Are there any good non "Designer Named" SPS Coral sites?

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t have any local forums? Try putting out a wanted in NC ad, and I’m sure on this site there are plenty in your area. If all you’re looking for is just plain acros, then why bother why vendor sites? Go local. It’s cheaper and people will probably sell you chunks of random, nice corals for cheap.

I used to do this when I was in the hobby a while ago in Florida. I am meeting up with a local reefer tomorrow that has really nice pieces(mostly from battle corals) and selling them for good prices. It is good to meet with local reefers that are into it for the hobby.

I guess I originally wanted to post for more of a rant to get it off my chest than anything else. While I don't agree with the jacked-up costs due to fancy names that online vendors charge, I do undertand it is a business and it is what it cost. I guess what bothers me more is the local scene. I just don't understand hobbyists that buy frags for $100+ and grow them out and sell nubs for $100. Just seems to me that it is causing more harm to the hobby than good.

I feel better now.

Last edited:

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one but don’t want to advertise it as I’ve noticed over the last 5 years or so they are outta stock more often so others have found it too. But it’s nice to have aside from the lfs’s in my area an online site to buy nice coral frags of all kinds although I just browse there Acro frags and load up on these relatively cheap but pretty frags without paying a premium like most of the vendors on this site charge. If you spend a little time on google like I did 5 years ago you will know when you find it from the price point you see on there corals.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although a few of the sponsor/vendors on here have good deals on Acros and other types of corals with a little r&r you will find the internet is a really big world full of all types of reef related websites and with a little google searching there are lots of good companies out there that are not affiliated with R2R that have very good prices on all types of corals. Just do some searching and you will find them. Also most of them have prices well below what the exact same coral would cost from a vendor/sponsor on R2R and the frags are usually much bigger to boot. You just gotta do some research. Local individuals are also an option and my best bang for my buck has come from them along with what they receive from me in a sale or trade.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag swaps are another great place. I've been lucky to visit 4-5 a year. There's usually a mix of vendors and hobbyists. I'll visit the hobbyists first because they're going to be the cheaper route and are not so heavy on named stuff. Both are usually more than willing to put together package deals.

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try lotus reef. He does have designer named coral but sells it as just general coral type names. I didn’t see any acros on the website but I know he has some I know if you call he will gladly send you pics of what he has.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree that Pacific East Aquaculture , and Battle Corals are amazing really healthy ,non " boutique " fairly priced sticks online. I have dealt with PEA and Dr. Mac and crew are some of the most passionate and personable folks I have ever dealt with and they are more into the scientific name and how to make it flourish. Prices and service cant be beat. I have not ordered anything from Battlecorals yet , but they are on the top of list for my next online purchase. From what I have seen of them over the years , its another super passionate true reefer doing it, not some money hungry boutique guys who need to "make the numbers" for the investors. Plus both of those vendors broodstock is WAY older than "boutique" reefing that I am sure of.

Just got a box from Battlecorals. Unbelievably great!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for frags, many of even the highend vendors and sponsors sell some old school or, now very popular acropora, that is still quite beautiful but not as rare so the asking price is very reasonable.

Also, take into account that many of the highend vendors have rigours QT practices/protocols for not only their corals, but fish and invertebrates that they house in their systems as well to ensure you don't run the risk of adding, not only coral pests, but possible fish parasites/diseases too.
For me, that's worth the bit extra.

I also think frag swaps are great, getting to know local reefers, trading frags is a great experience and I have met many cool people and great friends because of this hobby. The Buy and Sell platform deals to be had on this forum are a great source for some nice sticks on a budget too!
But again, even with dips, there will be risks, eggs and cyst/sessile stages of parasites can survive dips.

Take that for what it's worth I guess

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge fan of battlecorals myself. Can't beat the value of a battlebox.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooked up with a local hobbyist today and picked up some nice pieces for very good prices today!

20191206_155728.jpg

robn70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently gave Salt Critters a try and have been pleased with the zoo's and and acan's that I have ordered with their sales I ended up picking up 14 frags for around $100 including shipping.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree that Pacific East Aquaculture , and Battle Corals are amazing really healthy ,non " boutique " fairly priced sticks online. I have dealt with PEA and Dr. Mac and crew are some of the most passionate and personable folks I have ever dealt with and they are more into the scientific name and how to make it flourish. Prices and service cant be beat. I have not ordered anything from Battlecorals yet , but they are on the top of list for my next online purchase. From what I have seen of them over the years , its another super passionate true reefer doing it, not some money hungry boutique guys who need to "make the numbers" for the investors. Plus both of those vendors broodstock is WAY older than "boutique" reefing that I am sure of.

Pacific east has old broodstock? I thought they just get colonies in and frag and grow them then sell them? They sell fresh colonies too so I would guess they don’t really profit from keeping old Acropora colonies that have been fragged for years.

Nano427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not I’ve had relatively good luck on ebay. There are some auctions that start at $0.99. I try to win several auctions from the same seller to offset shipping which can be 40-50 bucks. I recently got 8 frags, a purple tri color, red planet, strawberry shortcake, raspberry shortcake, cali tort, etc etc all delivered to my door for under $150. That being said, I still try to support my LFS, but sometimes they just don’t have the sps that I’m looking for at the time.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back