Are there any clean up crew vendors we trust enough not to quarantine?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can watch the algae literally melt, never to return, when treating with peroxide... could an alien have teleported down and sapped it while I wasnt looking? I guess it's possible. Is it probable? No

Sorry my question wasn't clear - Im sure that H2O2 kills bryopsis - the question was how are you sure that the H2O2 is not damaging the thing you're dipping as well (ie. your CUC)

PS - I also asked what you did before you dipped in H2O2 - ie what did you use to use

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, wonky incentives. The real question is how do you change this, and change it in a way that doesn't generate unintended consequences that are even worse. My guess is there will have to be a change in culture. It takes lots of time though. (As a business strategy it makes perfect sense, why assume a bunch of risk when you don't have to?)

The problem is nobody with influence (private sector) cares about fixing these problems. Because it would mean having to bite the hand that feeds them. Eventually govt. regulation will rein a lot of it in, but that's not the ideal solution. It is, apparently, how they fixed the problem in much of Europe.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is nobody with influence (private sector) cares about fixing these problems. Because it would mean having to bite the hand that feeds them. Eventually govt. regulation will rein a lot of it in, but that's not the ideal solution. It is, apparently, how they fixed the problem in much of Europe.
I don't know if it's a matter of people (owners of companies etc) in the private sector not caring. It's simple if the incentives aren't there for them to care they literally can't care. If they do care and act on it they probably won't survive or won't be nearly as successful as their competitors who don't care. People tend to make this kind of thing personal, it isn't, the public has to demand with their dollars that companies operate differently. If the public does this companies will act differently, no moral virtue required. This could be achieved via government regulation or organically, but the public has to care about it first and either put pressure on politicians via votes or companies via dollars. Personally I hope it's the latter, because then change comes from people that have a stake in and care about our hobby, the other way is going to be from the outside, and who knows what will happen then.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if it's a matter of people (owners of companies etc) in the private sector not caring. It's simple if the incentives aren't there for them to care they literally can't care. If they do care and act on it they probably won't survive or won't be nearly as successful as their competitors who don't care. People tend to make this kind of thing personal, it isn't, the public has to demand with their dollars that companies operate differently. If the public does this companies will act differently, no moral virtue required. This could be achieved via government regulation or organically, but the public has to care about it first and either put pressure on politicians via votes or companies via dollars. Personally I hope it's the latter, because then change comes from people that have a stake in and care about our hobby, the other way is going to be from the outside, and who knows what will happen then.
IMO - no one knows what 'government regulation' will do. First states can make regulations that other states will not hold to (i.e. CA) second it may take years for the federal government to actually agree to do something. So - I think it depends to a great deal on where one lives.

I will just say - if regulations come down on 'hobbyists' - people will quickly give up the 'hobby'. And there are many organizations that say - even keeping ocean fish in a 'glass box' is 'immoral' and should be 'illegal'. Just like there are many people who say dog breeding should be illegal - in favor of 'rescues' - (some or many of whom) are gaming the system.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - no one knows what 'government regulation' will do. First states can make regulations that other states will not hold to (i.e. CA) second it may take years for the federal government to actually agree to do something. So - I think it depends to a great deal on where one lives.

I will just say - if regulations come down on 'hobbyists' - people will quickly give up the 'hobby'. And there are many organizations that say - even keeping ocean fish in a 'glass box' is 'immoral' and should be 'illegal'. Just like there are many people who say dog breeding should be illegal - in favor of 'rescues' - (some or many of whom) are gaming the system.
Yep, some of these are some of the things I was eluding to when I mentioned people outside the hobby, and why I'd rather see change driven by hobbyists.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know many hobbyists who care about this issue, but don't know how to effect change. There are so few ethical livestock vendors, and let's face it we all need to get our "fix". ;) I know a couple of hobbyists who are now selling/shipping QT fish, but they can only put a dent in the problem. I think eventually government regulation will fix this mess (albeit the hard way). It was just my hope that for once we could put greed aside and police ourselves from within.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know many hobbyists who care about this issue, but don't know how to effect change. There are so few ethical livestock vendors, and let's face it we all need to get our "fix". ;) I know a couple of hobbyists who are now selling/shipping QT fish, but they can only put a dent in the problem. I think eventually government regulation will fix this mess (albeit the hard way). It was just my hope that for once we could put greed aside and police ourselves from within.

I just visited my LFS - they have a separate quarantine room - they treat all of their fish for 2 weeks minimum with kanamycin and metroplex. If any show symptoms of CI or Velvet - they treat for a full treatment of copper. They do not use low-dose copper in their tanks. I toured their area yesterday - was quite nice. Have never had a diseased fish from their store. They also will take requests for fish - order them - and treat them as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just visited my LFS - they have a separate quarantine room - they treat all of their fish for 2 weeks minimum with kanamycin and metroplex. If any show symptoms of CI or Velvet - they treat for a full treatment of copper. They do not use low-dose copper in their tanks. I toured their area yesterday - was quite nice. Have never had a diseased fish from their store. They also will take requests for fish - order them - and treat them as well.

