Are there T5 fixtures that can sit on the lid?

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm setting up a new tank, and I want the lighting to be 3, 165W viparspectras. I have heard mixed opinions on these, some saying their corals have grown a bunch and others saying that they only stayed alive. Because of this I want to add some T5 light fixtures to supplement the LEDs. I want to keep SPS in here and I want to make sure they can thrive. I'm gonna be hanging the LEDs from the ceiling only a few inches above the tank and I want to add some T5 fixtures right on the glass lid. Where can I find some T5 fixtures that are meant to sit on the tank? And what color bulbs would be the best for my goal of being able to keep SPS? My tank is about 225 gallons, 72 × 27 x 27.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm setting up a new tank, and I want the lighting to be 3, 165W viparspectras. I have heard mixed opinions on these, some saying their corals have grown a bunch and others saying that they only stayed alive. Because of this I want to add some T5 light fixtures to supplement the LEDs. I want to keep SPS in here and I want to make sure they can thrive. I'm gonna be hanging the LEDs from the ceiling only a few inches above the tank and I want to add some T5 fixtures right on the glass lid. Where can I find some T5 fixtures that are meant to sit on the tank? And what color bulbs would be the best for my goal of being able to keep SPS? My tank is about 225 gallons, 72 × 27 x 27.
Hmmm... I'm not sure if I have seen this. My first thought is par though, can you get a way tp measure it to make sure you're not cooking the corals too much?

#reefsquad @reefsqaud does anyone know more about light options?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would have to be a sealed unit with some type of heat sink housing. Otherwise the electrical connections (pins & sockets) would rapidly corrode. I'm not aware of such a fixture, but I'll look!

I did find these on Amazon and a couple other places, available in 36"-48" sizes...
WavePoint 48-Inch 216-Watt 4 Bulb High Output T-5 Lighting System, Black

... and here's another listing that includes the model numbers for all three at the bottom.

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I would add to above a rise In tank temp being right on the glass. You loose any air flow that allows cooling between the fixture and the tank by putting it on glass. Plus moving it anytime maintenance is needed. I would guess even with cooling, your bulbs will not get enough to cool them and they would burn quickly.

Just a few thoughts. I would leave some air gap between the 2

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about one of the hybrid fixtures made by ATI. I bet they could be adapted to the viparspectras. They can hang from the ceiling or they have wall mounts for them. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/61-hybrid-t5ho-4x39w-fixture-aquatic-life.html

I can't imagine having the T5's actually on the glass. Won't they obstruct the LED's above them?
Those hybrid fixtures look like a good option. Would drywall be able to support the 3 viparspectras mounted on the t5 fixture? I'm gonna have the LEDs pretty close to the lid so I don't think the T5s would take too much away from the LEDs if they were on the glass.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that has them hung with drywall screws. I'm chicken and would probably want anything that heavy hanging from a stud.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get an ATI Sunpower that would cover the whole surface area of your tank and call it a great day! You can place the ATI fixture right above the tank resting on pieces of wood. You shouldn't do the same with LED fixtures! A regular Sunpower will grow any coral and will last your life time! The picture below shows one of my 75gal. systems with a dimmable Sunpower. I placed a canopy above that fixture.

1610424050568.png

OP
OP
R

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get an ATI Sunpower that would cover the whole surface area of your tank and call it a great day! You can place the ATI fixture right above the tank resting on pieces of wood. You shouldn't do the same with LED fixtures! A regular Sunpower will grow any coral and will last your life time! The picture below shows one of my 75gal. systems with a dimmable Sunpower. I placed a canopy above that fixture.

1610424050568.png
That looks like a great option, I was considering just doing T5s since I don't want to spend 2-3k on good LEDs. Unfortunately looks like they are out of the 60" at the moment.

OP
OP
R

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1610424050568.png
How often do you change the bulbs?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a great option, I was considering just doing T5s since I don't want to spend 2-3k on good LEDs. Unfortunately looks like they are out of the 60" at the moment.
I would wait til they get them back in stock. Another option is to contact ATI directly and inquire.
I change my bulbs once a year. It's a pleasure to change them and forget about it til next year. Most bulb combos will grow basically anything you want, if the system's water is well managed and the tank isn't too deep. T5s can be used well in tanks up to 24" deep selecting species to be placed accordingly. Set and forget! Great growth and amazing colors! You won't regret!! No need dimmable, get the simple Sunpower.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just say that it isn't typically a good idea to have the light - either LED or T5 - so close to the water. Also uncommon is a glass top - it just gets fouled up with condensation and salt creep, and blocks light. Most lights are at least 12" off the water.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above... I have my Viparspectra mounted about 12" above the water and even at that, it's lower than the 14"-20" recommended by BRS in their review of that light.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if you’re going to have the light that close I would definitely go with all T5’s. The spread on those leds suck and you really want to hang them up higher.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most T5’s run fairly cool until you use an ATI PowerModule. I would not try it because of a few reasons. One being it will heat up the bulbs and reduce their life span.

I think just putting a piece of wood on the outside edges would be a good choice (if it’s not heating up the wood too hot) just to get the fixture a few inches off the tank. Hanging one is fairly simple and cheap with a plumb Bob and hanging kit.

0D9D6C96-BFA8-4191-AEA1-915DB93942A2.jpeg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a fan running while lights were on because of the canopy that was on top of that fixture. The only reason I had to use the fixture that close was because of the canopy. My other systems have them always hanging from the ceiling. That is the best! 10-12" off the water surface is fine. Can go closer than that, if you want. T5s are the best lights overall. Very easy to use and no problems with heating the water. In hot weather cooling is done by using a simple fan between the water surface and the fixture. Easiest, best way to lit a reef without any trouble at all. Results will be better than many expect!!! ATI Sunpower has it's cooling system that allows more efficiency and longer life for the bulbs, independent of how close to the water the fixture is. My oldest fixture is 12+ years old. It will last your life time if you take care of it!!!

OP
OP
R

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone I think I will be going full T5s with this setup. I'm assuming I should get the 8 bulb vs the 6 bulb? My tank is 72 in × 27 in x 27 in.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back