Are the heat packs we use for shipping actually pointless? Is there a better solution?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was researching coral shipping and temperatures and so on and came across this older thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/heat-pack-study.96954/

It seems to be the only one I've seen with data on temperatures over several hours in the cold simulating shipping. I would love to see any and all data on this that you are aware of. Maybe I will conduct my own tests as well, but I don't have a temperature logger.

The conclusion I've drawn from the (admittedly limited) data and also the posts by others, is that typical heat packs are at best useless and at worst harmful during shipping for corals. In summary, the heat packs can't get enough oxygen after the initial supply is exhausted, so they don't actually have any effect after the first hour or so. The difference in temperature at the end of the tests results from a spike at the beginning for the tests with heat packs (which is more likely to kill your corals than slowly declining temps during overnight shipping) and multiple heat packs don't make any difference at all compared to single ones. If you were going to use a heat pack, it seems you are better off just running your frag tank hotter. After the initial spike, the temperature curve is indistinguishable between heat pack and no heat pack. Another poster claims to have run similar tests even with ventilation holes to keep the heat packs running, and found that this made little to no difference. This post doesn't come with data, but the assertions are backed by equations too.

I haven't seen any other studies or data on the topic, and although it seems intuitive that we need some way to keep our corals warm in transit, I am not sure this is the case. I have received plenty of cold (like 40s and 50s) coral packages and never lost any. Often customers find an apparently "still warm" heat pack and assume this means the coral was packed well. In reality, the heat pack likely started to heat up when they opened the package. There are plenty of anecdotes, and heat packs are an industry standard. But like many other things in hobby-based industries, industry standard methods can result from somebody smart saying something intuitive and then everyone doing that because it makes sense. The idea that heat packs keep the package warm is a comforting thought because it gives us a sense of control.

Now, we know corals will do better under warmer temperatures (although again I believe they are more resilient to short term cold than most assume), and it seems our conventional heating solutions are pretty ineffective. Are there alternatives? What about tiny electronic heating units? There are also gel-based handwarmers that are reusable. Is there any good way to store heat? I know water volume is good for this, but perhaps there are even better materials.

It's possible we don't really need heatpacks at all, and that focusing on well-sealed insulation is far more important than any sort of heat generation. What are your thoughts? Have you done any testing?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know is I usually don't order plants or aquarium livestock Nov to late March/early April. But I ordered some stuff overnighted from Reef Cleaners a couple weeks ago -- when I picked up the box, the entire box felt warm; and when I opened it, the heat pack was toasty. Everything arrived alive and happy.

OP
OP
damsels are not mean

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heat packs work. period
Do they? The only data I have seen on this suggests no they do not. There just isn't enough oxygen to feed them when they are in a box. Even with ventilation.
Easy test. Put two insulated boxes outside overnight, one with a heat pack, one without. You will find the one with the heat pack is warmer in the morning.
I do put a hole in the top of the insulation and tape the warmer over it.
Again, this does not really work as a test. The one with the heatpack will be hotter, but that's because the heat pack starts the box off hotter. It is like packing a coral at 85 and then comparing that to a box that is packed at 75. One needs to log the temperature over the course of the test to understand what's actually happening. A quick jump up to 85 is worse than a slow decline to 60, maybe even 50.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure heat packs require oxygen. Maybe some do but some, such as phase change materials, certainly don't. I think a good choice would be these PCMs that maintain 72 F. They might not be the best performers in the winter though when only heating is required though.

I do have a few styrofoam shippers (both cheap Amazon ones and some ultrathick high performance ones) and many temperature loggers. So I can add this to my list of experiments to do but haven't gotten around to yet. I just need the heat packs/PCMs and colder winter weather.

I also have a FLIR so I can visualize where the heat loss is occurring. I don't think the practice of cutting up styrofoam sheet and lining a box will work that well due to all the gaps.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do put a hole in the top of the insulation and tape the warmer over it.

