Are there any fish you would never buy online?

The District Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When looking to add a new fish to your reef, the ideal scenario is that you see the one you want at the LFS. It's gone through QT, looks healthy and readily eats flakes, pellets, frozen, etc. All the other tanks at the store look healthy - or at least, there are no visible signs of disease - and it's sold at a competitive price. However, it's rare that you can check all these boxes, and sometimes it's simply hard to find the exact specimen you're looking for.

While my LFS is willing to place an order for me, the fish/invert generally must be picked up the same day it arrives, and it's usually still in the bag that it was shipped in. While in some cases, this would save me a few dollars on shipping, the price of the fish is usually higher than I can find online, I have to go pick it up upon arrival, it sits in the bag longer than if it was delivered directly to my home, it hasn't been quarantined, and there's no guarantee that it's healthy and eating.

Saying that, unless the ideal scenario presents itself, I prefer to just order online.

That got me to thinking: Are there any fish you would never order from an online vendor and that you should really see in person before buying?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When looking to add a new fish to your reef, the ideal scenario is that you see the one you want at the LFS. It's gone through QT, looks healthy and readily eats flakes, pellets, frozen, etc. All the other tanks at the store look healthy - or at least, there are no visible signs of disease - and it's sold at a competitive price. However, it's rare that you can check all these boxes, and sometimes it's simply hard to find the exact specimen you're looking for.

While my LFS is willing to place an order for me, the fish/invert generally must be picked up the same day it arrives, and it's usually still in the bag that it was shipped in. While in some cases, this would save me a few dollars on shipping, the price of the fish is usually higher than I can find online, I have to go pick it up upon arrival, it sits in the bag longer than if it was delivered directly to my home, it hasn't been quarantined, and there's no guarantee that it's healthy and eating.

Saying that, unless the ideal scenario presents itself, I prefer to just order online.

That got me to thinking: Are there any fish you would never order from an online vendor and that you should really see in person before buying?
copperband

Upvote 0

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had terrible luck with the guinea fowl leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris) online. I’ve ordered 5 and they have all arrived alive …..barely. They all buried in the sand immediately never to be seen alive again. They just don’t ship well. I’ve had two success stories with the blue star leopards and a Moyer’s leopard, but I don’t think I’ll order another guinea fowl :(

Upvote 0

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sharks. Eels. Puffer fish. delicate fish like lionfish.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back