Are the new BRS Heaters and Controllers the Best of 2019? We think so!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that some time has past and many other people are having the same problem I'm giving up on this controller.
As an added note I just went through the BRS reviews and noticed mine is gone now.
You can draw your own conclusion as to why.
I feel BRS has contributed significantly to the reefing community but this heater controller doesn't live up to it's specs or even close.

They removed your review? I'm assuming it was critical based on this post, but not inappropriate to where it warrants removal. That kinda rubs me the wrong way. Did you ask them why it was taken down?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that some time has past and many other people are having the same problem I'm giving up on this controller.
As an added note I just went through the BRS reviews and noticed mine is gone now.
You can draw your own conclusion as to why.
I feel BRS has contributed significantly to the reefing community but this heater controller doesn't live up to it's specs or even close.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with the controller. We very rarely remove reviews and when we do, it's almost always at the customer's request. If you wouldn't mind sending us a PM with the "nickname" that you used to write your review, I should be able to dig into this for you.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to try the new titanium heater out...might be needing one soon.
@randyBRS do you know when the 300w combo will be available? Oh and love watching and learning from you and @Ryanbrs . My wife and I are big fans, just north of you in Canada

CoralFan1776

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with the controller. We very rarely remove reviews and when we do, it's almost always at the customer's request. If you wouldn't mind sending us a PM with the "nickname" that you used to write your review, I should be able to dig into this for you.
They removed your review? I'm assuming it was critical based on this post, but not inappropriate to where it warrants removal. That kinda rubs me the wrong way. Did you ask them why it was taken down?
I just looked again a minute ago and it isn't there.
BRS did request a PM with my info to look into it so maybe it really wasn't removed on purpose.
It was critical although mostly because it doesn't meet it's specs and doesn't really hold a tighter temperature swing than any other controller. For most people that are good with a 1-2 degree swing it is fine.

CoralFan1776

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM'd...

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did request a PM with my info to look into it so maybe it really wasn't removed on purpose.
It was critical although mostly because it doesn't meet it's specs and doesn't really hold a tighter temperature swing than any other controller. For most people that are good with a 1-2 degree swing it is fine.

I wonder if the quoted temp tolerance is degrees C, not degrees F. I use an Inkbird to control my daughter's hedgehog heater, and their manual states that switching to F will result in larger swings. A change of 1 F equals a change of 0.56 C. So a 0.3C tolerance could possibly result in a 1-2F error, depending on the accuracy of the sensor, etc.

CoralFan1776

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the quoted temp tolerance is degrees C, not degrees F. I use an Inkbird to control my daughter's hedgehog heater, and their manual states that switching to F will result in larger swings. A change of 1 F equals a change of 0.56 C. So a 0.3C tolerance could possibly result in a 1-2F error, depending on the accuracy of the sensor, etc.
Yeah Brew12 suggested the .3C piece as well which is fine but if you do the math for the difference at 77F the difference is pretty small and the error still much larger than that.

Also BRS looked at the review and did some kind of refresh that makes it display now. The person said they didn't really know why it wasn't showing but the refresh fixed.
I confirmed it is there now. I'm glad to see this and that they took care of it promptly.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at BRS' web site, there are plenty of critical reviews of the controller, so it wouldn't make sense to delete your review but leave others up if they were doing it to avoid bad reviews.

I would like to try the new titanium heater out...might be needing one soon.
The general reviews of the BRS heaters themselves have been positive. The controller - not so much..

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can answer that, and it is that you shouldn't expect to see them. These are made in Germany and only the plug is modified for the US market. Since our voltage is 1/2 of Europeans voltage the heaters put out half the power. Watts=Current x Voltage x Power Factor.
So, the 600W heater they offer would be a 1200W heater in Germany. A 1000W heater here would be 2000W and that isn't practical for most hobbyists. This is a disadvantage from some aspects, but they should last much longer because they are only running at half the designed heat output.
So can I use these on 220v outlets? It follows that I would need to buy the 300w US version but on 220v would get 600watt output correct?

Sablah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one a week ago. The controller won't turn on both outlets and it won't detect decreases in temperature, only increases. In order to get it to detect a lower temperature I have to unplug it and plug it back in. It detects rises in temperature fine, so it turns the heater off, but it won't turn it on because it will never detect a lower temperature than it has read since last power cycle. It seems these controllers have continually worked about half the time for people based on reviews.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can I use these on 220v outlets? It follows that I would need to buy the 300w US version but on 220v would get 600watt output correct?
I couldn't say for sure. If the only thing modified is the plug, then yes. If the entire cord is modified from the 220V version than maybe not.
I suspect it would work, but I cannot confidently say it will.

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that the main selling point of BRS model over the Inkbird 306A is the replaceable probe and high temp warning.

However, the 306A has two probes which sound an alarm if the temp differential between the two is more than 2-3 degrees. In principle isnt this providing the same safety feature as BRS model? Either way, if one probe fails and the temp rises past the setting, the good probe will go off.

Anyone have experience with 306A? Does it have the same control issues as the BRS model or is it a more stable thermostat?

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I feel kind of bait and switched here. I picked up one of the BRS setups on the current sale.

One of these is a cheap Chinese Hygger heater the other is the "best heater of 2019".

Screenshot_20200825-220526.jpg

Guess which is which?

BRS shouldn't be unloading them if they are crap. Wish I found this thread last week.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Yevoc, sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the heater. If you reach out to our customer service team, they'll be able to help with some troubleshooting. If that doesn't help, we can always offer a solution in terms of a refund or replacement. I like to think we're reasonable people around here, so I have no doubt our CS team can help with a resolution that works for you.

BRS Customer Service
Phone: 763-432-9691
Email: [email protected]
Live Chat: BulkReefSupply.com

hartin461

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the 300 watt unit and controller from brs that was on sale and find it works well. Checked against my Hanna probe and was spot on. Thought I’d give at least a positive note as they say you never hear about all the good ones..sorry to hear about the ones that are not up to snuff but mine makes the grade.

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the 300 watt unit and controller from brs that was on sale and find it works well. Checked against my Hanna probe and was spot on. Thought I’d give at least a positive note as they say you never hear about all the good ones..sorry to hear about the ones that are not up to snuff but mine makes the grade.

I have 2 of these controllers and I would say they work well enough. It it the best, no. The best was a reefkeeper, but not really an option anymore. I have found them to be reliable, easy to program and calibrate. Are the temp swings higher than I would like them to be? Probably, but does it really matter? So you can add my review to the positive column.

jamesrb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having issues with my BRS Heater Controller as well.. the temperature fluctuates +/- 5 degrees during the day. Its a good thing I have my apex monitoring the actual temp or my fish and corals would be dead by now!

I contacted BRS Customer support via email last week and am still waiting to hear back from them.....

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having issues with my BRS Heater Controller as well.. the temperature fluctuates +/- 5 degrees during the day. Its a good thing I have my apex monitoring the actual temp or my fish and corals would be dead by now!

I contacted BRS Customer support via email last week and am still waiting to hear back from them.....

Can you send over a PM with your email address? Our customer service team doesn't have any lingering emails from last week, so I'd like to look into this.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back