That's awesome! Do they ship? I'm trying to get more LFS that I advise and who QT to ship. To put pressure on these online vendors who just drop ship from wholesalers (no QT).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's awesome! Do they ship? I'm trying to get more LFS that I advise and who QT to ship. To put pressure on these online vendors who just drop ship from wholesalers (no QT).
I will check and let you know by PM

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd also like to know. I'm willing to pay extra to stores that take pride, like your lfs seems too.

I PM's Humble with the information - Im not sure a store wants 5000 orders tomorrow I will let him research and post back

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a little off topic, but im canadian and im wondering how some places can sell huge reef cleaner packs of like 25 hermits, 10 snails and a conch for 60$ while so many others want 3-5$ a snail, a hermit for 8$ and a conch alone is 25$... rough times for me lol

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a little off topic, but im canadian and im wondering how some places can sell huge reef cleaner packs of like 25 hermits, 10 snails and a conch for 60$ while so many others want 3-5$ a snail, a hermit for 8$ and a conch alone is 25$... rough times for me lol

Here in the US, most CUC are collected in Florida and shipped direct to consumers. Imported species (e.g. Super Tongan Nassarius Snails and other Indo-Pacific CUC) are typically much more expensive.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I will agree - there is no way to QT against bryopsis. No one knows how long the spores from them last.

Well you can kind of qt by running fluk in the frag tank. I've started to do that in mine as well as hydrogen peroxide dip entering qt and exiting into display.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in the US, most CUC are collected in Florida and shipped direct to consumers. Imported species (e.g. Super Tongan Nassarius Snails and other Indo-Pacific CUC) are typically much more expensive.

Worth it though.

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most MB experiment on food fish which are sourced directly from collectors. That's where the money is, doing research that will benefit the aquafarming industry. I do know of one wholesaler who specializes in fish for public aquaria, zoos, research institutions. But unless directed otherwise, those fish are all treated prophylactically before being shipped out.

If the majority of people on this site who do not QT don't have any problems, then how did the fish disease forum ever gain traction in the first place? When I first started it, most questions revolved around fish dying from some disease in a DT and what to do about that. Lately the focus has shifted to fish dying in QT because it's pretty well laid out on here what to do if your DT has Ich, velvet, etc. I can tell you from less informed communities (i.e. my local FB groups), half the questions seem to be about Ich or velvet in someone's reef tank. Very few of these people QT, or believe in QT, so the main LFS around here can move 40 boxes of fish per week. Business is good! :rolleyes:

I am intimately familiar with one major public aquarium's QT program, but will not disclose their name to protect their privacy. They have a separate facility dedicated to QTing all new fish. NOTHING enters their display tanks without first going through a pretty harsh battery of meds: Copper, formalin, prazi, metro and Enrofloxacin (an ABX). Most of the fish do fine, and some specimens are 10+ years old now. So, I get a chuckle when I read people worrying over the use of copper or some General Cure in food. Or how a fish's immune system is supposedly permanently damaged after being exposed to meds. Bottom line is some fish are weak and/or just not meant for life in captivity. Those fish are probably going to die, whether you QT them or not. The only question is whether you are willing to allow whatever pathogen(s) they might be carrying to enter your DT. If your existing fish have strong immune systems and/or resistance to said pathogens, they might be OK. However, it really is a crapshoot because you can never be certain of the virulence or sheer number of parasites (for example) riding in on this fish.

I know people think I am against those who are against QT. But I am actually working on a 30 minute H2O2 bath treatment which should at the very least knock off "surface" parasites & worms. It will give those who wish to QT a better starting point; for those who plop & drop, it should keep the worst parasites out of your DT. Win-win the way I see it. :)
I recently went to a local reef club meeting and met a guy who said, "I never QT and never will. If it dies, it dies, I'll just get another one." Those comments made me sick. Regardless of thier level of conciencess, fish, corals, and inverts are living things.

If there were any other way to proactively care for our pets, we would happy oblige. That's unless you simply just don't care like the guy mentioned above. Those who practice QT realize that copper is our penicillin right now. Our wonder drug.

I found this thread because I have a hundred or so snails in QT right now. I've read here that 6 weeks is acceptable and long as 76 days.... without any other water parameter info I'll have to stay with 76 days. Or is it shorter with hypo/hyper salinity, or certain temps?

2nd to diseases, I'll do anything to keep aptasia out of my DT, as I'm trying to maintain a "no claw" policy.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back