Are there any aquarium manufacturers or engineers that can give input on tank repair?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not asking for you to sign a deposition stating that whatever approach won't result in failure/rupture down the road but looking for educated input.

I.e. I'm not looking for suppositions from arm chair opnionists.

Tank is a waterbox 7225 and has this damage. I've been told one approach would be to use low viscosity epoxy to reinforce the chip and then reinforce the corner bead with a square glass rod. I've also been told it needs the entire pane replaced.

So far I can't seem to find any aquarium builders in the DC/Maryland/VA area to ask. I am hesitant to reach out to "just a regular glass shop" as I don't know if they'll have a good grasp on the forces involved.

Thank you in advance.
received_1102051353930304.jpeg
received_518602746142705.jpeg
received_520714165906329.jpeg

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if he could offer any insights, but worth asking @Joe Glass Cages.
@Peace River this is a tough one.

@chaostactics ouch! so sorry to see this. very hard to give a solid suggestion with a few pictures. If you wanna FaceTime or something similar, let me know.

here are some questions:
1, is the crack only on the exterior?
2, does the crack run along any part of the seam?
3, has the crack stopped?
4, does it look like the crack can continue to run?
5, how do you feel about it? can you handle a repair and have a peace of mind about it?

So, most likely it can be repaired. will look sightly though. Then the next question is, how do you feel? typically need to deal with 2 things in a situation like this, the tank situation and whats between our ears.

Not sure if that helps, this is a start. let me know if you wanna chat about it.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Peace River this is a tough one.

@chaostactics ouch! so sorry to see this. very hard to give a solid suggestion with a few pictures. If you wanna FaceTime or something similar, let me know.

here are some questions:
1, is the crack only on the exterior?
2, does the crack run along any part of the seam?
3, has the crack stopped?
4, does it look like the crack can continue to run?
5, how do you feel about it? can you handle a repair and have a peace of mind about it?

So, most likely it can be repaired. will look sightly though. Then the next question is, how do you feel? typically need to deal with 2 things in a situation like this, the tank situation and whats between our ears.

Not sure if that helps, this is a start. let me know if you wanna chat about it.
@Joe Glass Cages hey man thank you so much for checking in and helping give info to a hobbiest even though it's not even your brand. That is seriously outstanding of you!

1. Yes 2. It touches the seam slightly
3. Yes 4. I don't think so. Looks more like a chip and it's behind the silicone. 5. I think so. I talked to a glassier near where I am currently who builds tanks (but is 1000s of miles from where the tank will be) and he mentioned the following)

Screenshot_20220206-140948_Messenger.jpg

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a hairline fracture in the final photo clear to the silicone, If it were me I’d replace the pane. I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night just patching it up

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages hey man thank you so much for checking in and helping give info to a hobbiest even though it's not even your brand. That is seriously outstanding of you!

1. Yes 2. It touches the seam slightly
3. Yes 4. I don't think so. Looks more like a chip and it's behind the silicone. 5. I think so. I talked to a glassier near where I am currently who builds tanks (but is 1000s of miles from where the tank will be) and he mentioned the following)

Screenshot_20220206-140948_Messenger.jpg
@chaostactics

thats great feedback there. I completely agree.

will work most likely. just might not look the best.

Let me know if I can help anymore. sounds like you are on the right path. Awesome

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is expensive when special ordered. The labor to remove and reglaze plus the not sleeping at night after seems like too much to me. They also use adhesives other than silicone for glazing. My powerheads cost more than my tank. The tank is the cheapest part of this hobby. I would sell it off for whatever you can get and just replace it.

Facebook marketplace always has tanks in it.

UK softy bloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not asking for you to sign a deposition stating that whatever approach won't result in failure/rupture down the road but looking for educated input.

I.e. I'm not looking for suppositions from arm chair opnionists.

Tank is a waterbox 7225 and has this damage. I've been told one approach would be to use low viscosity epoxy to reinforce the chip and then reinforce the corner bead with a square glass rod. I've also been told it needs the entire pane replaced.

So far I can't seem to find any aquarium builders in the DC/Maryland/VA area to ask. I am hesitant to reach out to "just a regular glass shop" as I don't know if they'll have a good grasp on the forces involved.

Thank you in advance.
received_1102051353930304.jpeg
received_518602746142705.jpeg
received_520714165906329.jpeg
Just replace the tank, you will be able to sleep peacefully then.

Canadianreefmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had many tanks like this over the years and had many clients with tanks like this over the years. I find that it's best to just start new and get a new tank and not risk having a tank break or losing animals. Dealing with insurance due to broken tanks is not fun and often not covered and animal loss is not covered . It's better to just get a new tank and be safe rather than muck around Possibly risk killing fish or losing a tank in the future. That's just my opinion on tank safety and not having to deal with broken tanks or leaks.

Hope it all goes well!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back