Are there soft corals that don’t sting ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 gallons that is currently cycling with dry rock. It should be done in a few days, I hope, and I plan on getting a pair of clowns and 1 soft coral to start with. I only want easy and hardy corals and I like the ones with « long hair » (excuse my lack of knowledge of proper coral names) and I would like many.

Here is my question : my immune system isn’t the best and I don’t want to risk being stung by a coral. I’m afraid it would lead to a very bad physical reaction on my part.

Are there any soft corals that fit my criteria that wouldn’t pose a health threat ? (I know you have to wear gloves but chances are I will forget to wear them sometimes. I’ve had freshwater aquariums for so long and I am used to just dipping my bare hands and arms in it).

Thank you !

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, some soft corals (Plays and Zoas) can be dangerous from their capability to release toxins create chemical warfare in a reef.

Should be fine with mushrooms, but use some protection for your hands.

LPS / Stinger Corals
Duncans seem to be on the very low side of stinging potency.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a few weeks before adding a coral. That being said just get yourself a box of powder free latex gloves. I've also never been stung by a coral and have nems, hammers and palys

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To flat out answer your title question, NO. But let me explain before others jump down my throat. All corals have nematocysts....the stinging cells most commonly known in anemones and stinging jellyfish. For many corals the "stinger" isn't able to penetrate the skin or the toxin is very mild, so you don't even know that you've trigger these stinging cells. Having a level of sensitivity, I'm not sure anyone can answer if you'd be impacted, short of testing your sensitivity. Some corals I would definitely stay away from (and there are exceptions with some of theses) are anemones, zoas/palys, frogspawn and any corals associated with sweeper tentacles....many LPS. Again, not knowing your sensitivity, I'd be looking at starpolyps, , xenia, toadstool, to mention a few.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS / Stinger Corals
Duncans seem to be on the very low side of stinging potency.

Are these three choices or one ? LPS, stinger corals (stinger corals don‘t sting ?) and Duncans ?

Wait a few weeks before adding a coral.

Get the reef fully cycled first.
Is the only reason to wait to be cycled ? If so I’m planning to wait until I am. I’ve been in the nitrite spike phase for 2-3 days so hopefully it’s done soon.

Again, not knowing your sensitivity, I'd be looking at starpolyps, , xenia, toadstool, to mention a few.

Ok, I’m taking notes of these three.

I guess « long hair », my favorite, is called « sweeper tentacles » so that’s out of the question.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldnt have an issue with Softies or even LPS...now an Anemone, that can be a different story depending on how sensitive you are. I frag and handle a lot of corals/Anemones often without much in the way of PPE (unless its Palys or Zoas) although I do wear some to be sure! I have never had an issue yet except for the one time My Volitan Lion Fish got me! Yeah that left a mark for sure!

With a new tank you want to take it slow and easy. This is a journey not a rat race. You will hear a lot of us old salty Reefers say "Nothing good happens in a reef tank fast". There is a lot of truth to this. The purpose of waiting a while after your tank is cycled is to give it a chance to stabilize and mature a bit before you start dumping a huge bioload into it which can often cause a "Tank Crash". Soft corals wouldnt present much of a bio load impact if done one at a time about once every couple of weeks so you can allow your tank to adjust to the added load it has to support. Fish will add a much higher bioload on a tank and do so more rapidly than a coral will. With a reef tank Slow and Steady will win you the race much more often than Fast and Furious will.

Some good soft corals that should be pretty safe for you can be things like Xenia, Kenya Tree Coral, Leathers (toad stool, finger ect....), Mushrooms, Ricordia, Clove Polyps, Green Starburst Polyps just to name a few. Be careful as some of these can aggressively over grow your tank and other corals choking them out of space and light.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these three choices or one ? LPS, stinger corals (stinger corals don‘t sting ?) and Duncans ?

Is the only reason to wait to be cycled ? If so I’m planning to wait until I am. I’ve been in the nitrite spike phase for 2-3 days so hopefully it’s done soon.

Ok, I’m taking notes of these three.

