Are there three kinds of reefers?

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, in terms of the hobby, I've found there are basically three different philosophies that people have when it comes to reefing. Think of them as points on a triangle, with most people falling towards one or the other:

The reef tank as a machine::

People who take this philosophy tend to be really into the "gear" side of the hobby. They are really into all aspects of reef construction and setup, from building stands to designing intricate plumbing systems to measuring PAR on lighting systems. These folks are the ones which have gone "all in" regarding reef controllers, and want to try to quantify how well their tank is doing by looking at water chemistry parameters and continually tweaking until the ideal result has been achieved, though they of course also pay attention to things such as how well the corals in the tank seem to be growing. They tend towards wanting to begin a system with dry rock, because they want to have all of the tank inputs under their control to observe the outputs.

The reef tank as a work of art:

These are the people who were primarily attracted to reefing due to the range of colors and forms available to us. The reef tank in this paradigm is all about looking good. There is lots of emphasis on aquascaping, which leads them to lean towards dry rock, where a lot of time can be spent considering shape and placement beyond a pile of rubble. Coral which is growing well, but which has "browned out" a bit is a sign of failure. Detritus on the sandbed (if they have one) drives them crazy, as do those pesky sessile inverts (both introduced and hitchhikers) which decide to grow in unsightly locations.

The reef tank as a miniature ecosystem:

People who approach reefing with this philosophy essentially measure success by the degree to which they can use "natural reefing practices" to set up a semi-self-sustaining tank. They tend to be a lot more tolerant of muck and funk growing in the nether regions of the tank. They also tend to be a lot more open minded regarding tank hitchhikers - in fact they tend to be the people who love using live rock when available and seeing what sort of unexpected organisms crawl out as it matures. Obviously a major algae outbreak or a coral-eating pest needs to be addressed, but otherwise nature finds a balance. Success is measured by seeing how much tank biodiversity you can cultivate.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I'm category 1... except: "looking at water chemistry parameters and continually tweaking "

Chasing numbers is a bad habit. Don't do it. Chasing STABILITY, on the other hand, monitoring numbers not to get it perfect, but to see change as an indicator of a possible problem, is certainly something I do, and encourage in others.

This would certainly change over time, as well. I started firmly in category 3, but in the mid 80's, that was how it was done. DSB's, wild harvested live rock... very limited choices in gear.

Work of art? Ok, so artist, I'm not. I can't imagine being unhappy with a growing, healthy coral simply because it was not a bright color. I guess, realistically, I wouldn't really understand this point of view.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just a reefer, no categories. I enjoy parts of all 3 types.

I agree w/DSC - we're all addicts to a glass box w/saltwater & inhabitants that require us to feed, keep their eco-system in check, w/a touch of technology to boot. Plus we get to enjoy our endeavors.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guilty as charged. But I feel like I fall into the first and third of these categories! Kinda fall into the title of the second category but not really the explanation or break down in the philosophy.

Love my gear but also have tremendous respect for the tiniest of critters as I do believe, everything has its place in the living artwork, mmm sorry, I meant ecosystem we put together in our homes or anywhere else.

Back