Are there any clean up crew vendors we trust enough not to quarantine?

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved my fish into my new tank after running it 76 days with only live rock and corals. I didn't, but should have, introduced the clean up crew at the start of the fallow period.

So...are there any vendors, like Reef Cleaners, that we know well enough and trust that run fishless systems and keep the critters fallow long enough (or captive breed) to not have tomonts enter my tank through the CUC?

I really don't want at this point to throw a clean up crew in a quarantine tank for 3 months.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved my fish into my new tank after running it 76 days with only live rock and corals. I didn't, but should have, introduced the clean up crew at the start of the fallow period.

So...are there any vendors, like Reef Cleaners, that we know well enough and trust that run fishless systems and keep the critters fallow long enough (or captive breed) to not have tomonts enter my tank through the CUC?
My first instinct is no. I guess if I were to gamble I would think getting directly from ORA through LiveAquaria would be the place to start. My only hope for this would be if there systems don't contain fish but again I have to reason to assume this.

Urchins are supposedly fine if they are rinsed really well.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always worried about this as well. I contacted Reef Cleaners and they do not keep their snails and inverts with fish. But unfortunately, I doubt they or anyone else keep them separate for 76 days or more. To be on the safe side I would still QT

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if they keep them close enough to a tank with fish there still would be a risk of transmission through aerosol. Wet hands when bagging, etc.

OP
OP
G

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did talk with Algae Barn and got comfortable buying from them would be ok, but they don’t sell full packages and their prices are way out of line compared to the other vendors.

Are snails wild caught or bred in captivity?

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfish are able to be rinsed off with tank water and not carry ich or other fish pathogens to your DT, but it is up to you if the risk is worth the trade off.

OP
OP
G

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know where their critters come from though? I would think if they were pulled out of the ocean the week before they ship to me that sitting in a fishless system doesn’t mean much. If they multiply in their tanks though that should mean they’re safe.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know where their critters come from though? I would think if they were pulled out of the ocean the week before they ship to me that sitting in a fishless system doesn’t mean much. If they multiply in their tanks though that should mean they’re safe.
That i'm not sure. I can send John an email and find out, i'll also tag them in this thread to see if they can clarify @reefcleaners

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Based on their location in Fl, I think wild caught from the area.

I've bought from IPSF multiple times with no issues.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mostly concerned with pest algae and other things like vermetid snails, aiptasia, etc. attached to my clean up crew. Simply asking if the CUC are housed without fish isn't sufficient IMO. I generally scrape and scrub the shells with peroxide to clean this stuff.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right - as long as there are no fish or coral - there should be nothing to quarantine for I have never quarantined - and never had a problem

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - as long as there are no fish or coral - there should be nothing to quarantine for I have never quarantined - and never had a problem

Looks like you have or had a little Bryopsis problem in your tank. How do you know this didn't come in on your clean up crew...?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mostly concerned with pest algae and other things like vermetid snails, aiptasia, etc. attached to my clean up crew. Simply asking if the CUC are housed without fish isn't sufficient IMO. I generally scrape and scrub the shells with peroxide to clean this stuff.
Those are easy to see problems. Ich on the otherhand is not.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, which one?? Every store I've been to in SoCal is packed with diseased fish and coral tanks full of pests....
Seaside in Huntington Beach. I have been buying all my livestock, cuc, fish and most corals from them for the last 30+ years and have not quarantined anything in that time and have not had any disease to deal with. Just added some snail and corals last week as my triggers over the last year had brought there numbers down and got home and just floated the cuc till the lights went off then just dumped them in.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back