I guess « long hair », my favorite, is called « sweeper tentacles » so that’s out of the question.
Coral I'd recommend 3 or 4 weeks after you add fish. Let the tank mature just a little and get used to keeping your parameters in order.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're asking about stingy soft corals, but I don't know of any.
Some softies can be toxic but their not stinger type of corals.

Just follow @redfishbluefish lead

Good Luck!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search for "long tentacle toadstool". That should meet your requirements.
Also any of the finger leathers. They don't have long tentacles but once they grow out their "branches" they can sway in the current which looks cool.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also any of the finger leathers. They don't have long tentacles but once they grow out their "branches" they can sway in the current which looks cool.

Thank you. And those are less toxic and not likely to sting ?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldnt have an issue with Softies or even LPS...now an Anemone, that can be a different story depending on how sensitive you are. I frag and handle a lot of corals/Anemones often without much in the way of PPE (unless its Palys or Zoas) although I do wear some to be sure! I have never had an issue yet except for the one time My Volitan Lion Fish got me! Yeah that left a mark for sure!

With a new tank you want to take it slow and easy. This is a journey not a rat race. You will hear a lot of us old salty Reefers say "Nothing good happens in a reef tank fast". There is a lot of truth to this. The purpose of waiting a while after your tank is cycled is to give it a chance to stabilize and mature a bit before you start dumping a huge bioload into it which can often cause a "Tank Crash". Soft corals wouldnt present much of a bio load impact if done one at a time about once every couple of weeks so you can allow your tank to adjust to the added load it has to support. Fish will add a much higher bioload on a tank and do so more rapidly than a coral will. With a reef tank Slow and Steady will win you the race much more often than Fast and Furious will.

Some good soft corals that should be pretty safe for you can be things like Xenia, Kenya Tree Coral, Leathers (toad stool, finger ect....), Mushrooms, Ricordia, Clove Polyps, Green Starburst Polyps just to name a few. Be careful as some of these can aggressively over grow your tank and other corals choking them out of space and light.
Euphilia can pack a punch.

If you want some height and texture keyna trees are good. Firework cloves and mushrooms. If you want some great color rock flowers anemones aren't that aggressive and add a lot to a tank

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers get massive quick. My largest is qbout 15 inches across. The same front to back. They are some cool corals though. Some of my favs

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya trees are great...until they start shedding all over your tank. I've only had mine for a month, and it's already dropped four branchlets. If you're going to keep one in a softie garden, you're going to be pulling up these "weeds" forever.

I'm going to add to the mushroom chorus. They're really so underrated, and many of them are gorgeous and fluoresce beautifully with the Evo's blue lights.

If corals are a risk, though, why not go for macro? Dragon's breath is stunning under the blue lights, and halimeda (once it gets established) is great. Algae, along with fish and inverts, adds enough movement and colour to keep a small tank like this interesting.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. And those are less toxic and not likely to sting ?
Leathers will release a very mild toxin as a form of chemical warfare in your tank to keep other corals from over growing it. The toxin they release is a growth inhibiting type toxin unlike the neuro toxin that Palys and Zoas can relase that will straight up kill you potentially. This is usually a non issue in a tank full of tank mates with frequent water changes and running carbon. I have never herd of a case where its been reported to harm a human. In fact GARF actually supplies some Leathers to a company doing research with the toxin they have as a possible cancer treatment or cure or at least at one point they were. Unless your are handling Zoas and Palys I dont think you will have a problem, even then, with plastic gloves and face shield and proper handling procedures you should still be okay.

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confused? Can you explain what you mean by your immune system isn't the best?

The ability of a coral to cause damage has nothing to do with your immune system.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suggesting a Duncan to start once all your parameters are set....I like Xenia as well. With these and if you have any allergies (this would be more my concern), imuno compromised condition, you should be good to go.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palys and zoa should be fine. They won’t sting you and they don’t release enough toxin to hurt a reef unless your mailing them inside the tank. I have hundreds in my tank no issue. I also frag them bare handed and don’t have any problems.

If you’re just looking for something easy though, they aren’t soft corals but candy canes are easy to take care of and look cool. Plus your clowns may live in the branches

Back