I've had a few corals shipped this way. I found it odd as the top of the foam was warm, but the interior was ice cold. Needless to say the corals were dead, but hey, the top of the box was warm. lol

OP
OP
damsels are not mean

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to be assuming that boxes are air-tight
The amount of oxygen that is needed to get any real heat out of these is too much for any packing method, it seems. They really hog all available oxygen and you'd need some very breathable packing methods to change that. Problem is, breathable means not insulated.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, this does not really work as a test. The one with the heatpack will be hotter, but that's because the heat pack starts the box off hotter. It is like packing a coral at 85 and then comparing that to a box that is packed at 75. One needs to log the temperature over the course of the test to understand what's actually happening. A quick jump up to 85 is worse than a slow decline to 60, maybe even 50.

I disagree. If the air temp in my box quickly heats up to 85 it may result in a slow increase in water temp. Long before the water gets to 85 we are probably going to be seeing the slow decline in temps.

As for whether they help put me in as a firm believer that they do. The coldest water I get in the winter is usually when the corals are not well packaged and the heat pack gets soaked with water

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of oxygen that is needed to get any real heat out of these is too much for any packing method, it seems. They really hog all available oxygen and you'd need some very breathable packing methods to change that. Problem is, breathable means not insulated.
Insulated and air tight aren't the same thing

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe anecdotal, but I buy 99% of my coral online. Any insulated box I have received that had a heat pack in it, is usually still warm the next day(overnight shipping).

If the heat packs needed oxygen to heat, and your claiming none can get into the box, then how are they still hot some hours later?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe anecdotal, but I buy 99% of my coral online. Any insulated box I have received that had a heat pack in it, is usually still warm the next day(overnight shipping).

If the heat packs needed oxygen to heat, and your claiming none can get into the box, then how are they still hot some hours later?
I think they're trying to say that opening the box instantly heats the packs up :rolleyes: This has to be a troll lol

OP
OP
damsels are not mean

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You found one thread on R2R about them not working, but they've been used for decades. If they really didn't do anything, vendors wouldn't waste their money on heatpacks
Like I said. It seems intuitive. And rudimentary tests show they seem to work! I want to see more data on this. But that thread is so far all I have to go off of. Many things happen for decades that aren't backed by science. Heatpacks are cheap and they make both the seller and buyer feel more comfortable even if the coral doesn't notice a difference... it is really not farfetched to think people do things that make sense without questioning them too hard. Think of how many controversial and completely different methods people have for keeping pets, all of which seem to work most of the time.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said. It seems intuitive. And rudimentary tests show they seem to work! I want to see more data on this. But that thread is so far all I have to go off of. Many things happen for decades that aren't backed by science. Heatpacks are cheap and they make both the seller and buyer feel more comfortable even if the coral doesn't notice a difference... it is really not farfetched to think people do things that make sense without questioning them too hard. Think of how many controversial and completely different methods people have for keeping pets, all of which seem to work most of the time.
You're assuming a lot, and have nothing but a R2R thread to back that up. Do some testing yourself and report back, we'd all love to hear the results!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Science is great, but so is experience. Personally I find the premise incorrect. I have shipped reptiles in the winter with heath packs (it is commonly done). They are packed very similar to our coral/fish just obviously without the water. If the heatpacks were that good at depleting all the oxygen then certainly these reptiles that require oxygen to live would be suffocating?

So I agree the commonly used heatpacks do use oxygen. I disagree that it just leads to a sudden massive depletion of oxygen and the heatpack stops working soon after being boxed up.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few corals shipped this way. I found it odd as the top of the foam was warm, but the interior was ice cold. Needless to say the corals were dead, but hey, the top of the box was warm. lol
I don't get the taping it to the top, honestly. I understand you don't want to roast the livestock, but I feel like wrapping it up and putting it in w/the livestock bags would better keep the whole box warm.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get the taping it to the top, honestly. I understand you don't want to roast the livestock, but I feel like wrapping it up and putting it in w/the livestock bags would better keep the whole box warm.
I believe they're taped to the top because if they get wet they no longer work

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they're taped to the top because if they get wet they no longer work
Taped to the top of the inside I can see. I was addressing the tape it to the top on the outside with a hole in the top of the insulation.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back