Are there three kinds of reefers?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 points determine a plane, and we’re in outer space. So we need at least 4 points, not to mention time but if you look closely at my tank you will see it’s a huge status symbol .
It’s not cigar shaped, like the universe,...(0,1,3,7,x) :)

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an interesting thread. Having built my tank from fiberglass, plywood and glass and am thoroughly enjoying migrating from my classic apex to the new controller (even with all the problems :rolleyes: ), I'm definitely part of the first crowd. I use a color wheel and heavily researched aquascaping, I would also have to land in the second crowd. That said, I admire the third crowd and love their aquariums.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO generalized statements compartmentalizing ppl into three camps is unwarranted.

We're all reefers going after the same goal: through technology, Husbandry skills, money invested, blood,sweat and tears efforts to have the most successful tank that is vibrant, thriving and looks awesome

Just like in Sports....the goal is to WIN THE GAME. how you get there can be many many paths. In Reefering we all want to WIN THE GAME with an awesome looking tank.

Last edited:

Mtnbikedan01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After attending Texas coral fest I’m disgusted to say there is a fourth category. The chop shop reefer. I heard a “dealer” trying to sell based on how fast or what was ready to be cut to sell. No respect to the animals anymore just what could be done to them. So sad to see that side of the hobby.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrived at #3 within the last few months thankfully. This is my first reef and I can be a bit OCD. #1 I obsessed on equipment initially. #2 Then every frag placement and fish choice had to be perfect for visual. With mature tank (and owner), we have success. Found a balance.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finances and time constraints dictate that I must be team 3. Running an old severely scratched up 90 gallon disqualifies me from 1 or 2, but in different circumstances I could be any or all three.

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there's a number 4 , for the old-school guys who just like to keep fish and a happy healthy environment, we believe that fish are the stars of the show and not the backup actor to the situation, to me, the Fish are the stars and corals are the supporting actors and it all comes together in a system that gives these animals a place to be because let's face it they would have died in the pet store

Weller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should it take before I know which of the 3 I am? My tank has bare minimum gear, a hob, a phos reactor that has been converted to a cartridge type filter ane a heater. My aquascape is litterally just how I put the rocks in the last time I cleaned the tank and my reef is no where near real reef or eco system. For the time being I am the 4th type? I like the look of the fish and coral individually and spend most of my time gazing into the tank with no purpose and too lazy to clean the glass.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm split between 1 and 3. I really am 3, but lazy so I want everything done right and automated, so there is very little maintenance.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there's a number 4 , for the old-school guys who just like to keep fish and a happy healthy environment, we believe that fish are the stars of the show and not the backup actor to the situation, to me, the Fish are the stars and corals are the supporting actors and it all comes together in a system that gives these animals a place to be because let's face it they would have died in the pet store
I like all creatures. The more variety the better. Fish, lots of interesting inverts, corals of course.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back