic Home and not from the company that made the light. So here are my questions:
1. Is the blue LED in proper reef lighting a different blue than the blue in RGB so as to give the proper nm? The same applies to the red and green LEDs but they're used less in reef lighting regardless but are still important.
2. Further to #1, are the royal blue and violet LEDs in proper reef lighting made specifically for this as to give the proper nm or are these different intensities of blue and red?
3. If the LEDs in reef lighting aren't customized for blue, royal blue and violet is it possible to recreate these using specific RGB combinations? ex: 255,255,255 gives white and in the case of blue it 0,0,255.
4. Is dimming a light different than brightness/intensity? I never really thought of this before but what I found in the app is that let's say I want 100% blue then I set it to 0,0,255 but what I found is that it seems to be at 100% power (what they're calling brightness) so when I lower the brightness suddenly the light goes from 0,0,255 to 0,0,200 (as an example which no longer makes it the true blue). Does a proper light allow you to dim the LED but it still keeps the same nm?
5. Given the app is garbage and gives you less access to the LEDs than the preprogrammed options through the remote, which channel (noted above) would be the best to use in the short term?

If the LEDs in proper reef lighting are customized to give the proper nm specifically for blue, royal blue and violet then it's possible this light uses garbage LEDs and they are simply programmed using different combinations of RGB. I have to find this out from the manufacturer. BTW: I'm buying an AI Prime 16. LOL. The reason I'm asking is that I want to do a write-up about this light so other people don't waste their money or at least they buy it knowing the limitations.

Thanks.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Is the blue LED in proper reef lighting a different blue than the blue in RGB so as to give the proper nm? The same applies to the red and green LEDs but they're used less in reef lighting regardless but are still important.
Err.. usually yes.. Generally reef light tend to "Royal Blue" over "Regualr Blue"
Each color is defined by a range of nm's complicating the question.
Reds can generally be either "red" or "deep red".
Greens.. not important really.

2. Further to #1, are the royal blue and violet LEDs in proper reef lighting made specifically for this as to give the proper nm or are these different intensities of blue and red?
They are usually just violet ect though again nm is a range in each classification.
Violets are from 420-ish to 400nm, in general.

3. If the LEDs in reef lighting aren't customized for blue, royal blue and violet is it possible to recreate these using specific RGB combinations? ex: 255,255,255 gives white and in the case of blue it 0,0,255.
No..
The color royal blue (dark) with hexadecimal color code #002366 is a dark shade of cyan-blue. In the RGB color model #002366 is comprised of 0% red, 13.73% green and 40% blue. In the HSL color space #002366 has a hue of 219° (degrees), 100% saturation and 20% lightness. This color has an approximate wavelength of 470.14 nm.
Royal blue in LED is 440 to 450..
4. Is dimming a light different than brightness/intensity? I never really thought of this before but what I found in the app is that let's say I want 100% blue then I set it to 0,0,255 but what I found is that it seems to be at 100% power (what they're calling brightness) so when I lower the brightness suddenly the light goes from 0,0,255 to 0,0,200 (as an example which no longer makes it the true blue). Does a proper light allow you to dim the LED but it still keeps the same nm?
Shift is meaningless.. nm remains the same.
As I understand it it's just the amount of black or white.
I could be wrong

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Err.. usually yes.. Generally reef light tend to "Royal Blue" over "Regualr Blue"
Each color is defined by a range of nm's complicating the question.
Reds can generally be either "red" or "deep red".
Greens.. not important really.

They are usually just violet ect though again nm is a range in each classification.
Violets are from 420-ish to 400nm, in general.

No..

Royal blue in LED is 440 to 450..

Shift is meaningless.. nm remains the same.
As I understand it it's just the amount of black or white.
I could be wrong
Thanks for this! The specs of the light I have feature blue, royal blue and violet (as well as red, white and green) so I hope they are the true reef LEDs. Having said that even if they are the proper nm then the app they integrated with is totally useless because it doesn't provide access to those three critical LEDs yet they feature the app as giving you more control. Totally lame. I guess the joke is on me. Haha. I would be better off using their preprogrammed channels.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! The specs of the light I have feature blue, royal blue and violet (as well as red, white and green) so I hope they are the true reef LEDs. Having said that even if they are the proper nm then the app they integrated with is totally useless because it doesn't provide access to those three critical LEDs yet they feature the app as giving you more control. Totally lame. I guess the joke is on me. Haha. I would be better off using their preprogrammed channels.

Yea I scratch my head on some of these company channel layouts.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea I scratch my head on some of these company channel layouts.

Ya, it's too bad because this probably could be a decent light for small tanks had they developed a true reef app for it and maybe done a bit more research in combining lights for their preprogrammed channels. A couple more channels that use the white light with the blues would be great. Wouldn't even need the feeble app!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back