Are There Any Aquarium Related Jobs That Pay Well?

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any aquarium related jobs that pay well? Just curious as most of them don't pay very well

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess there isn't any options that can pay well sadly. Even if I'm not planning on opening a LFS, I would really like to know how they got it setup, their thought process, how well they live outside of their job, and their everyday routines. I wonder if that exists somewhere. Also why is working in an aquarium or zoo so competitive if it pays like nothing?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Become Jason Fox version 2.0

...but you must have a cool rememberable marketable MANLY MAN name like Colt Smyth Corals. or smgth like that.. Not like Herbert Schinavitzberg

Last edited:

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Become Jason Fox version 2.0

...but you must have a cool rememberable marketable MANLY MAN name like Colt Smyth Corals. or smgth like that.. Not like Herbert Schinavitzberg
Fair but not fair at the same time... He does really well at marketing and there is nothing wrong with that. He knows his SEO and how to make a pretty site that is attractive. But ya.. would agree with you there :p

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair but not fair at the same time... He does really well at marketing and there is nothing wrong with that. He knows his SEO and how to make a pretty site that is attractive. But ya.. would agree with you there :p
You gotta give him props

He was the first one to come out with "Mercedes pricing" and not blink an eye.

I was once at a fragswap 10, 15 yrs ago and he had a booth and a tank full of coral and a Neon colored pointing stick that glowed in actnic lighting. everything he pointed at was no less than $300

He mastered the thinking: value is perceived by how exclusive you make it

If you convince ppl a glass of Sprite is a glass of Dom Perignon.... then there you go

Last edited:

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason they are so competitive is that the people who go for them are in love with the critters. Pay isn't quite as important. So there is very little turnover. Most are lifers. Occasionally they get the odd quitter. The job isn't as romantic and playful as they thought, so they move on. And there is usually a waiting list to fill that open position.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason they are so competitive is that the people who go for them are in love with the critters. Pay isn't quite as important. So there is very little turnover. Most are lifers. Occasionally they get the odd quitter. The job isn't as romantic and playful as they thought, so they move on. And there is usually a waiting list to fill that open position.
I'll have to say turnover is pretty crazy in most zoos and aquariums. They attract young kids to work, burn em out, and replace them with new fresh faces that fall for the same trick.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a link to average wages for Aquaculture jobs. considering we just hired a new employee and she is around $17 an hour after probation period. https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Aquaculture-Technician-Salary

Considering you generally need similar schooling that the medical profession goes through for a Bachelor of Science to get an entry level fish job....if you are smart enough for advanced schooling....there is probably more money and jobs in the medical or biotech field.

SillyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible to aquaculture and make money but you better live the home lifestyle, traveling is hard.

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to say turnover is pretty crazy in most zoos and aquariums. They attract young kids to work, burn em out, and replace them with new fresh faces that fall for the same trick.

Wow. It's not like that here. With our zoo it's crazy hard to even get an internship. And they give preference to people that go to a certain college. Went down this rabbit hole with my daughter. BS in Animal Behavior. She went to the college but then decided to move to the coast with a bunch of friends. I love my daughter heart and soul, but Mother was not happy. ;Sour

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back