Are there any good non "Designer Named" SPS Coral sites?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Does anyone have a good recommendation for a site that has reasonably priced non named SPS sticks for sale? I do not care about the Lineage and fancy names. All this does is jack up the price. I just care whether it is a Stag, Tenuis, Millepora, etc. I know this might be a shot in the dark and something to laugh at but figured it would be worth a shot.

I have looked at Diver's Den and I like the fact that they list the scientific name for the corals instead of Mickey Mouse's Rooty Tuity Fresh and Fruity Ultimate Stag. Are there any other sites out there comparable to Diver's Den in relation to price and non designer named corals?.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Battle corals has reasonably priced corals. If you stick with “his” corals you are OK. He’s always been generous if you put a pack together (aka Freebies). Don’t expect freebies, be grateful/appreciative when they arrive
Check out the marketplace. Most hobbyists sell for below “retail”

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get in with my local club. There seems to be only one in the area. I have talked to a few local hobbyists and they want crazy high prices for frags as well.

U

User1

View Badges
I've ordered from LA/DD a few times, smaller frags, and they have turned out fine once my tank was mature. I've since placed a few orders from Pacific East Aquaculture both soft, LPS, SPS, and Clams. No fancy names. I aim for sales and try to stay around 17 bucks per frag including shipping. Seems to work out. I ordered one specific piece of SPS that was 40 and a Japanese Willow that was 80 bucks I think. Other than that everything has been at my price point. Clams have been amazing.

Interesting story with Battle corals since it was mentioned here. I was reading the forums when I saw a post on the home page by them. One of their sales. I was not looking to buy but checked it out anyway and when I was done I said to myself, wow, that is a lot of coral for 100 bucks. So I stopped, started up a conversation with them, and said thank you. I was clear in saying that I'm not buying but wanted to say thank you as a hobbyist because the frags offered and the price point was in my range and I thought it was more than a fair deal. They replied back with a kind thank you. Again, I've never purchased from them but I found the prices fair and similar to what my limits are.

So - tl;dr: Pacific East Aquaculture. Send Battle Corals a message or visit and see if it works for you. LA/DD, sort by price, and what you want, and it will work.

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deals are out there, you just need to keep an eye out. POTO just did a sale this weekend with $40 and $20 frags site wide

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never ordered acros from swf but the sizes of their mini colonies are huge for the price. I’ve considered it many times. I just checked out their sps page, I see knock off(wild) WD, knock off(wild) asd rainbow mille, wild sunset mille, there’s good ones in there. I just don’t know if they are pest free is why I haven’t tried them before.

chizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battle corals have ridiculous names but it's all in fun. If you let him do a grab bag you'll be impressed. You pick the quantity/price. Cheaper will be less fancy but all will be quality.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want frags? or colonies?

If you want colonies you can take a gamble at ordering a massive amount 1200-1500 worth of WC colonies from a certain semi wholesaler, but you better have a large mature and well equipped SPS reef oriented setup with impeccable husbandry practices/knowledge.
transhipping maybe cheap, but the condition of their arrival is a complete gamble.

Then there is the pest risk, yes we all know dipping is key. but we also know eggs dont perish in dips usually,

Also, many WC colonies will go through a dormant period, lose color, temp slow stunted growth form stress of acclimation to a closed captive syntheic enviroment, corals that have been aquacultured and in lineage with long term grown in captivity/synthetic environments are well adapted will take off much faster, hold color etc etc.

just my two pennies

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want frags? or colonies?

If you want colonies you can take a gamble at ordering a massive amount 1200-1500 worth of WC colonies from a certain semi wholesaler, but you better have a large mature and well equipped SPS reef oriented setup with impeccable husbandry practices/knowledge.
transhipping maybe cheap, but the condition of their arrival is a complete gamble.

Then there is the pest risk, yes we all know dipping is key. but we also know eggs dont perish in dips usually,

Also, many WC colonies will go through a dormant period, lose color, temp slow stunted growth form stress of acclimation to a closed captive syntheic enviroment, corals that have been aquacultured and in lineage with long term grown in captivity/synthetic environments are well adapted will take off much faster, hold color etc etc.

just my two pennies

Just Frags. Just tired of just seeing the same blued out fancy named corals on every site for crazy money. I am not into that fad of collecting the next best thing. I just love corals and enjoy them growing. Colors are cool but honestly they could be brown sticks and as long as they were growing I would be just as happy. Just wanted to check to see if there are sites out there that have a lot of the "older" out of style corals that aren't crazy priced.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree that Pacific East Aquaculture , and Battle Corals are amazing really healthy ,non " boutique " fairly priced sticks online. I have dealt with PEA and Dr. Mac and crew are some of the most passionate and personable folks I have ever dealt with and they are more into the scientific name and how to make it flourish. Prices and service cant be beat. I have not ordered anything from Battlecorals yet , but they are on the top of list for my next online purchase. From what I have seen of them over the years , its another super passionate true reefer doing it, not some money hungry boutique guys who need to "make the numbers" for the investors. Plus both of those vendors broodstock is WAY older than "boutique" reefing that I am sure of.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Frags. Just tired of just seeing the same blued out fancy named corals on every site for crazy money. I am not into that fad of collecting the next best thing. I just love corals and enjoy them growing. Colors are cool but honestly they could be brown sticks and as long as they were growing I would be just as happy. Just wanted to check to see if there are sites out there that have a lot of the "older" out of style corals that aren't crazy priced.
You don’t have any local forums? Try putting out a wanted in NC ad, and I’m sure on this site there are plenty in your area. If all you’re looking for is just plain acros, then why bother why vendor sites? Go local. It’s cheaper and people will probably sell you chunks of random, nice corals for cheap.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back